March 28, 2024, 06:45:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Race Tech Springs and Emulators

Started by cpiccarr, July 30, 2019, 07:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpiccarr

Race Tech Springs and Emulators
Guys , I have a 2010 RG 20k need to do front suspension work. Looking for ideas. I bought for Ohlins in the rear 13" still adjusting them. The Race Tech springs and emulators with the proper oil should be a improvement. Live in Western NY roads not great. Any thoughts?

guydoc77

July 30, 2019, 09:20:33 AM #1 Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:17:10 AM by guydoc77
How much do you weigh?
Also, are you an aggressive rider and like to scrape floorboards, etc in curves?
Last, but not least, do you ride a lot 2 up and/or heavily loaded?

I can answer your questions and make some recommendations.
A few of us on the Forum here have done the trial and error thing already and can give you useful advice.
The beauty of Race Tech is that it does work and is very adjustable.
If there is a downside, it is that, on a bagger, it is cumbersome to make those adjustments.

I would add that Race Tech has really useful info on their website.

cpiccarr

Reply my weight 188, wife 135. Ride mostly solo but comfort is important as is handling. I am not a performance rider but I do like to ride and kick it up a bit. HD 41mm front ends are not impressive, old technology. Just looking for a better ride and handling bike. I would rather not have to spend the money on cartridges. Looking for a noticeable improvement.

PC_Hater

What result do you get when you use the Spring Calculator on the Race Tech website?
For me and my Road Glide it gives 1kg/mm and they don't sell a spring that strong. Other companies sell them though.
I use the 0.9 or 0.95kg/mm (can't remember which) with a LOT of pre-load.
I don't like them. Too 'boingy' for want of a better word, and too soggy without a lot of pre-load.
Progressive wound springs from Progressive Suspension are in my garage waiting for me to fit them.

The emulator part is fine, improves damping considerably.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

topcat3815

I have 2014 flhtk that I first put a set of Terry cable 13 inch rear shocks I had a noticeable improvement but not great. Then I installed a set of Race Tech  the gold emulators on the front forks, I drilled the two extra 7/64 holes in the valve and added four more 5/16 holes in the damper valve, I used the yellow spring with 3 turns of pre load on the gold valve. I put belray 20wt in one fork and belray 30 wt in the other, I used race techs 1.20  springs took it for a ride and had a very harsh unstabil feel to it. I rode it for a while but didn't enjoy it. So I started reading and understanding front ends and read all of the posts by some very knowledgeable people on this board.  I pulled the forks set the emulator yellow to two turns of preload, drained the fork oil and put maxima 15 wt in both forks set at a fork oil height  of 150mm with 30mm of spring pre load took it for a ride and didn't stop for a 110 miles it felt so good. Im amazed at the change in the bike and Now I can tell how really good the Terry cable rear shocks are. Install them and play with em till you get the ride you want. Hope this helps

guydoc77

Quote from: cpiccarr on July 30, 2019, 10:54:06 AM
Reply my weight 188, wife 135. Ride mostly solo but comfort is important as is handling. I am not a performance rider but I do like to ride and kick it up a bit. HD 41mm front ends are not impressive, old technology. Just looking for a better ride and handling bike. I would rather not have to spend the money on cartridges. Looking for a noticeable improvement.

I'd do the .95 kg fork springs. Could go .90 but I'd use the .95.
Follow the Race Tech instructions closely to set the preload. I used thin wall stainless pipe but PVC pipe works too. You will need washers as well.
Drill extra holes in the the dampening rods as per Race Tech instructions.
Drill out the extra two holes to 1/8" in each emulator valve.
Use the yellow springs on the emulator valves and go 2.5 to 3 turns of preload.
Could use the blue springs and go 3-4 turns of preload.
As far as fork oil, I use Maxima 15W. Get a fork oil adjusting tool and set the level at 135-140 mm.

Again, Race Tech provides excellent instructions.
You can also go on their website and research the theory and function of their emulators. The info on their website is terrific.

Just my recommendations. You may find slight variation works better. The key though is to change one thing at a time and keep a log of your settings and results.

Good luck and good choice with Race Tech.

Guy

98fxstc

Quote from: guydoc77 on July 30, 2019, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: cpiccarr on July 30, 2019, 10:54:06 AM

I'd do the .95 kg fork springs. Could go .90 but I'd use the .95.
Follow the Race Tech instructions closely to set the preload. I used thin wall stainless pipe but PVC pipe works too. You will need washers as well.
Drill extra holes in the the dampening rods as per Race Tech instructions.
Drill out the extra two holes to 1/8" in each emulator valve.
Use the yellow springs on the emulator valves and go 2.5 to 3 turns of preload.
Could use the blue springs and go 3-4 turns of preload.
As far as fork oil, I use Maxima 15W. Get a fork oil adjusting tool and set the level at 135-140 mm.

Again, Race Tech provides excellent instructions.
You can also go on their website and research the theory and function of their emulators. The info on their website is terrific.

Just my recommendations. You may find slight variation works better. The key though is to change one thing at a time and keep a log of your settings and results.

Good luck and good choice with Race Tech.

Guy

watch this bit
before you measure down for the extra holes in the damper rods, check to see they are not covered by the aluminium cup washer on re-assembly
may have to measure up from existing holes
or cut the tops of the cup washers like I did to expose the holes   :embarrassed:

itsafatboy

why not use the progressive cartridges, have them in the fatboy seem pretty good?   

boggart

While in Sturgis, I stopped by Pro-Action to see what they have for the front suspension.  Stiffer springs, and better oil flow by changing the damper tube.  Check them out.  Seems legit.