April 19, 2024, 01:30:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trouble Shooter Needed PLEASE

Started by Fat_Tommy, August 13, 2019, 07:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat_Tommy

Hi all!

I have a 2006 Glide that has been giving me issues for a month and would like some input as paying for a dealer to work on it isn't an option right now.

The reader digest version is that after I've replaced the stator, rotor, voltage regulator and battery my bike goes into limp mode is seems. I remove the battery cables to reset the ECM and it seems to work until I go to ride it. Here's the real stumper, if I unplug the stator it runs perfect!!! Stator checks at 43 AC volts at 2000 rpm and there is zero continuity from pins to frame.  

order of events 
1. the volt gauge was spiking and the check engine light came on so I replaced the regulator
2. On a long ride the volts were dropping until the lights were dimming so I put a new battery in.
3. Riding for the next few days the volts continued to drop and I realized the battery wasn't charging so I replaced the stator. One of the coils were fried.
4 The bike at this point is still in limp mode so I figured the new regulator was bad. The dealer gave me a new regulator with HD forcing them too. 1 year warranty from HD
5 Same issues so I tore everything back apart to make sure the stator was installed properly and I noticed the spline in the rotor was gone so I replaced the rotor.
All parts were replaced with OEM HD

smoserx1

When you unplug the stator and it runs perfect that forces everything yo run off the battery resulting in pure clean DC with no ripple.  The stator and regulator combo produce a pulsing DC (electrically it's a rectified AC sine wave) and having the battery in the system helps smooth this out.  The 3 phase system you should have should also produce less ripple than an old single phase system like mine.  Anyway I always heard the reason a bike like mine would quit running if the battery removed was the ECM could not handle the ripple (may be BS).  Just a thought, but if you can find no problem with either the battery or the charging system, maybe something in the ECM has gone south.

Coyote

AFAIK, your bike does not have a "limp mode"  That's a TBW thing.

Garry in AZ

I suspect the problem is in the ECM. Try swapping yours with a known good one and see what happens.

Good luck with it.
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Coyote on August 14, 2019, 07:52:16 AM
AFAIK, your bike does not have a "limp mode"  That's a TBW thing.
:agree:

Geezer_Glider

Don't think the Dephi system resets when the battery is disconnected. You need to get a meter out and do some checking.
Just saying,
R Meyer