March 28, 2024, 02:15:58 PM

News:

wobble and tire cupping

Started by timcosby, July 21, 2019, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timcosby

2004 ultra classic. front tire wore more on the left side and was cupped. had a wiggle when i hit a bump and i replaced the swingarm bushings thinking that was it but no change. seems to be getting worse now that the front tire is worn. at 55mph i can go no hands and the front starts to do the death wobble till i grab the bars again. at 35mph with cruise on and no hands it weaves probably foot and a half back and forth. not sure what to start replacing. i have a new tire but would like to resolve the problem first. any ideas?????

RKRuss

It is normal for a front tyre to wear more on one side than the other. How many miles on your tyre and what pressure do you normally run in it?

hbkeith

capn

Check your wheel bearings and neck bearings.

Hossamania

Check your rear tire as well. My '12 Ultra was doing the same thing, bad wobbles at 30 mph, and higher, with no hands on the bars.
Two new tires have solved the problem, runs straight as an arrow, even during decel when coming to a stop, hands off the bars. Your wheel bearings will be checked by the tech when the new rubber is put on, if he is doing his job properly. Check with him to make sure it's done.
If your front forks haven't been serviced in a while, a fluid change wouldn't hurt.
New tires solve a host of problems.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rigidthumper

Typically, if you experience a "hands off" decel wobble from ~45 down to 25 mph, neck bearings are too loose. If you have a "hands off" steady throttle (cruising) weave, the neck bearings are too tight.  Get the tires taken care of, and check the frame to drive train alignment.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

chaos901

How old is this tire?  Just asking because if it is more than 6 years old it really needs to be changed no matter the tread.  The date of manufacture is on the tire.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Pete_Vit

I'll ask the other question, do you keep the proper air pressure in that tire?  low tire pressure can cause cupping, thus the wobble  :unsure:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

HarleyHiwayMan

I gave up on the Harley tires and went with the American Elite. No front tire cupping
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

twincam8888

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 22, 2019, 05:20:26 AM
Typically, if you experience a "hands off" decel wobble from ~45 down to 25 mph, neck bearings are too loose. If you have a "hands off" steady throttle (cruising) weave, the neck bearings are too tight.  Get the tires taken care of, and check the frame to drive train alignment.

YEP  :agree:
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

smoserx1

Last 3 bikes I owned (2 gold wings and my current FLHT) do the no hands deceleration wobble with a worn front tire.  Replace the tire, I bet that will solve it.

bobrk1

Had same problem  with  97 rk,change  the  wheel  bearing  new  tire  all set

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 22, 2019, 05:20:26 AM
Typically, if you experience a "hands off" decel wobble from ~45 down to 25 mph, neck bearings are too loose. If you have a "hands off" steady throttle (cruising) weave, the neck bearings are too tight........

This definitely applies to my shovel. I have not had issues with my TC EG yet.   You would not believe the bearing carnage I found in the neck and swingarm on the 76 when I took it apart.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway