April 26, 2024, 06:07:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Cam Oil Filters

Started by twincam8888, July 21, 2019, 03:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koko3052

Some people are under the illusion that anything "racing" is better quality when in fact the opposite is true because those engines are "always" torn down to change/improve performance so really no oil nor filter is used to the point that a daily driver is. :potstir:

egstandard

smoserx1

I just bought a NAPA gold Napa-7148 based on this thread.  Looks pretty good (Just changed my oil so it will be a few months before this filter gets used).  The NAPA filter after tax was $13 and change.  I don't believe that is any cheaper than the black twin cam filter from the local dealer.  I have tried the K&N and Hiflo-Filtro black 171 versions also and both work fine, but I have heard other folks complaining about removal difficulty etc.  I believe after all this I am going back to the OEM black version and stay there.  Why try to change something that works fine?

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: smoserx1 on August 14, 2019, 04:33:51 AM
I just bought a NAPA gold Napa-7148 based on this thread.  Looks pretty good (Just changed my oil so it will be a few months before this filter gets used).  The NAPA filter after tax was $13 and change.  I don't believe that is any cheaper than the black twin cam filter from the local dealer.  I have tried the K&N and Hiflo-Filtro black 171 versions also and both work fine, but I have heard other folks complaining about removal difficulty etc.  I believe after all this I am going back to the OEM black version and stay there.  Why try to change something that works fine?

With the exception of the drop-in one on my 76 anything I change oil on has gotten a Napa Gold filter for over 20 years.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

r0de_runr

Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: r0de_runr on August 18, 2019, 06:09:53 AM
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Lots of oil filter info here.
Lots of BS also, don`t trust any of the cross references filter numbers, do your own homework.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic