May 03, 2024, 04:50:39 PM

News:

Alternative softail shocks

Started by Mac1, August 10, 2019, 03:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac1

I have heard it said that there are better shocks out there, with longer travel which make for a more comfortable ride. But! Are they worth the money?

Langwilliams

seems like a better ride required a higher seat height to allow more travel. I had progressives on my softail an street glide an ride quality wasn't much better. 13" progressives might have helped the street glide but I didn't want a taller seat height. I just installed a real air ride system not a DIY kit on the glide an it rides better. I add air when the GF jumps on so it doesn't bottom out since I like minimum height due to being 5'8". I think the softail air ride systems ride better but are expensive an require playing with the air pressure to find your sweet spot.

HogMike

I put the progressive on my heritage and played with the preload and length a LONG time until my passenger was satisfied with the ride quality.
Not perfect or anywhere near as nice as the baggers but good enough for a day ride.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

D-1

Look up Fournales. They are an air shock, no spring but not the air bag type. Awesome improvement in handling, never heard someone complain about them, apart from the price.

cgaulzetti

i put the RWD on my Street Bob and it made everything about the bike better. The bike feels more solid and confident, handles better, and it absorbs both chip and seal and big hits far better than stock. The taller seat def. makes the bike handle and look better to me.

I'm also getting a custom Trac Dynamics aluminum swing arm that will raise things another inch or so...

I think the Ohlins are more adjustable and probably a little bit better a product- but for me the RWD does everything I want it to and DRASTICALLY improved the ride quality of my bike especially over torn up terrible southern california roads. Hope this helps!