April 26, 2024, 12:10:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which shocks for a 2016 Limited?

Started by PoorUB, July 18, 2019, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Best shocks for my 2016 Limited. Screw the price, which are the best? Ohins, Progressive, Revo, Worx, others? Remote reservoir? i am sick and tired of the lumber wagon ride. I know it will never be as good as the beemer, but there has to be some improvement over the stock air shocks! And for the record, I tried a pair of Harley's Premium adjust able shocks.  :down: Maybe I have gotten spoiled!

I keep looking at shocks, seems like $750 is the starting point for decent shocks, but will I be sorry and wish I had just bought the $1500 pair instead? I am kind of a cry once, bite it and buy the best. I hate it when I try to be cheap and end up doing it twice!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

BVHOG says the Russ Wernimont shocks work great on his 16 Limited.
He replaced Revo shocks with the them and said they were a huge improvement.
  I think they will be my next set of shocks for my bike when I replace the Super Shox.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

harpwrench

I like ohlins HD357 best on my 16 limited, because you can get the springs you really need and fully adjustable dampening for the load and roads. Super shox rode horrible. Terry Cable were very very nice solo, but not great 2-up on rough roads and the next stiffer springs were too stiff deal with the non-adjustable dampening. HD0044 is the same except they have length adjusters on bottom, not needed IMO. I started with 25nm springs, then 27, now have 29's and finally have a ride that handles our horrible roads without launching my wife out of her seat. I weigh 200, she weighs 150, and keeps too much crap in the bags.

boooby1744

The 044 isfor 2014 and up,357 for pre 14 bikes. Or the the 022,which is half the price....

Tail Ridr

Quote from: No Cents on July 18, 2019, 02:36:17 PM
  BVHOG says the Russ Wernimont shocks work great on his 16 Limited.

Well, they do have the name of Walker-Evans behind them...another good name in performance shocks.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

hotbo

I ran Terrycable shocks on my 16 limited and loved them! I know have a set of his shocks on my 19FLHX. Heck of nice feller and he builds them to your specs,Travis  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

klammer76

I have Ohlins 13" Black Lines on my 2002. They work well (especially the heavier I load). I'm 205-210, GF is 150-155. I started with 27nm springs and went to 25nm. If doing it again I would also look at the Pro Actions.

harpwrench

08-back bikes ride smoother anyway imo, 09-up need more spring

PoorUB

Quote from: harpwrench on July 19, 2019, 05:24:32 AM
08-back bikes ride smoother anyway imo, 09-up need more spring

My '05 rode pretty decent, but then it had the "rear steer" in the corners. My '10 and '16 was/is better handling, but crappy suspension.

choseneasy

I thought guys were  urging the new M8 style shocks on older bikes and seeing a huge improvement?

PoorUB

Quote from: choseneasy on July 19, 2019, 05:47:56 AM
I thought guys were  urging the new M8 style shocks on older bikes and seeing a huge improvement?

Tried them, different, but not any better. Sprung to heavy for my 180 pounds.

choseneasy

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

harpwrench

Quote from: PoorUB on July 19, 2019, 05:50:58 AM
Quote from: choseneasy on July 19, 2019, 05:47:56 AM

Tried them, different, but not any better. Sprung to heavy for my 180 pounds.
You could buzz down to rapid city for the rally and have Terry put on a set of his shocks. I think they'd be perfect for your weight and he will take them back if you aren't impressed.

BVHOG

Used the Revo shocks, good shocks and a definite improvement over stock.  Both leaked very early on. Installed the RWD shocks and simply cannot believe the difference. Rode for the first time with them two up last weekend over some nasty roads and the wife never complained once. Now when you consider a woman not complaining that should say it all right there, lol
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

boggart

The best?  Ohlins HD-044.  My shock history on my 14' was...
Stock air - terrible by all counts
18 Touring shocks - a little better, but really, stock was so bad that a little better doesn't help
Terry Cable - I think with time and testing they could be made to be "ok" if you ride solo, and are in the mood to settle
Ohlins #2 ADJ from Howard  - Great shocks.  Loved the extra travel, but I was on the quest for perfect.  Couldn't really get the ride as good as I knew it could be with the single adjustment.
Ohlins HD-044 - Queue the singing choir of angels.  Finally, with the right spring, proper setup (don't just throw them on, follow the instructions) and these shocks ride, and perform in twisties like they should.  I get a great sporty ride solo, and a superior cushy (while still performing flawlessly) when riding 2 up. 

I wish I would have just bit the bullet and spent the big money up front.  It would have been a lot cheaper in the long run, and I wouldn't have wasted 2 years searching for the ride I wanted.

Hope that helps.

tomcat64

we have legends and progressive,, you can try the out at no risk

Deye76

3 guys that own indy shops told me legends Revo A were  the best. Especially for my FXRP. Glad I didn't pay full price. Friend won a pair in a silent auction, he sold them to me for $450.00 (normally almost a grand). Only a little better than the $219.00 Hagon's I took off. Like BV, mine had a leak, only right out of the box. I'm convinced most motorcycle shocks are by & large, not that much different, one brand to the other. Guys that brag about their other non-HD bikes, must realize the whole chassis design has more to do with a good ride than just a pair of shocks. When someone lays down a weeks wages on shocks, they swear by them. IME, changes in our weight, age, physical shape, have a lot to do with our comfort zones. YMMV.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on July 19, 2019, 04:42:12 PM
3 guys that own indy shops told me legends Revo A were  the best. Especially for my FXRP. Glad I didn't pay full price. Friend won a pair in a silent auction, he sold them to me for $450.00 (normally almost a grand). Only a little better than the $219.00 Hagon's I took off. Like BV, mine had a leak, only right out of the box. I'm convinced most motorcycle shocks are by & large, not that much different, one brand to the other. Guys that brag about their other non-HD bikes, must realize the whole chassis design has more to do with a good ride than just a pair of shocks. When someone lays down a weeks wages on shocks, they swear by them. IME, changes in our weight, age, physical shape, have a lot to do with our comfort zones. YMMV.

You know my thoughts on 'The best!'. Easy to proclaim, very hard too quantify. Kong used to make very good shocks for harleys. Not sure if they were ever 'The best!', but they sold a license to Ikon in Australia to manufacture them. I think they sell for around $450-$650 full retail depending on spring and color options. I bought a used set off eBay for $180 for my TC bagger. The oem shocks were total junk. Even after replacing the oil in them, adjusting the air pressure, etc. Total junk. The Ikon shocks made a HUGE difference. I cannot imagine the juice being worth the squeeze from a set of $1,400 piggy backs. Especially on a bagger. The best, thats funny.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

92flhtcu

I'll prolly get bashed for this, but I have no complaints on my Progressive 444's, maybe someday I'll try the Ohlins, just to see the diff, but for $600ish, I love them
Need a bigger garage

Tollbooth

Hossamania

I'm disappointed to hear the Revos seem to be leaking on a regular basis. I guess if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I will look pretty hard at the Ohlins, and now the Russ Wernimont shocks. Hadn't really heard of them until now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

Hoss, yeah Revo A is the same shock for, baggers, Dyna's and FXR.  :dgust:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

boooby1744

I've got the Ohlin 772's,only 200 miles on them,not much riding this year. They are set at just a hair under 1" sag,4 clicks less on the factory damping. Absolutely way better than stock. The 357's do have adjustable compression damping and that extra 1/2 inch of travel I think they're worth the extra $$.

FloridaJim5

Quote from: Hossamania on July 20, 2019, 10:34:01 AM
I'm disappointed to hear the Revos seem to be leaking on a regular basis. I guess if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I will look pretty hard at the Ohlins, and now the Russ Wernimont shocks. Hadn't really heard of them until now.

I've had my Legend Revo A's for about 2 years and they have been fantastic.  No leaks and the performance and comfort is amazing.   

Hossamania

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on July 20, 2019, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 20, 2019, 10:34:01 AM

I've had my Legend Revo A's for about 2 years and they have been fantastic.  No leaks and the performance and comfort is amazing.

I know the guy that owns the indy shop i use has the Revos, I'll have to check in with him and see how they're working out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tail Ridr

BVHOG...what have you used to match the RWD's in the front?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

rhuff

In this order:

Ohlins
Ohlins
Ohlins

I kind of joke, but they are a premium shock.  Dialed in, they are light years better than other brands I've tried and been privy to ride. 

BVHOG

Quote from: Tail Ridr on July 22, 2019, 07:12:00 AM
BVHOG...what have you used to match the RWD's in the front?
Just picked up a race tech setup for the front
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

D.W.

I have the Ohlins 357's on my bagger and they work great. Mounting the reservoirs is tricky if you run quick release accessories on the back end. I chose the ohlins ultimately because of the increase in a stroke and length. I run the length adjustment almost all the way out (long) and I have been pleased with what this did to my steering angle. . They do take a lot of playing around with to get dialed in, and of course with a passenger this all changes. I ordered mine through fuel Moto, but it is my opinion that they came with too heavy of a spring. The other issue you'll find increasing the quality of your rear suspension is how much it highlights the shitty front end.