April 25, 2024, 03:14:50 AM

News:

Comptession releases

Started by Dan, January 18, 2019, 12:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Hello all,

Just got quoted by Tilley HD in Statesville $205 plus tax to drill for compression releases and the heads are off the bike. Price is unreasonable to me. 1. How much should I realistically expect pay? 2. Can you recommend a good machine shop in the Huntersville/Charlotte area? I need to have an exhaust stud hole welded up and re-tapped, thanks!

Boe Cole

While it does seem a little pricey, you need to consider that it takes a certain jig to get it right and if they are the only ones in the neighborhood doing it, you'll need to figure in shipping/handling charges if you send them out.  And then there is the wiring and or reaching them if you go with manual's.

As an afterthought, if you are planning on doing cams at the same time, you can avoid the compression releases if you go with s&s ez start cams.  I'm using them and the principal is simple and they have worked out well for me.  Had to disable the acr's on my bike but have had problems with them in the past and replacing them is an expensive pain between the cost of the acr & valve cover gaskets.  If you are unable to do the work yourself for one reason or another, they may be your best bet.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dan

Thanks for the quick reply Boe. There are several Harley dealers in the Charlotte area and in the past I have had work done by them that was reasonable. I have manual compression releases in the SE heads currently on my bike, but would like to throw these back on since the were worked over by Hippo at SBC years back. I have a drill press, but don't see the value in buying the tool for a one time use.

borno

I bought the jig, and then sold it after I used it. We both got a good deal so I wound up paying $50 and the guy got a good deal on the jig. I don't think the jig was much more than $200

Deye76

TMan is about a hour and a half from Charlotte.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I don't think that's outrageous at all. The Labor is probably $130 - $150  and Hour alone.
Tom

Dan

Heads are not on the bike. Should take no more than 1/2 hour and at $200+ is $100 more than I'm willing to pay. I don't mind paying for work that is fairly priced, but this quote is not reasonable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.e

Geezer_Glider

Manual or electric releases? What year engine?
Just asking,
R Meyer

Barrett

Dan

Dan

Thanks Garret. I'll call Bean to discuss!

MikeL

Dont forget to add shipping to and from.
I use USPS flat rate medium box $27.30 for 2 boxes 3 days to destination. UPS is more and from my experience they beat up the package and take longer to get there.
So if you use USPS both ways $54.60

MIKE

Dan

BVHOG

Fkn, ridiculous, anyone who has used this jig will tell you that 20 minutes will easily do both heads.  How bad is the head that you think the stud hole needs to be welded, is it beyond an insert?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Dan

Here is the hole I need fixed. Hope it loaded.

sixxfoot

Jim's Vtwin could do this no problem, I believe he is in Mooresville
704-904-6325
The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

BVHOG

Quote from: Dan on January 20, 2019, 07:17:17 PM
Here is the hole I need fixed. Hope it loaded.
I believe the jig for drilling those is around 40-50 bucks, a good investment and you can easily do it yourself and install an insert.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Dan

Spime with Jim at Jim's Vtwin and he is backed up with work coming back from recent surgery. He recommended Josh Beaver in Cleveland NC and we met Saturday. I'll keep you posted. He is going to check on welding the exhaust stud and recapping.

Dan

February 02, 2019, 08:54:18 PM #18 Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:48:44 PM by Dan
Picked up my heads from Josh today. Exhaust port eas welded up and retapped. Heads were drilled for releases. He did a great job and was reasonably priced. If you're in the Charlotte, Huntersville, Mooresville, Statesville areas and looking for good work, give Josh a call. He also does dyno tuning! 704-881-4722. Beaver VTwins.

Dan

Dan

Quote from: Dan on January 18, 2019, 12:49:31 PM
Hello all,

Just got quoted by Tilley HD in Statesville $205 plus tax to drill for compression releases and the heads are off the bike. Price is unreasonable to me. 1. How much should I realistically expect pay? 2. Can you recommend a good machine shop in the Huntersville/Charlotte area? I need to have an exhaust stud hole welded up and re-tapped, thanks!