April 19, 2024, 01:22:20 AM

News:

04 wheel bearing

Started by egstandard, August 11, 2019, 11:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

I just installed new rear wheel bearings.  I have the Jim's tool so no issues there. However, one of the bearings I can move in and out in the wheel a bit. Is the wheel wore out after numerous bearing changes? Is it a big deal. Can I use 640 loctite sleeve locker to lock it in?

PoorUB

If the outer race moves around in the wheel, it is a problem. If it were mine I would Lock-Tite it. The next guy will say I am crazy!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

egstandard

I am going to take them back out and measure. These are Harley made in Brazil bearings. The ones I took out were tight in the hub. They were all balls brand. Made in China I suppose. Gonna measure everything and see what's what.

road-dawgs1

Put fresh ones in after taking them out.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

egstandard

So you are saying that pulling out brand new bearings will damage them?  Rode for 35 years on repackable tapered timkens and never had a problem.  This new stuff is garbage!

PoorUB

It is recommended if you put any stress on the balls on a ball bearing while pulling them out they should be replaced. All the HD wheel bearing pullers I know grab the inner race to pull.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

egstandard

Well the one I'm pulling out isn't going to put up much of a fight. I'm not throwing away a brand new bearing. Gonna green locktite it in and take a chance. It messes up, then new wheel and bearings. Thanks guys.

skunk

If you have the tooling to measure the bore ID and the bearing OD to get an idea of the clearance there are 2 or 3 different Loctite Green "bearing and sleeve" compounds for different clearances. IMHO if it slides in and out but doesn't "rock" in the bore you might only be a .001-.003 slip, but best to measure. I have Loctited races in before with good results. Not the ultimate repair I know but sometimes ya gotta work with the resources you have. YMMV.

kd

I have taken a center punch to the inner bore and dimpled it nice and even all around before pushing a loose bearing in.
KD