March 28, 2024, 10:38:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

temperature of harley heated hand grips

Started by Ratman1640, January 05, 2019, 09:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratman1640

What is the highest temperature of Harleys heated hand grips ? Im working on a 2013 glide and the customer says its not working and Im measuring about 100 f on number 1 setting.  Thanks Mike
where every you go..... there you are.......

PoorUB

Hotter than that! With my 2016 I never run them over 3, any higher they are way too hot. 100F would just feel warm. I would expect them to get 115'ish on high.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ratman1640

well Ive turned it up to 6 and the temp is 122f and I think if it got any hotter than that it would start causing a problem.
where every you go..... there you are.......

Hossamania

Let's just say that #6 is HOT. I've ridden in 10° weather and had to turn them down.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

Just checked mine with a Fluke digital meter... 100 @ 1, @6 I got tired of standing there @135 lol
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

Ratman, did you try turning them up to 3 or 4 and let them heat up? At that setting with no gloves, you should feel significant heat. It takes a while, but suddenly you'll find that they are uncomfortably warm.

Rockout Rocker Products

'nuther thing...
At least on mine, they will get hotter with the engine running.... more volts.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

fleetmechanic

They will also get hotter when riding at some speed.  Voltage at idle doesn't power them all the way.

Hossamania

Quote from: fleetmechanic on January 06, 2019, 08:51:32 AM
They will also get hotter when riding at some speed.  Voltage at idle doesn't power them all the way.

Yup, that.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: Hossamania on January 05, 2019, 11:40:01 AM
Let's just say that #6 is HOT. I've ridden in 10° weather and had to turn them down.

Aussie winters are pretty mild but mine are unbearable on '4'.

Generally run 1 or 2...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

Maddo Snr

Quote from: fleetmechanic on January 06, 2019, 08:51:32 AM

Yep. Temperature rises as the square of the voltage increase.
10% more voltage equals 21% more heat.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

freddie_ray

I ride with Buffalo Skin gloves that I've worn for over 4 years. When using the heated grips on 3 its so comfortable, any higher and I get uncomfortable. Now just solve the problem on the top of my hands getting so damn cold..

freddie_ray :baby:

fleetmechanic

We take Kolpin ATV handlebar mitts and turn them over and put Velcro and and 2 snaps where the zipper was in order to go around the mirrors.   With heated grips inside you can ride in almost any temp with very thin gloves.  The Kolpins are on Amazon for about 25.00/pr.
They are also much less bulky than the old Hippo Hands and it warms all of your hand.

fleetmechanic

Quote from: fleetmechanic on January 08, 2019, 08:58:51 AM
We take Kolpin ATV handlebar mitts and turn them over and put Velcro and and 2 snaps where the zipper was in order to go around the mirrors.   With heated grips inside you can ride in almost any temp with very thin gloves.  The Kolpins are on Amazon for about 25.00/pr.
They are also much less bulky than the old Hippo Hands and it warms all of your hand.
A photo showing current use.

Heinz

I have never been happy with my 2010 CVO Ultra Classic heated grips. I've changed them 3 times the most recent two years ago. They get moderately warm, but not hot, at number three setting but don't get any warmer as I turn it up. Always been that way. I put the same ones in my 2011 Street Glide and it's the same characteristics in that bike.

motolocopat

I have some installed on my 2013 Street Glide and on one you feel the heat 2 or 3 is pretty warm and anything above that I'm turning them down after the heat has radiated out. It would probably have to be in the 30's to use 4 and I'd expect you'd still turn them down after a while
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Hossamania

I just rode this weekend in the 30's, had them on 3 and had to turn them down to 2 after a while. This with lightly lined gloves.