April 18, 2024, 08:02:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

drive belt keeps stripping teeth

Started by tc1550, August 06, 2019, 09:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc1550

2014 fxdwg 117 ci rivera primo clutch 136hp 136 tq  yes I do a few burn outs and high rpm shifts .I have belt guage and check belt tension regulary .Darn it need another drive belt it doesent break just stipped out a few chunk of teeth .I know guys with 100 k and older bike 120 120 and no belt issues and both oem belts .When is time to go to chain alignment seems ok also bike has only 7k on it now  time for second belt any ideas ?

choseneasy

Are your pulleys ok?
  Bearings okay on rear wheel?

fleetmechanic

The problem that seemed to cause our belts to shed cogs in the old days was often related to the teeth on the aluminum rear pulley getting sharp.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

FXDBI

Your burnouts and high speed shifts are just to hard on the belt to instantaious.  The belt is only rated @ 125 hp I was told once upon a time by someone.  The hard jerk of a burnout, wheelie or high speed shift just to much for it. I would have gone chain after the first one broke.   Bob

jmorton10

I had the same problem with my 124"  2007 RK.

Added a Vulcan chain conversion & the Zippers axle adjuster kit.  Problem solved.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

tomcat64

Yup, with numbers like that, and the abuse given, you will need a chain conversion, and maybe a chrome molly axel..

tc1550

ok chain conversion it is thanks for the info

screem

the good news is...the Primo clutch is locking up good

RedFXR2

August 07, 2019, 02:41:35 PM #9 Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:55:17 PM by RedFXR2
I'm no expert, I've run across several riders with big bikes with big power who rode aggressively and their answer to breaking belts was to go to a "sidecar" grade belt.  According to them there is (or maybe was some years back) a stronger grade of belt meant to take the additional load imposed by a sidecar on a touring bike.  Just a thought and certainly simpler than converting to chain drive.

Here's one example part number.  I have no idea of your width or tooth specs:  (Harley High Load Belt #40130-03 for sidecar applications.)

Deye76

I've seen belts hold up to a lot of power. Usually when they strip teeth it's because the belt is too loose. When they snap it's usually from pulling a hole shot or wheelie when everything is cold. When the belt and pulley's are warm and expanded, they are very robust. Belts, weather primary or secondary are also prone to breakage when not aligned.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

I'd be taking a real close look at the pulley first before tipping $$ into anything

Pop-pop2

The belt mentioned above 40130-03 is the same belt used on a 2003 screamin eagle road king as well.

fleetmechanic

The heavy load sidecar belt only fits through 2003 before the belts started getting narrower.  We used many of them and they held up very well.  But the narrower belts in carbon fiber seem to hold up just as well.  Haven't broken any yet even with sidecars.

1workinman

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 07, 2019, 07:58:43 AM
I had the same problem with my 124"  2007 RK.

Added a Vulcan chain conversion & the Zippers axle adjuster kit.  Problem solved.

~John
:agree: That's what I have on the Street Glide with the 124