April 26, 2024, 06:35:07 PM

News:

wet head.

Started by roadkingdresser, August 14, 2019, 03:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Does the pump on the wet heads run all the time? Just changed one for a friend and the updated version didn't have the thermostat connected to it.
roadkingdresser

rigidthumper

ECM controls the fan operation.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

There a sensor in the left radiator that tells the ecm to turn the fans on. I'm wandering does the water pump run continuosly or no.  The thermostat that was on the original pump isn't on the new pump and they give you different lines to redirect the anti freeze.
roadkingdresser

14GuineaPig

According to the 2014 Touring Electrical Diagnostics Manual - Section 6.3 - Sensors & Drivers

The ECM controls both cooling fans & the relay that supplies power to the pump.  Once the engine starts, the ECM grounds the coil side of the cooling relay, causing the relay to energize, sending power to the pump.

So that would mean that the pump runs whenever the engine is running.

roadkingdresser

That's what I was wandering. I think the bike only has about 10k mi. My brother-in-law was in Sturgis and a guy at the camp went to the harley shop with the same problem. They had changed 5 the day before and didn't have anymore. They told him to run it and try not to get stuck in the traffic and get it overheated! Not a very long life span. Another bad idea.
roadkingdresser

Coyote

The ECM controls the pump relay. I would think it runs anytime the motor is running.