April 23, 2024, 03:37:13 AM

News:

New sporty break in vs twin cam/ M8 ?

Started by Adam76, January 26, 2019, 04:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys,
I followed the advice from some of the forum gurus here and threads and posts by guys who build engines and tune them for a living....

I have a New sportster 48, and did the first 30 miles break in yesterday.

I Followed the 30 - 60 in 3rd gear method That I've read about here quite a bit.

For the first 50 miles,  got up to third gear at 30mph at around 2000rpm  --  then hard acceleration to 60 mph around 4000rpm  --  then let go of the throttle to let the engine breaking kick in and help seat the rings.

I did this continually,  but I'm being told by a lot of folk that this is exactly what NOT to do.  ??

Everyone is saying I should have followed the Moco suggested method of break in which is basically baby the engine for the first 500 miles, keeping revs below 3000, then 3500 etc.

**** The only problem I had was in 3rd gear at 30mph at 2000rpm,  during hard acceleration it dud feel like the engine didnt want to pull, like it was lugging the engine  ****

When I did the 2000rpm to 4000rpm hard acceleration in 2nd gear tnere was no problem and it pulled hard.

Now I'm thinking I've screwed up the break in, and the only damn reason I bought new and not slightly used was so that i could ensure a real good break in by doing it myself!!!

Any advice / thoughts appreciated.
Cheers

kd

January 26, 2019, 05:02:28 PM #1 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:26:35 PM by kd
Up around 3rd gear 2000 rpm is a little low but my feeling is you are OK if you don't make it a habit. I suspect you noticed at 2500 it picked up and went better. Even after break in.  The reality is after a couple of heat cycles and 50 miles you are there.  You approach IS acceptable and used by many that understand the purpose of break in and how to make that happen.  Start enjoying your new bike by riding it normal now.   :wink:
KD

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Adam76

Quote from: kd on January 26, 2019, 05:02:28 PM
Up around 3rd gear 2000 rpm is a little low but my feeling is you are OK if you don't make it a habit. I suspect you noticed at 2500 it picked up and went better. Even after break in.  The reality is after a couple of heat cycles and 50 miles you are there.  You approach IS acceptable and used by many that understand the purpose of break in and how to make that happen.  Start enjoying your new bike by riding it normal now.   :wink:
Thanks kd
Definitely not making a habit of it,  it was just for the purpose of break in and good ring seating and hopefully better potential engine performance.
Thanks for your input,  I was pretty worried for a while there.

speedzter

Probably not ideal from the low revs in 3rd, but you will be fine.
Do some more miles with varying revs, limited to around 3/4 of peak, and you will be good.
Also do an early oil/filter change.

Adam76

Quote from: speedzter on January 27, 2019, 12:20:40 AM
Do some more miles with varying revs, limited to around 3/4 of peak, and you will be good.
Thanks speedzter, what do you mean by 3/4 of peak?
Cheers

smoserx1

You did fine.  To be honest I don't think it makes all that much difference within reason.  Bought my 99 Twin cam new and babied it first 500 miles cause that is what everybody said back then.  Got 179000 on it before I did a top end.  Installed 95 in jugs and flat tops plus "low mileage" take off heads.  Did the work myself and broke it in by pulling pulled five or six 5000 RPM shifts, followed by with high RPM engine deceleration the first couple of miles after a thorough warm up in the driveway.  No heat cycling or any of that stuff and just one 400 mile oil change later then regular 5000 mile schedule afterward  That was 25000 miles ago and it rune like a champ.  Oh, BYW, pretty bike!

kd

smoserx1 makes another good point.  Do an early oil change too.   
KD

Don D

Your motor is broken in. Change the oil to your choice.

kd

KD

Hossamania

I agree, I like the first two oil changes to happen pretty early, usually at 500 miles or less, then 1500, then change at normal intervals.
I've always broken in my new bikes by riding normally, no racing, no short shifting, but I do run them hard a few times into the upper rpms, just to make sure everything is working properly.
Your technique of loading and unloading the rings is fine. Don't worry about the motor, just run it and have fun.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

speedzter

Quote from: Adam76 on January 27, 2019, 05:10:09 AM
Quote from: speedzter on January 27, 2019, 12:20:40 AM
Thanks speedzter, what do you mean by 3/4 of peak?
Cheers

Limit to somewhere around 3/4 of peak revs,  if the rev limit is 6000, try to stay below 5000 .
You probably don't have a Tacho' anyway !
Basically don't bounce of the limiter for a few more miles.

Adam76

Thanks guys,
Appreciate the feedback and reassurance. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge....
Cheers  👍

Boe Cole

You may want to change the oil in the primary as well.  Always find paste on the magnet after the 500 mile mark and at the first service.  Thinking it comes from the primary chain.  After the 2nd or third change, its all but gone.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Adam76

Quote from: Boe Cole on January 28, 2019, 01:55:37 PM
You may want to change the oil in the primary as well.  Always find paste on the magnet after the 500 mile mark and at the first service.  Thinking it comes from the primary chain.  After the 2nd or third change, its all but gone.
Thanks Boe, I'll do that.  👍