April 19, 2024, 06:21:00 AM

News:

Need a new rear tire.

Started by dubepj, July 11, 2019, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

2013 Dyna Switchback.  Rear tire just about worn out.  Original tire is a Dunlop D401 160/70B17.  I can buy a new Metzeler RoadtecZ6 160/70ZR17 cheap.  I know this is a Radial.  Front tire is still the original Dunlop D402F Bias.

Can you guy see an issue using Radial on the back and Bias on the front???  Thanks for your help.

a_disalvo

Check out Perili, good tires at a reasonable price. Frank

Coyote

Quote from: dubepj on July 11, 2019, 08:00:21 AM
I can buy a new Metzeler RoadtecZ6 160/70ZR17 cheap.

Made in China  :down:

Dunlop, made in USA  :up:

omega1

Can you guy see an issue using Radial on the back and Bias on the front???  Thanks for your help.

My 2008 Softail Custom came standard with a radial rear and bias front.

Bias rear and radial front is apparently a no-no.

Burnout

I'd check with the MFGR.

I think the radial/bias ply BS only applies to cars with skinny tires.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Buglet

Just had a Dunlop was out 5 oz rim was check OK, I guess someone at Dunlop was sleeping or texting on the job.   

smoserx1

I really can't see why it would make any difference.  They used to say not to put a radial and bias ply tire on the same axle of a car, but that is apples and oranges to a bike.  That being said I have always believed bike tires are not matched front to back.  The are usually different construction/tread/size/etc. and the same rear tire has often been used on many different models with many front tires from almost the same size to very skinny front treads.  I had 2 Metzelers long ago and was not impressed, but hey if you can get one cheap, why not??

bigfoot5x

I don't know what your definition of cheap is but you can get a Dunlop American Elite. This is the same as the Harley Davidson Dunlop that comes on stock touring bikes. The tread pattern is different but the tire compounds are the same. I like it and use it on my Street Glides and my wife's Super Glide. It seems that lots of Independent guys keep them in stock around here. They are slightly more than $100 less than the HD tire. At my dealer, it can be bought and installed for less than the stock HD tire cost alone.

Burnout

For a MC I think the profile of the tire is more important.

A flat tread pattern causes the center of gravity to shift rapidly when the bike is leaned to turn, this fights the operators lean input and tries to stand up the bike.

I want to be able to ride with no hands and with one finger push on the bars in the direction I wan to go.

When I lean my body I want the bike to predictably drop down to the inside and turn.

When the bike tries to fight my input and stand up is when I have problems. You can't turn a bike without leaning it...

A rear tire with a flat/wide profile shifts the center of gravity and fights when it is leaned to turn.

This also causes a wobbly feel and can actually induce a wobble when running parallel to a ridge in the pavement.

Garry in AZ

I won't run Metzler tires on anything. I had the sidewall blow out of a fresh Metzler front tire at freeway speeds. A year later, Hippo (RIP Frank) had the same thing happen to him. I don't know where they are made this week, but the ones that failed for Hippo and I were made in Brazil. No more Metzlers for me. Dunlops on my Harleys, Michelins on the other bikes.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

Burnout

Nothing wrong with Metzler tires if you keep enough air in them!

Most any sidewall failure on a tire is due to overloading/inflation, the rest are road hazard.

IronButt70

Quote from: Garry in AZ on July 12, 2019, 08:49:18 AM
I won't run Metzler tires on anything. I had the sidewall blow out of a fresh Metzler front tire at freeway speeds. A year later, Hippo (RIP Frank) had the same thing happen to him. I don't know where they are made this week, but the ones that failed for Hippo and I were made in Brazil. No more Metzlers for me. Dunlops on my Harleys, Michelins on the other bikes.

Garry

IIRC Metzler moved all their N.A. manufacturing operations to Brazil maybe 10 years ago. Seems like they went downhill after that. Have seen other reports about sidewall failures and chunks of rubber being slung off.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Coyote

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 12, 2019, 12:50:02 PM

Garry

IIRC Metzler moved all their N.A. manufacturing operations to Brazil maybe 10 years ago. Seems like they went downhill after that. Have seen other reports about sidewall failures and chunks of rubber being slung off.

Now they are in China

RKRuss

My 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour came new with Dunlop E3 radial on the rear and E3 Bias on the front. No issues at all running that combo.

Russ.

boggart

Yes, ran mine for over 6 months with a radial on the rear and bias on the front.  No issues to be noted.  However, it sure did ride nicer when I put the radial on front as well.

D.W.

Quote from: Coyote on July 11, 2019, 09:08:26 AM

I believe only the American Elite model is American made.

Coyote

Quote from: D.W. on August 04, 2019, 05:20:24 PM

Why buy anything else???

tomcat64

Why would you run mis-matched tires? Really, you only have 2.

D.W.

August 05, 2019, 01:55:17 PM #18 Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:59:41 PM by D.W.
Quote from: Coyote on August 04, 2019, 07:47:05 PM
Because they're not that great of a tire.

Because the Americans Elites are still not that great of a tire.

Why buy anything else???

PoorUB

Quote from: D.W. on August 05, 2019, 01:55:17 PM

Why buy anything else???

DW, which tire are you talking  about?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

D.W.

Quote from: PoorUB on August 05, 2019, 02:09:48 PM

Why buy anything else???

The Dunlop American Elite.

Mirrmu

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 12, 2019, 12:50:02 PM

Garry

Probably a US executive made that decision,

PoorUB

Quote from: D.W. on August 05, 2019, 03:36:03 PM

Which tire is a great tire then?

I have been running American Elites since they came out and have zero complaints. They hold the road well, and have good life too.

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on August 05, 2019, 03:55:20 PM
I have been running American Elites since they came out and have zero complaints. They hold the road well, and have good life too.

:up: Yep

Coff 06

Quote from: Coyote on August 05, 2019, 04:13:43 PM

:up: Yep

:up: I agree   Best mileage I've ever got on my 200/17 rear      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Hossamania

I have to say, I've been very happy with the AEs. Each new set seems to be a little better than the last, and they have a long life.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

D.W.

I'm glad you feel that way about your Dunlop's, I however don't think they are that great in the aspects you've described. I think the best quality of the tire is the stiffer sidewall which is instantly noticeable on the heavier bikes. I however think the grip is lack luster and I feel the performance fall off over the wearing process is awfully noticeable. They did wear better than the commander II's by about 1,000 miles, not really enough for me to "feel" they really last any longer.  What tire do I feel is great? Well none of the options for my bike really are "great" they have their strong points and their weakness. I think the Metzeler crusitech looks very promising, despite its country of origin., and I look forward to trying a new set in the canyons soon.

PoorUB

Interesting! I never felt that way about them. I can drag the foot boards comfortably and never felt like the tires were holding me back. I have not tried the Commanders but hear good about them too. I never felt the need to try any other tire after I started running the AE.

Hossamania

Quote from: D.W. on August 06, 2019, 09:21:36 AM

I'm glad you feel that way about your Dunlop's, I however don't think they are that great in the aspects you've described. I think the best quality of the tire is the stiffer sidewall which is instantly noticeable on the heavier bikes. I however think the grip is lack luster and I feel the performance fall off over the wearing process is awfully noticeable. They did wear better than the commander II's by about 1,000 miles, not really enough for me to "feel" they really last any longer.  What tire do I feel is great? Well none of the options for my bike really are "great" they have their strong points and their weakness. I think the Metzeler crusitech looks very promising, despite its country of origin., and I look forward to trying a new set in the canyons soon.

I'm not carving canyons, so I can see your point. The last rear tire I had lasted 20,000 miles which was way more than I had ever experienced with other bikes and tire sizes. I have two newer ones on my old RK, so we'll see how long they go, they last much longer than stock, which went away at about 6000 miles. I expect to get about 12,000 out of the rear. We shall see.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

D.W.

Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2019, 09:48:27 AM
Quote from: D.W. on August 06, 2019, 09:21:36 AM

I'm not carving canyons, so I can see your point. The last rear tire I had lasted 20,000 miles which was way more than I had ever experienced with other bikes and tire sizes. I have two newer ones on my old RK, so we'll see how long they go, they last much longer than stock, which went away at about 6000 miles. I expect to get about 12,000 out of the rear. We shall see.

God, I wish I could get that kind of mileage out of a tire. I hear people say they can get that kind of mileage  around here and it just blows my mind. I got around 4K on my last American Elite before it was too slick to have any kind of fun on.

PoorUB

I get 18,000 miles on a rear AE, my buddy does too.

Finn

IIRC Metzeler Z6 divides opinions: some like it and some don't. But then again which doesn't?

Is the reason for this tyre being cheap because it is over two years old?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Boe Cole

Went for a ride last weekend - ended up with a car key embedded in my rear tire - all the way to the handle of the key.  While waiting for a trailer to take the bike home, looked at my front tire and realized it was getting close to the end of life as well.  Sooooo - now its off to the indy for two new tires.  I live in the Smokey mountains (Tail of the Dragon country) so I'm more concerned with tire that hold the road going through corners than long tread life.  In a good year, I'm only able to put about 3,500 miles on my bike so if i get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires, I'm good for three years.

Have had good luck with Michelin tires but am open to suggestions as I'm going to be replacing both at the same time.  Thoughts???
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

D.W.

Quote from: Boe Cole on August 08, 2019, 09:50:22 AM
Went for a ride last weekend - ended up with a car key embedded in my rear tire - all the way to the handle of the key.  While waiting for a trailer to take the bike home, looked at my front tire and realized it was getting close to the end of life as well.  Sooooo - now its off to the indy for two new tires.  I live in the Smokey mountains (Tail of the Dragon country) so I'm more concerned with tire that hold the road going through corners than long tread life.  In a good year, I'm only able to put about 3,500 miles on my bike so if i get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires, I'm good for three years.

Have had good luck with Michelin tires but am open to suggestions as I'm going to be replacing both at the same time.  Thoughts???

The Perelli night dragons have great grip, but still lack in the profile department. The new metzler cruisetech's have a "sport touring" profile that is said to make the bike easier to flick into turns while increasing the contact patch at lean angle. They'll be the next set of tires I run.

calif phil

. The new metzler cruisetech's have a "sport touring" profile that is said to make the bike easier to flick into turns while increasing the contact patch at lean angle. They'll be the next set of tires I run.
[/quote]

I went to a class on the Metzeler CruiseTec   They are probably the stickiest and best handling tire for a Harley. I have never used them but I would not think you would get 5000 miles out of the rear tire, but they didn't make them for long life. 

Bob Cole I think the new Avon Cobra Chrome would be an excellent tire for your bike. 

Moparnut72

I just had new tires put on my bike this morning. My Indy likes Michelin but they don't make one of my sizes, 130 x 70 x 18 front, 200 x 60 x 16 rear. I had only two choices from premium brands, Avon and Metzler. He doesn't recommend Metzlers and since I had put Avon Cobras on my Sporty and liked them, I went with the Avon Cobra Chromes. I haven't had the chance to ride but a couple miles so far so I can't report much yet. But they do feel good so far. I am heading out for the Sacramento Mile tomorrow with canyon and highway riding. I will update when I get back. My bike is not a Harley though but it is very similar to VRod.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Deye76

" I can drag the foot boards comfortably"
And get 18000 miles? Wow.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP