April 26, 2024, 06:11:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wider tires on front?

Started by guesscrazy, August 12, 2019, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

I see some are putting a wider front tire on baggers. Whats the advantage or disadvantages? Looks like you change the wheel , fender lowers and cowbells. I sorta like the look.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Boe Cole

Rode a bike with what looked like a 12" rear tire once.  Did not like it as it was not that easy to handle - bike followed the angle of the road.  Think a fat front tire would cause similar issues plus be harder to turn the handlebars.  This in my opinion is one of those things that sacrifices ride and handling quality for looks.  Just my thoughts!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hossamania

Advantages: looks badass! Google Exile Cycles
Disadvantages: slower and heavier steering would be my guess, but no first hand experience.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

screem

A company called Native Custom Baggers has a 180 front tire kit for baggers, gives them a more stout look to the front end. Testimonials claim no adverse handling. Like Hoss said above, it would seem to make sense that steering input would be slower with a heavier feeling, But I have never ridden one

koko3052

Building a 250 front & back....will let you know when it's on the road. I'm sure that it will be a dog for handling...but it's not a race bike...just a different look! Will probably be a couple years yet...a guy has to live too! :smiled:

Buglet

Install a Native Custom a couple years ago. I can not say nothing bad about it in fact I would say it was better all around. It was on a 2015 RG

guesscrazy

Quote from: BUGLET on August 13, 2019, 06:08:28 AM
   Install a Native Custom a couple years ago. I can not say nothing bad about it in fact I would say it was better all around. It was on a 2015 RG
How does it handle. I am thinking of doing a 2014 Limited.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Carl 1969

Dunno about 180s & wider, but have yet to read a complaint about the Native Custom's conversion.

While not quite in the same league, going from a 100/90-19 on my '02 FXD to a 130/90-16 made a noticeable difference for the better. Much better ride, corners like its on rails & just feels very solid & planted in turns. I always hear about 'slower' steering with a 'fat' tire, but with the narrow 39mm & 19" combo, I always felt like I had to fight the bike to get 'er to lean over. With the wide 41mm & 16" combo, it just rolls over into a turn, easy as you please & much quicker/smoother side to side transitions.

I'm not a canyon carver & my apex strafing days are long gone, but the fatter front end works a treat for my purposes.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Buglet

I would say it handle just as good as stock if not better.

Barrett

I have a 150 Avon Cobra up front on my Fatbob. I like it a lot better than the skinny tire on the Wideglide.

Cozz

I love that fat front tire look. Quite a few on that other forum I visit. Owners claim much better handling. Very cool look, IMO.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

klammer76

I like the look of the Native set up. I talk to anyone I see running the wide tire set up. All have nothing but good things to say about them. Ride and handling they all have said are very good.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on August 12, 2019, 02:15:16 PM
Disadvantages: slower and heavier steering would be my guess, but no first hand experience.

So, no disadvantages.

screem

Quote from: Hossamania on August 14, 2019, 11:48:36 AM

So, no disadvantages.

And no advantages, other than its bad azz looking..

Deye76

"I like the look of the Native set up.  Ride and handling they all have said are very good."

Native Baggers is located in Michigan, I've been through both curves in that state.  :hyst:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

72fl

Quote from: Hossamania on August 14, 2019, 11:48:36 AM

So, no disadvantages.
Tire Cost :potstir:

crock

Hoss I think that no visible handle bar controls add to the BAD ASS look
Crock

Hossamania

Quote from: crock on August 15, 2019, 04:53:14 AM

Hoss I think that no visible handle bar controls add to the BAD ASS look

I've always thought the Exile Cycles were the coolest looking of the customs when it was all the rage 15 and 20 years ago. The look still works, as opposed to the decline of the wide rear tire chopper popularity.

PoorUB

As long as you paint it black! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on August 15, 2019, 08:41:15 AM

It's the only color on my shelf!

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on August 15, 2019, 08:51:48 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 15, 2019, 08:41:15 AM

It's the only color on my shelf!

The only color allowed for Exile was black. :missed:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SixShooter14

Not for me. Looks are on par with the tall front wheeled baggers that are/were popular recently. I much prefer the wide rear/skinny front choppers.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

tomcat64

Quote from: Deye76 on August 14, 2019, 04:31:07 PM
"I like the look of the Native set up.  Ride and handling they all have said are very good."

Native Baggers is located in Michigan, I've been through both curves in that state.  :hyst:

that reminds me of a story, back when the HD dealer in Minot ND was selling Buells, the sales manager was talking about the Buell selling point they used to say "Own the corners".. he laughed and said, ya own the corners, the next one is 175 miles to the west! :chop:

Boe Cole

I had to get new rubber for my 11rgu.  The replacement rear tire is a 180/6x/16.  When i was checking the date code on the Dunflop American Elite, there is a stamping on the tire saying to only use it on the rear of the bike.  Don't know why - just passing along its caution.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hossamania

Quote from: Boe Cole on August 16, 2019, 09:44:04 AM
I had to get new rubber for my 11rgu.  The replacement rear tire is a 180/6x/16.  When i was checking the date code on the Dunflop American Elite, there is a stamping on the tire saying to only use it on the rear of the bike.  Don't know why - just passing along its caution.

It's due to the construction of the tire and the forces put on it. If used as a front tire, it should be mounted backwards.

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Deye76 on August 14, 2019, 04:31:07 PM

You were just going around potholes....  :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway