clean clutch plates when switching primary oil ?

Started by 98fxstc, August 14, 2019, 01:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98fxstc

I have a 2009 CVO Fatbob with Energy One +1 clutch
When I installed the clutch I went with B&M trickshift as recommended
Happy with the clutch performance for some years but decided I should be looking after the compensator too
Last change the compensator was in good condition but decided to go with Formula +
It is winter here and I don't get out as often on the bike
The clutch does not do well with the Formula + after standing for some time, maybe some weeks in winter and up to a week during the remainder of the year.
It seems the clutch plates are sticking together and clutch operation is a problem for the first few changes, then it is ok.
I have not overfilled but maybe the bottom of the plates are soaking more when on the sidestand.
I decided I will try Redline V Twin
I am thinking I might disassemble the clutch and give the plates a clean ( a good wipe ) with brake cleaner
before refilling with the Redline.

I am interested in opinions as to whether cleaning the clutch plates is required, and whether a wipe is ok rather than a soak.

Thanks

guido4198

Why did you quit using Trickshift if it worked well..??
Daddy always said: "Son, don't fix something that works".
Those are all quality products...shouldn't require pulling the clutch apart when switching from one to another. I've used a several different product in there over the 34 yrs I''ve been riding my '85 and never had any issues.
Someone with more experience letting a bike sit for long periods might comment.

smoserx1

QuoteWhy did you quit using Trickshift if it worked well..??
Exactly my first thoughts, and no I don't believe anything else will lube the compensator and other stuff better, but you can try.  You don't need to pull the stack apart and clean the plates.  The new stuff will find its way in there soon enough (the Formula + did, didn't it?).

speedzter

If it's not slipping, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the plates.
I'm running a Barnett +1 Kevlar clutch, and it likes a thin oil.
I've been using Penrite MC 10w-30 semi syn , and found it to work well behind a 120".

doubletrouble

Assemble the stack on the work bench with a coffee filter inbetween , leave over nite , worked for me. Been running trick flow for years with no plans of changing that up .

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

FXDBI

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on August 14, 2019, 08:47:47 PM
Formula + is a known issue in colder climates.

Funny I live north of the 49th and that's all I have used in mine, even at -10c it. Have some documentation I could read about said issues? First had experience or is this just BS you read on the internet?    Bob

Pirsch Fire Wagon

August 14, 2019, 11:23:33 PM #7 Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:50:33 AM by PIRSCH FIRE WAGON
Quote from: FXDBI on August 14, 2019, 10:04:07 PM
Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on August 14, 2019, 08:47:47 PM
Formula + is a known issue in colder climates.

Have some documentation I could read about said issues?

Yes. H-D Tech Tips. Unfortunately, it's on H-D-Net some time ago. Hence the new Primary Lubricant, originally designed for the colder climates but usable in all platforms. Viscosity of Formula + is essentially 90W Gear Oil @ 32*F which energizes into a "sticky" fluid causing Clutch :Driveability Issues" until it is fully warmed by riding.
Tom

PoorUB

I run Formula+ here in balmy North Dakota, and sure it is a bit sticky one the first startup in cold, but really no issue as it "loosens up" quickly.

And before anyone want too argue what is cold, I have ridden at -20F once in a while.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

-20 is F'ing cold. I don't think a slightly thinner oil is going to make a noticeable difference at that temp.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

98fxstc

Quote from: speedzter on August 14, 2019, 05:32:34 AM
If it's not slipping, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the plates.
I'm running a Barnett +1 Kevlar clutch, and it likes a thin oil.
I've been using Penrite MC 10w-30 semi syn , and found it to work well behind a 120".

I use Amsoil 10W 40 in my Evo and had it in the Fatbob too before I went the +1 clutch
I already have the Redline V twin and will put in for a try but likely go back to Trickshift down the line

98fxstc

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on August 14, 2019, 11:23:33 PM

H-D Tech Tips. Unfortunately, it's on H-D-Net some time ago. Hence the new Primary Lubricant, originally designed for the colder climates but usable in all platforms. Viscosity of Formula + is essentially 90W Gear Oil @ 32*F which energizes into a "sticky" fluid causing Clutch :Driveability Issues" until it is fully warmed by riding.

Pretty much sums up my problem
I thought Formula + was the only decent oil that HD sold, apparently not   :nix:

smoserx1

QuotePretty much sums up my problem
I thought Formula + was the only decent oil that HD sold, apparently not   :nix:

No, but it is a decent oil at a reasonable price.  Used it since it came out without issues.

98fxstc

Quote from: smoserx1 on August 15, 2019, 06:24:40 PM

No, but it is a decent oil at a reasonable price.  Used it since it came out without issues.

A bit like the M8's
They are a good bike unless you have a problem with them

Hilly13

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 15, 2019, 09:32:37 PM
Quote from: smoserx1 on August 15, 2019, 06:24:40 PM

A bit like the M8's
They are a good bike unless you have a problem with them
The old + works up here mate, a bit colder down there in Antarctica though aye  :teeth:
Just because its said don't make it so

98fxstc

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 16, 2019, 05:22:37 AM

The old + works up here mate, a bit colder down there in Antarctica though aye  :teeth:

only halfway to Atarctica   :emsad: