March 28, 2024, 01:58:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Cam Oil Filters

Started by twincam8888, July 21, 2019, 03:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Norton Commando on July 22, 2019, 05:31:20 PM
Is the WIX label really that obtrusive?

Not really, can't really see it on the touring bikes with all the lines, cooler, etc down there.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

PoorUB

...that the majority of riders change once a year, at best.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Quote from: FXDBI on July 22, 2019, 05:22:24 PM
I bought a K&P reusable 10 years ago never thought about filters again.   Bob

Me too.
KD

plumberglen

:agree: :up:
Quote from: black on July 22, 2019, 10:21:36 AM
Well some on here don't like this company   But I use their brake pads(never a problem) and the oil filters are 3 for $18.99 with nut on filter D2Moto
hey

itsafatboy

have the purepower reusable filter for years , 22 micron absolute flows 5 times the oil , seen some on ebay for 125 that's 100 off, they are like the K&P filter just a smaller micron rating, both great filters  , this is the same filter K&N sells as their lifetime filter,  the ones on ebay have the cool cover with the cooling fins I suppose

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Power-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter-NO-HEXHEAD-NUT-Part-PP8104/232690505277?hash=item362d6f563d:g:EUMAAOSwrXdaoE9S

screem

My local Indy shop sells Drags filter, chrome ones are $9.99 the black ones are $8.99. I was a big beliver in staying with HD 20-50 oil and HD filters. I also ran HD primary oil and trans fluid.
   i made the switch on fluids and filters 10 years ago, never had an issue, The shop i buy from has been in business since the early 80's, and he has never had an issue with Drags Filters

rbabos

Quote from: Mirrmu on July 22, 2019, 03:41:53 PM
I run the filters out to double the recommended miles/kms but change oil at correct interval.

These filters can easily do that, 2 oil change per 1 filter
Bet you wouldn't do that with the HD Prem5 if you had a gauge after the filter. They are lucky to make it to 5k. I've seen 2-3psi drop in 2500 kms. The 10 micron K&N did not show any drop in normal intervals.
Ron

doctorevil

Case of 12 wix from Parts Authority delivered $91

chaos901

I'm just glad that they changed the interval out to 5,000 from 2,500. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

smoserx1

I'm just glad that they changed the interval out to 5,000 from 2,500.

When was it 2500?  Maybe evos? My 99 FLHT specifies 5000 (all holes) and for the engine at the time there was only H-D 360 recommended by the MOCO.

PoorUB

Pretty sure the 2,500 was a dealer think, druming up business  for the service department.

chaos901

Very possibly was a dealer thing, they used to do my service years ago.  But I was thinking that the 5000 did not come out until the synthetic, likely wrong though.  Now I'm going to have to go back and look. 

PoorUB

When I  bought my '05 the dealer was pushing 2,500 service intervals.

tbird

$9.36 hiflofiltro chrome 17mm nut. Dennis Kirk. If I need something else and I need to Get to $89 for free shipping I will use these. Great filters

Buglet

Depends how and were you ride for your intervals, most owners manuals will tell you that. I have one guy comes in ever 5 k and his oil look like it came out of a diesel truck. I tell him it should be change more often and he tells me the dealer says ever 5 k, what ever floats your boat.

Geezer_Glider

1959 to 1969 FLH manual, oil every 2000 miles and tranny every 5K. They were using the engine oil for the primary then though, talk about loading up a filter!
Just saying,
R Meyer

jsachs1

Fuel injection doesn't contaminate the oil anywhere close to what a carb engine does. Car manufacturers have also changed their recommended oil change intervals as well.  :wink:
John

chaos901

QuoteFuel injection doesn't contaminate the oil anywhere close to what a carb engine does. Car manufacturers have also changed their recommended oil change intervals as well. 

Not doubting this to be true, just trying to understand why it is true.  If somebody can educate me it would be appreciated.

Dan89flstc

My 1989 Softail owners manual calls for 5,000 mile engine oil change interval.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

boooby1744

Quote from: chaos901 on July 25, 2019, 02:28:38 PM
QuoteFuel injection doesn't contaminate the oil anywhere close to what a carb engine does. Car manufacturers have also changed their recommended oil change intervals as well. 

Not doubting this to be true, just trying to understand why it is true.  If somebody can educate me it would be appreciated.
Cold starts with full choke,not as precise fuel delivery and those accelerator pump raw squirts.

motorhogman

Quote from: koko3052 on July 22, 2019, 07:09:09 AM
Quote from: borno on July 22, 2019, 02:10:45 AM
I use the wix also and get them from rock auto $6.77 for the 57148 (black) :up:

That's where I got mine from too, but don't really appreciate the "WIX" sticker on them that always seems to turn to the front where it's so visble. :emsad:

LOL  Yep !   I just used the WIX for the 1st time on my last service.. Label right out there in yer face.. Doesn't really matter to me but Yes it is very noticeable..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

motorhogman

Quote from: Mirrmu on July 22, 2019, 03:41:53 PM
I run the filters out to double the recommended miles/kms but change oil at correct interval.

These filters can easily do that, 2 oil change per 1 filter

Better off to reverse that procedure..Just add oil and change the filter.  Especially if running full syn.

That's how I used to do my Mack truck.

Full syn, send oil out for analysis, as long as it's within spec just change filters at recommended intervals.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Schex3x

The Napa Gold filters are Wix, just drop the 5 off the front of the part number, wix-57148, Napa-7148
Black filters only for me, and uh,, just peel the sticker and wipe the glue residue off with alcohol, or wd40 or whatever's handy at the time.

twincam8888

Quote from: Scotty on July 23, 2019, 02:57:25 AM
Buy a $20,000 bike and bitch about $20 oil filters.
Go figure  :fish:
It's only partly about price. I believe the old Custom Chrome Motor Factory filters were better than HD filter and I like having them sent to my door rather than the 45 minute trip to the HD dealer.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Rob L

I bought a PC Racing reusable filter a few years ago and I've never had a problem with it