May 01, 2024, 02:50:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shelf life of Harley acrylic lacquer

Started by billbuilds, August 09, 2019, 10:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I have an unopened can of Mystique Green with a manufacturing dated of 3/06/08. Any idea if this stuff would this stuff is still  good? If so what would be a good clear to use over it? Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

IronButt70

Quote from: billbuilds on August 09, 2019, 10:27:02 AM
    I have an unopened can of Mystique Green with a manufacturing dated of 3/06/08. Any idea if this stuff would this stuff is still  good? If so what would be a good clear to use over it? Bill
If it's never been opened it should still be good. Will need to be shaken vigorously to get all the pigment mixed. If you know someone who works where they sell paint a mechanical shaker would do the job. Any name brand clear that uses a hardener should work fine. Just make sure you follow the reducing instructions on both the paint and clear. Dust free area for painting is a must.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

billbuilds

Thanks for the reply IronButt70. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

bobrk1

May be  okay  check  with  a auto  paint  Store , years  ago  a friend  painted  his  bike  came  out  great , we were  in laconia  at car wash  he was  spraying  at with  power  washer and  it got  under  the  clear and  blew up  like  a  blister the  paint  was  so  old  the  clear couldn't  stick  to  color , first  time  I  saw  that 

Mule

Clear coats do not adhere well to acrylic lacquer once the lacquer has cured. Usually clear over lacquer is applied within an hour after application for adhesion.

db13

Should still be good if it was never froze...just take it somewhere and have em shake it

billbuilds

Here's what is reads on the back of the can's label:
APPLICATION: Because of the many variables in applying automotive quality lacquer, we recommend you test spray a sample surface to verify color and spray performance before starting the actual paint job. Reduce, if necessary, with high quality thinner and in accordance with state, federal and local VOC requirements. Wet sand surface lightly with 600 sandpaper. If bare metal is exposed, the area should be primed with HARLEY-DAVIDSON Gray Acrylic Primer or equal.
DRY: Dries tack free in 30-60 minutes depending upon film thickness and temperature. For maximum gloss and protection of top coat colors, apply 2-3 coats of Harley-Davidson Acrylic clear coat.
     From what I understand Mule is right about time frame between lacquer application and clear application. Here's a little info that Google brought up.  https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27028 

Winston Wolf

When I did a restoration a couple years ago, I had an original can of Harley paint from 1983.  We had to use it because the paint code did not exist.  It sprayed and laid down just fine.