March 28, 2024, 11:22:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

motor shuts down while riding

Started by ridinflyin, August 15, 2019, 11:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridinflyin

07 softtail heritage classic, its the oie ladies bike, on recent trip from Chicago to blackhills , it just shut down 4xs, she pulls over on the shoulder and turns off the key switch and kill switch, it starts right up. no codes, hot humid weather. did same 2 years ago in florida riding it shut down. I thought she hit the kill switch. one time. I couldn't find anything. didnt take a trip last year, got in accident and totaled the front end . it was repaired just tubes lowers and wheel nothing electrical. i put a new battery in this year   

theroadglide

Others will chime in and either verify or dispute, but sure sounds like my Roadking when it had a bad circuit breaker.

Hope that's all it is.

Stephen

tomcat64

Quote from: theroadglide on August 15, 2019, 12:01:58 PM
Others will chime in and either verify or dispute, but sure sounds like my Roadking when it had a bad circuit breaker.

Hope that's all it is.

Stephen

:agree:

Pirsch Fire Wagon

When it shuts-off, does ALL electrical turn off? ie: Headlamp, Running Lamps, Everything? That would be the Circuit Breaker. Otherwise I would consider the CPK.
Tom

Coyote

Don't think a 2007 Softail has a breaker.

kd

The softail has the tank switch and they (tank switches) are notorious for cutting out when the contacts get carboned up.
KD

Solarflare10

I had a similar problem on my 2002 FLHTC. I replaced my crank position sensor and problem went away.

C#

Quote from: kd on August 15, 2019, 12:34:49 PM
The softail has the tank switch and they (tank switches) are notorious for cutting out when the contacts get carboned up.

Mine did the same thing... it was the ignition switch ('06 Nightrain). I bought a new one from HD. It failed in the next year. ($120 +/-). Bought my next one from J&P ($35 +/-) slightly modified the connector, and it never quit again.