March 28, 2024, 06:26:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

anti seize

Started by bensfatboy, May 17, 2017, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bensfatboy

Which anti seize is best suited for coating front wheel axle?
Thank you for any replies.

Ohio HD

bensfatboy

How about copper, that's what I happen to have on hand at the moment.

Ohio HD

From Permatex:

Nickel:
Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400 degree fahrenheit
For use with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys
For use under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature
Recommended where copper contamination must be avoided
Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifold bolts, exhaust system bolts, muffler clamps and tailpipe assemblies

Copper:
Prevents seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist
Fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors
Temperature range: -30F to 1800F
Provides good electrical conductivity
Suggested Applications: Spark plug threads installed in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings and battery cable connections

Standard:
Highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants
Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant, this lubricant is ideal for marine use
Prevents galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly
Suggested Applications: For easy removal of spark plugs, cylinder head and exhaust head bolts
Temperature range: -60F to 1600F

koko3052

Quote from: bensfatboy on May 17, 2017, 07:23:51 PM
How about copper, that's what I happen to have on hand at the moment.

If that's what you have, you are good to go. Been using it here for 50 years.

Geezer_Glider

Always just use regular grease, never a problem, just a light wipe down.
Just saying,
R Meyer

rbabos

Technically an axle is not a situation where anti-seize is needed. A good grease would be marine waterproof grease. Compared to what the factory uses (none) any form of lube coating is a bonus.
Ron

dynaglide

:agree:  +1

The axles don't turn - the only reason they need anti-seize/grease (or even synthetic brake caliper grease, if you have nothing else laying around  :embarrassed:)  is to prevent corrosion so that you can remove them easily.

88b

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 17, 2017, 07:44:59 PM
From Permatex:

Nickel:
Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400 degree fahrenheit
Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifold bolts, exhaust system bolts, muffler clamps and tailpipe assemblies

Copper:
Suggested Applications: Spark plug threads installed in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings and battery cable connections

Standard:
Suggested Applications: For easy removal of spark plugs, cylinder head and exhaust head bolts

I've always used neversieze ( aluminium ) on spark plugs in alloy heads

Hossamania

Quote from: 88b on May 18, 2017, 12:21:36 PM
From Permatex:

Nickel:

Copper:

Standard:

I've always used neversieze ( aluminium ) on spark plugs in alloy heads

That's what I use, because that's what I've got.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Alien

Copper and Aluminum are dissimilar metals and mixing the two can cause galvanic action. I won't use the copper anti seize on aluminum parts. The lower forks where the axle slides through is aluminum. Personally I wouldn't use copper in this situation?

CndUltra88

Quote from: Alien on May 18, 2017, 02:00:03 PM
Copper and Aluminum are dissimilar metals and mixing the two can cause galvanic action. I won't use the copper anti seize on aluminum parts. The lower forks where the axle slides through is aluminum. Personally I wouldn't use copper in this situation?

I was thinking the same thing...
Double whammy when you live near the West Coast too.
Salt air, copper anti sneeze and aluminum what a pitty combination ;)
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

boooby1744

Quote from: CndUltra88 on May 18, 2017, 07:03:36 PM
Quote from: Alien on May 18, 2017, 02:00:03 PM

"Fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors".
Rob

a_disalvo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: anti seize
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:03:36 PM »

Quote from: Alien on Yesterday at 02:00:03 PM

Rob
Just think for a minute, you can make a traveling battery charger!!!!

CndUltra88

Quote from: a_disalvo on May 19, 2017, 07:53:56 AM
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: anti seize
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:03:36 PM »

Quote from: Alien on Yesterday at 02:00:03 PM

Rob
Just think for a minute, you can make a traveling battery charger!!!!

Yeah, but will it have enough jam to crank over someones 100 cui ?
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

1workinman

From Permatex:

Nickel:

Copper:

Standard:
I have both and I generally use the copper  anti seize , never had a problem getting a spark plug out. I have worked at a power plant for 30 plus years and copper and nickel anti seize is used a lot depending on the temperature .

bobrk1

I have always used wheel bearing grease when I slide the axle back in doing it for years no problems seen guy put it in dry big mistake rusted together bitch getting axle out.

hdbikedoc

worked at dealers 30 years grease is best, anti seize is ok but Ive had a few axles  stick with it on ,I find anti seize is best left in the can as usually it ends up on stuff you don't want it on like shirt ,pants, bosses computer keyboard  this stuff should go on stuff that doesn't get worked on very often and if your like me my axles come out of wheels and repack every 10,000 miles or yearly 
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

wildchild

August 14, 2019, 07:20:55 PM #18 Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:18:04 PM by wildchild
Workshop manual states,
Apply a light coat of SILVER GRADE ANTI-SEIZE (Part
No. 98960-97) to the spark plug threads. Install and tighten
to 12-18 ft-lbs (16.3-24.4 Nm).

Part number mentioned above is Permatex anti seize according to the information I have found in older accessory catalogues.
I have read you must reduce the torque my 30% when using anti seize, this reduces the torque to 8.4-12.6 ft-lbs, this seems a bit low to me.

