April 23, 2024, 09:37:21 PM

News:

2006 Road Glide Loss of Idle Control

Started by johncr, August 02, 2019, 11:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncr

Trying to figure out stalling problem.

2006 road glide, occasionally when come to stop (0 miles per hour, throttle at 0) IAC slowly drops from normal idle down until engine stalls. Doesn't happen all the time, when not happening idles fine with IAC at 25 and TPS Volts .49.
Checked for air leaks at intake, nothing I could detect.

The one thing I believe may be causing this is the speedometer (reading it with diagnostic tools) bounces between 0 and 1 MPH when sitting still at idle. My best guess at this point is because the ECM is not seeing 0 MPH it is not trying to control idle??
To address the speed issue I replaced the speed sensor in the transmission and stills bounces between 0 and 1 MPH.
This is happening with 2 different throttle bodies, latest throttle body has all new sensors, no change in condition. (New TPS, MAP, IAC and Intake Temp sensors)

Stumped – any ideas?

Thanks,
John

biggzed

A buddy of mine had an 07 Road King that acted similar to your description. Turned out to be the head temp sensor.

Zach

rbabos

VSS will cause those idle drop outs sometimes and no code thrown.
Ron

rredneckn2

Pull off ecm connector check for any corrosion grease it up with dielectric grease. Just a thought.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

86fxwg

Ford diagnostics has whats called a wiggle test,with the issues u desgribe may be a good place to start. As said check PCM connections.Load all the PCM grounds with a Holegen head light.Should be Brite & stay bright. I like to use PCM powers to do this.
Good luck Intermittents can be a Biatch!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Glide1962

For reasons unknown to me whoever programmed the bikes decided they shouldn't idle if they don't know how fast the bike is moving.  I had the VSS on mine go on the return leg of a road trip.  I had to keep the motor up over 2K rpm at all stops or it would stall. PITA doing that for 300 miles.

05FLHTCUIED

I have on 05 Ultra with the same problem. I've been searching and chasing this problems for years and it's still not resolved.
New IAC, wires, coil, plugs, ground wires re-done and probably more.
At one point it lost all idle memory and I had to take it to HD to have the idle reprogrammed.
It only happens when it's hot so I've added an oil cooler and some Love Juggs too.
I'll be watching this post for a potential solution as it gets irritating having to feather the idle and make it home at times.
Good luck!
2005 Ultra, 95" - 211 cams, PCIII, 6-speed and hogtunes

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Do you have a Code History Stored?

Do you have a way to monitor On-board diagnostics Parameter IDs (PID's) and compare those present to known Delta's? This is where I would begin to eliminate or identify a defective Sensor or Data Stream.

The Speedometer Head Unit could also have an issue. You can unplug it to see if it improves operation as it will default the E.C.M. to known "good" parameters.

Loose or broken connection in the Wiring Harness is also a possibility. Check and clean all connection on all your Sensors as well as the E.C.M.

Usually difficult to identify the issue but, once identified the fix is usually easy.
Tom

johncr

Still searching...

Does anyone know if it is necessary to turn off the feature of cruise control with Digital Tech?

This bike did have cruise and we removed the module. Wondering if that has any effect on idle control.