March 28, 2024, 08:07:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ABS Module causing a misfire?

Started by jamminhd2000, August 05, 2019, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamminhd2000

Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may. He was told that the abs module is what's causing his intermittent misfire. Bike runs fine then misses for a bit but then fixes itself. No current or historic codes stored.Has anyone heard of this? Thanks all....jimmy

CndUltra88

Something smells funny with that diagnosis...
Has he tried the wiggle test or the chopstick test with the early FI bikes.
There was an official document to that effect back in 2001/2.
Meaning start poking/wiggling wires to and from the ABS module with the bike running trying to recreate the issue.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

jamminhd2000

I have no idea how the technician came up with this diagnosis...I told him that the service writer should be able to explain it to him. If the service writer cant explain then told him to ask to talk to the tech.

Hossamania

He's been without his bike all summer?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

jamminhd2000

Hossamania

PoorUB

In the shop since May? I would not be so patient!

I had a big screen TV in the shop and was told parts were 2-3 months out. I had the parts in a couple weeks. The repair shop wanted to know how I pulled it off.

$30,000 motorcycle? Nope! I can't imagine how ugly that would get if it took 3-4 months to fix.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Yup, it would get ugly after a week. A month? No way. 3 months? A special little conversation between me and the shop owner. Then maybe a special little meeting between me and the police booking department, followed by me posting bail and paying a hospital bill for a local shop owner.

convert1967

Anytime my bike has been at the dealer over a month for the same issue, I've called Harley customer support and they made my bike payments.

kd

If they are so sure that's the problem, the easy solution is to change the module.   :idunno:  Sounds more like a  :turd:  story to me.
KD

chaos901

This sums up why I love this site, of course none of my bikes have any kind of extended warranty on them.......now.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

biglew55

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 05, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may. He was told that the abs module is what's causing his intermittent misfire. Bike runs fine then misses for a bit but then fixes itself. No current or historic codes stored.Has anyone heard of this? Thanks all....jimmy

My 2018 is doing this right now.  I'm taking it to the shop tonight.  I already had the plugs changed and zip-tied any suspect areas on the plug wires.  This time, it better be getting the coil that I told them to replace the first time.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

Jim Bronson

My 2015 RK had a stalling problem that the dealer couldn't replicate. After about the third time, I took it back to the shop and told them to find the problem or give me a new bike. Just imagine your bike shutting off in the middle of a busy freeway. They were ready to replace the BCM when the SM found an historic code that showed the ignition switch had been turned off while the wheels were turning. Bingo! They replaced the switch and fixed the problem.

I'm not clear as to how a failed ABS module could cause a misfire, but if they diagnosed it, why wouldn't they just replace it?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Don D

Harley has a customer service 800 number for these issues. Logistics are out of control here and a little parental guidance from mother ship is needed.

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2019, 09:53:54 AM
Yup, it would get ugly after a week. A month? No way. 3 months? A special little conversation between me and the shop owner. Then maybe a special little meeting between me and the police booking department, followed by me posting bail and paying a hospital bill for a local shop owner.

Hospital bill to remove  your motorcycle  from his anus?

Jim Bronson

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 06, 2019, 12:20:39 PM
Harley has a customer service 800 number for these issues. Logistics are out of control here and a little parental guidance from mother ship is needed.
See above post. The mother ship was of no help. They basically told me that if the dealer couldn't find the problem, I could just go pound sand. If not for the persistence of the SM, I would have had to wait until the switch failed permanently (if I lived that long).
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on August 06, 2019, 12:56:15 PM

One of the possible options.

IronButt70

Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2019, 05:21:45 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 06, 2019, 12:56:15 PM

One of the possible options.
A boot might be a better fit. ABS module causing a misfire?  :wtf:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Hossamania

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 05, 2019, 07:49:49 PM
I have no idea how the technician came up with this diagnosis...I told him that the service writer should be able to explain it to him. If the service writer cant explain then told him to ask to talk to the tech.

Is the bike stock, or any mods done to it? I'm curious, as others are, how they narrowed it down to the abs system, and why they haven't fixed it if that's the problem. Did it take them three months to find it? Is it still under warranty?

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2019, 07:42:04 PM

Is the bike stock, or any mods done to it? I'm curious, as others are, how they narrowed it down to the abs system, and why they haven't fixed it if that's the problem. Did it take them three months to find it? Is it still under warranty?

It is under warranty...as soon as I hear back from him I will report. The hold up was supposedly the abs module on back order and then date kept moving out.

IronButt70

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 06, 2019, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2019, 07:42:04 PM

It is under warranty...as soon as I hear back from him I will report. The hold up was supposedly the abs module on back order and then date kept moving out.
Just disconnect the supposed faulty module and ride the bike while waiting for the part. Not buying the B/O BS. Can't be too hard to grab one off the assembly line.

Hossamania

cbumdumb

When my clutch slave blew the seal the assembly was on back order.they had the seal in their recall kit but Harley wanted the whole assembly. Told them my bike is my only means of transportation. With the extended warranty (which I never bought before) was given a rental truck for the time it took them to get said part out of their ass . I guess it has to go through many layers of Harley corporate bureaucracy to get a part off the line. With all the issues I have had both the 18 and 19 rgu the whole dealership knows me by name . As well the regional factory rep

That 1800 number was useless the woman who answered sounded like she was reading from a telemarketer handbook of excuses. Harley put the blame on the out of state dealership I was stuck at during the Bring it Home Rally for not doing their job even with the salesman telling the rep and his dealership the paint was blistering when I did my walk around of the bike. Was told Harley doesn't do customer satisfaction warranty and that they wouldn't fix it on their end . Hard to find an attorney to take a small claims issue out of state. And the dealership management said they couldn't make it rite . I will be there this rally maybe talking to them in person during another rally they will try and make it right.

