March 28, 2024, 10:45:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Don't think I'm loving lithium

Started by Rockout Rocker Products, January 12, 2019, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat64

Quote from: PoorUB on January 18, 2019, 10:25:37 PM
Quote from: boooby1744 on January 18, 2019, 07:32:25 PM
I weighed the stock and the twin power on a postal scale, 15.2 pounds difference. My CCE aluminum top tree and longer fork tubes were 1.6 pounds  lighter. I can now eat all the pie I want... :chop:

Ok, so 15 pounds, my argument still holds. a drop in the bucket on a 900 pound bike plus rider, passenger and gear.

I'm with you UB, plus I have had incredible luck with the HD AMG batteries.. 

Moparnut72

I just watched a Myth Busters Jr a couple of days ago. The kids were trying to prove that lithium batteries were a fire hazard. They were able to show that heat could set them on fire as well as extreme pressure. They were able to set a compactor garbage truck on fire with them. My next battery will be an AGM for increased starting amperage. My bike doesn't exactly spin right over with the factory battery. When it is in the 30's it may not spin over at all on the first try.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Deye76

"The kids were trying to prove that lithium batteries were a fire hazard."

Lithium Ion, or Lithium Iron?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

masstch

Quote from: Deye76 on January 21, 2019, 04:34:58 PM

Or Lithium-Polymer?? You can trigger immolation mode in a Li-Po with the wrong type of charger
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

u4hd2

H-D now has Lithium LiFe batteries. The one for 04-later Touring weighs 4.72 lbs at $299.95
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

Rockout Rocker Products

They have new state of the art 75-140 gear oil too. Are they jumping off the Syn-3 express?
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

smoserx1

QuoteH-D now has Lithium LiFe batteries. The one for 04-later Touring weighs 4.72 lbs at $299.95

Why is this battery for 04-19 models when the AGM version is for 97-19 models?

kd

KD

boooby1744

Quote from: masstch on January 22, 2019, 04:19:24 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on January 21, 2019, 04:34:58 PM

Or Lithium-Polymer?? You can trigger immolation mode in a Li-Po with the wrong type of charger
I think the charger makes the difference

smoserx1

QuoteCharging system?  :nix:

I think you are right.  The PN for the regulator changed in 04.  Looks like the stators were still single phase until 06 (at least the microfiche illustration shows 2 wires).  The H-D lithium looks like a smaller battery and they give you a spacer box.  Guess I will stick with what I got.

Deye76

LOL, I'm running a lithium iRon with a OE 1992 charging system. 2+ years, now.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Rusticwater

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 30, 2019, 02:24:07 PM
NEXT!

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/lithium-life-8ah-battery

Saw that, I wonder who makes it? I read the installation sheet and was quite surprised over how the rest voltage-state of charge values vary quite a bit from the AGM batteries.
Support the Maine lobster industry

No Cents

Lately it has been cold around here. Today I think it dipped down to -5* without the wind chill factored in.
I put the lithium maintainer on the battery a few days ago and left it hooked up to see how it would do with these cold days and even colder nights were having.
   I bundled my butt up and went out to my unheated/ un-insulated metal pole barn....buuuurrr it was cold in there. I turn the ignition on to the bike and as soon as I heard the fuel pump kick off I hit the start button. It fired the bike up instantly like the plugs were out of it.   
   My winter time lithium battery report.    :smile:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

jam65

Ray, no short runs during the winter time. :hyst:

mrmike

That's right! Now get your ass out there and put at least 50 miles on it.

You know to burn off the condensation.

You did say you bundled up.  :crook:

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

No Cents

too much snow on the roads today for me...now they are all salt covered.  :emsad:

wfolarry

Quote from: No Cents on January 30, 2019, 03:44:18 PM
   Lately it has been cold around here. Today I think it dipped down to -5* without the wind chill factored in.
I put the lithium maintainer on the battery a few days ago and left it hooked up to see how it would do with these cold days and even colder nights were having.
   I bundled my butt up and went out to my unheated/ un-insulated metal pole barn....buuuurrr it was cold in there. I turn the ignition on to the bike and as soon as I heard the fuel pump kick off I hit the start button. It fired the bike up instantly like the plugs were out of it.   
   My winter time lithium battery report.    :smile:

I think it was the travel limiters that did that.  :teeth:

No Cents

I have no travel limiters in the lifters. I took them out last year.

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on January 31, 2019, 07:14:55 AM
  I have no travel limiters in the lifters. I took them out last year.
After all of this I went out and plugged in the charger on my Street Glide and it went to fully charged . I had no problems with my battery so unless it gives me trouble I put one in my Road glide if it needs one when I get it home . Ray I going to give the limiters a try one of these days as I don't see a down side from what I read .I don't know exactly how may miles is on the motor in the Street Glide but I don't intend on running the lifters till failure, not sure what the life on the lifters are but I just going to change them and call that good enough