April 23, 2024, 10:59:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brembo Calipers

Started by Deye76, January 23, 2019, 02:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Quote from: Heinz on January 28, 2019, 08:03:25 AM
This may have been discussed in other posts but what about the non compatibility with ABS brake systems? This is a quote from collision.alldata.com: Silicone also has slightly different physical properties and compressibility, making it unsuitable for ABS systems calibrated to work with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
That was my understanding of why HD didn't use dot 5 with the brembo's as they couldn't get ABS to function properly when using dot 5. I "read that some where" and was also told the same thing by a dealer that I worked for years ago. I don't have an official notarized statement from Harley Davidson attesting to that though just to be clear.

Harley introduced Brembos on the bagger models in 2008 if I recall correctly. Don't know what year on the V-Rods. I do not recall if they switched the bagger line back to DOT 4 prior to the brembo's when still using the older brakes.

I think dot 4 is probably better but with expensive paint jobs etc, dot 5 is insurance and has worked fine for me. With any brake fluid, I think the biggest problems arise from not changing it every couple of years.

Ohio HD

That's the way their documentation reads, no DOT 5 in ABS applications.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/brembo_tech_info.html