Dan89flstc

Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may.   

I had a friend tell me he was shot out of a Submarine Torpedo Tube...

Didn`t buy that story either.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

doubletrouble

Sounds like a complete lack of communication that started with the service writer and just kept going until it landed back  in the customers lap as a complete misunderstanding . How can anyone connect the dots on this one without so much as a copy of the work order ? How do you vette any of this ?

johnnynitro

Might the service writer have said ECM instead of ABS ?? ( Engine Control Module)

jamminhd2000

The service writer wrote down the part # for the abs module and told him this is what was on back order....I will shoot him a text today and see if he has any new info....jimmy

fbn ent

Yet another nail in the HD coffin..... :cry:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

jamminhd2000

I heard back from my buddy today. He got his bike back with a new abs module installed and within 20 miles bike started misfiring again. He has been in contact now with the owner of our local HD dealership. Bike is back in the shop getting a new plugs, plug wires, and coil. Bike is under extended warranty so I guess the dealership can keep throwing parts at it. I will report back as soon as I hear from him again. His bike is supposed to be done tomorrow :pop: :pop: :pop:Jimmy

IronButt70

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on August 20, 2019, 03:50:37 PM
I heard back from my buddy today. He got his bike back with a new abs module installed and within 20 miles bike started misfiring again.
Is this really a surprise to anyone?  :wtf:

tomcat64

Quote from: convert1967 on August 06, 2019, 10:23:49 AM
Anytime my bike has been at the dealer over a month for the same issue, I've called Harley customer support and they made my bike payments.

I call bullsh!t..

PoorUB

Quote from: tomcat64 on August 21, 2019, 06:10:48 AM
Quote from: convert1967 on August 06, 2019, 10:23:49 AM

I call bullsh!t..

Maybe put his account on hold so he didn't have to make payments? Which does nothing but rack up more interest!

jamminhd2000

So I talked to my buddy yesterday and he finally got his bike back....the dealership found signs that the coil and spark plug wires were carbon tracking so they replaced them and all has been good for about a 1,000 miles....go figure....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Quote from: biglew55 on August 06, 2019, 11:14:02 AM

My 2018 is doing this right now.  I'm taking it to the shop tonight.  I already had the plugs changed and zip-tied any suspect areas on the plug wires.  This time, it better be getting the coil that I told them to replace the first time.
Did the coil and wires fix yours as well?

PoorUB

May to almost the middle of September to troubleshot and replace a coil and coil wires? :banghead:

But oh, no. Lets replace the ABS module first! (Can anyone explain to me how the ABS module would affect the engine operation?) Maybe i am mistaken, but I don't believe the ABS has any affect on the engine electronics.

Hopefully this is the last time either of you step into this dealer!

jamminhd2000

Quote from: PoorUB on September 08, 2019, 08:14:38 AM
May to almost the middle of September to troubleshot and replace a coil and coil wires? :banghead:

But oh, no. Lets replace the ABS module first! (Can anyone explain to me how the ABS module would affect the engine operation?) Maybe i am mistaken, but I don't believe the ABS has any affect on the engine electronics.

The only reason it was there was because it was under warranty....I tried to convince him to bring it to a different dealership.

rbabos

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:22:28 AM

The only reason it was there was because it was under warranty....I tried to convince him to bring it to a different dealership.
Any dealer can do warranty work as it's factory warranty, not dealer.
Ron

jamminhd2000

Quote from: rbabos on September 08, 2019, 08:26:43 AM
Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:22:28 AM

Any dealer can do warranty work as it's factory warranty, not dealer.
Ron
That's what I told him

biglew55

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on September 08, 2019, 08:03:34 AM
Quote from: biglew55 on August 06, 2019, 11:14:02 AM

Did the coil and wires fix yours as well?
Changed my plugs and wires this time.  Running fine for now.  Last time, it lasted about 6K miles (2 months).  The first time was from a dealership in CA who didn't log the ticket.  They were just trying to get me back on the road before the place closed for the weekend.  They only charged me for the plugs.  So, the dealer here has to start from scratch for their troubleshooting.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

bump

Back in 02 I bought a FLHTCI. Rode it to KY and service engine light came on. Stopped at Dealer and they changed plug wires. Rode it on trip for couple days and light came back on.Rode it home and took it to dealer I bought it from and they put a new coil on it. Headed the 40 miles home and light came on again. Stopped at auto parts store on way home and bought a set of champion plugs. Haven't had problem since then, 17 years and still going.
Not on same plugs, change them every spring.

smoserx1

Was your 02 FLHTCI one of the first ones to have the Delphi EFI as opposed to the Magneti-Marelli?  Reason I asked was lots of folks posted back then about non-stock plugs (and wires) causing codes to be thrown.  Apparently some combos fooled the ion sensing knock suppression feature.  Champion plugs supposedly were the same specs as stock.

Dan89flstc

Had a friend tell me today that his 2017 road glide special has been in the dealership since may.

This whole thread is based on a second hand story....
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

chaos901

QuoteWas your 02 FLHTCI one of the first ones to have the Delphi EFI as opposed to the Magneti-Marelli?

I had a 2002 E-G Standard and it was Delphi, I believe that was the first year, still had the Timken bearing too.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

tomcat64

Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 09, 2019, 07:34:38 AM

This whole thread is based on a second hand story....

yup