On the other hand in the accessory catalogue new plugs do not need anti seize.
B. HARLEY-DAVIDSON® GOLD SPARK PLUGS
A special thread and shell coating ensures quick and easy
removal from aluminum heads and resists corrosion.

I usually torque to the bottom end of the spec at 12 ft-lb.
My question is, what would be a reasonable torque range using anti seize.

Trouble

A drop or two of oil on the threads of a spark plug keeps them from seizing in the hole. Can't comment on the torque when using anti-seize. Grease or anti-seize axle to prevent rust freeze.
Anti-seize is also known as war paint.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Panzer

Permatex anti seize (silver) will crawl up your arm...........ask me how I know.  :SM:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

Call it by its proper name: Gets Everywhere

dirty jim

Anti-seize was the number, go to for pranking annoying co-workers!

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rusticwater

The stick packaging is pretty easy to apply to a specific area or "roll the threads" in. For casual use it's not messy at all.

[attach=0]
Support the Maine lobster industry

lilchief

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 17, 2019, 06:14:00 AM
Sounds familiar...
[/quote

Yep, this. I just used some the other day on my mower when I was installing a new pto clutch. All I did was brush some on the output shaft, and the next thing I know, this crap is all over my arm, which never even came close to any of it. It's like some kind of voodoo.
Lil Chief

chaos901

Never seen the "stick" anti-seeze before, looks handy when you only need a dab.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Jim Bronson

Not to over-think this, but I've been using Permatex Advanced Formula on everything that calls for it for 15 years or so. I've never seen any problems, and I live near the left coast.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Dan89flstc

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

r0de_runr

I always use WD-40 to clean my axle parts when replacing tires or having to remove the wheels.  I don't apply any grease or anti seize, just spray and wipe then reassemble.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

jmorton10

Quote from: dirty jim on August 17, 2019, 05:17:18 AM

When we wanted to prank someone at the car dealer I worked at years ago we used to spread it all over the inside of their car door handles.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

92flhtcu

I've coated the underside of a few toolbox drawer pulls on my co-workers, always as a last resort in the never ending pranks that go on in a large shop

back to the OP, I've used both copper and silver on axles, muffler inlets, etc. Never any difference noticed  between the two, seems I always use copper on Spark Plugs....never a issue either
Need a bigger garage

PoorUB

Years ago when I went to heavy equipment mechanics at tech there was a bunch of pranking going on. It all stopped when someone pumped a grease gun full into someone's nearly new Red Wing boots. The instructor came into class and raised holy hell. He said the next person caught pranking would have the privilege of getting out of class early, with no diploma.

I was glad the instructor put a stop to it. I never have understood why it was so fun to mess with other people's stuff.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dirty jim

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 18, 2019, 11:44:13 AM

When we wanted to prank someone at the car dealer I worked at years ago we used to spread it all over the inside of their car door handles.

~John

Amatuer. Door handles (In and out side), back side of shifter, back side of steering wheel, seat adjuster, (Change seat position), fuel door, hood and tailgate latches. Also for bonus points the under side of the brake pedal, for some reason you touch the under side with your right boot toe.

Hossamania

Quote from: dirty jim on August 19, 2019, 05:59:40 AM
Quote from: jmorton10 on August 18, 2019, 11:44:13 AM

~John

Amatuer. Door handles (In and out side), back side of shifter, back side of steering wheel, seat adjuster, (Change seat position), fuel door, hood and tailgate latches. Also for bonus points the under side of the brake pedal, for some reason you touch the under side with your right boot toe.

That's cold-blooded.

dirty jim

It gets worse. One of the greatest pains in the a$$ got his. One of his victims gets in his locker, turns his gym pants pocket inside out and takes a big scoop of anti-seize, puts every thing back. P.I.T.A. puts on said pants, and leaves work. Hits the bank on the way home, (Pay day!) takes money out of bank envelope, puts in said pocket. Next stop, beer store, goes to pay for beer and comes out with a two weeks worth of anti-seized money.

Hossamania

Hmm, I do have a neighbor who's being a pain in the ass...

SixShooter14

I've found used axle grease makes a nice prank in all the obvious places.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

PoorUB

Where I  work we sell a silver heat transfer paste that makes anti-seize look like kids play. Darned near impossible to wash off. Washing your hands to get rid of anti-seize is easy in comparison.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SixShooter14

Quote from: PoorUB on August 19, 2019, 01:54:13 PM
Where I  work we sell a silver heat transfer paste that makes anti-seize look like kids play. Darned near impossible to wash off. Washing your hands to get rid of anti-seize is easy in comparison.
might not be the same stuff, but isopropyl alcohol works pretty well for the thermal paste I've used. But it definitely likes to smear rather than clean.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

I've found the GoJo or citrus hand wipes work pretty well to remove most of that stuff. We work with underground phone wire that has a waterproof grease in it, that stuff clings like crazy, the wipes work pretty well.

fbn ent

I use a moly paste.....at least it's black...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta