March 28, 2024, 09:39:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Electrical/Start problems

Started by raubcat, August 12, 2019, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raubcat

I have a 2004 fuel injected Softail Standard FXSTI. At 50,250 miles, due to a failed inner rear camshaft bearing, a failed chain tensioner, or a combination of the 2, I had to do a complete rebuild of my engine.

I went back together with all S&S 509 gear driven cams, adjustable push rods, oil pump, and cam plate. I also used Cometic gaskets.

After initial startup and a few short trips from the house, I had a few problems to work out.

After resolving those problems, and making a 35 mile run to Corpus Christi with several stops, and returning home, I started having electrical/start problems.

1. Turn ignition on and the breaker would trip

2. Turn ignition on hit the start button and breaker would trip

3. Turn ignition on and bike would try and start by itself. I never let it turn over enough to start.

4. I engaged the solenoid start button, and the bike started without the ignition being turned on. Turning the ignition on and then off did kill the engine.

5. Going down the road, the bike would die. After several minutes, it would start up again.

After talking to several people, the primary thoughts were a grounded wire, ignition switch, start/kill switch, or possibly electronics.

After checking out what I could, I told my local wrench that I felt that my start/kill was sticking or the wiring was grounded, and I was going to replace it. He told me that he felt I was pissing in the wind, and should bring it in and let him chase it down. Not being electrically inclined, I took the bike to him.

After an hour and a half of labor, he replaced the 5 prong starter relay, which I had already replaced, with a 4 prong starter relay.

350+ miles later, no problems. Has anyone else had these problems,  or is anyone else aware of this fix?

Rusticwater

Glad it appears to be fixed, sounds like there was a short somewhere. FWIW, the start relay only has 4 wires going to it, 2 for the coil, and 2 for the NO contact that fires the starter solenoid, so a fifth prong really isn't needed.
[attach=0,msg1311025]
Support the Maine lobster industry