April 19, 2024, 04:23:39 AM

News:

TC Rocker Arm Bolts

Started by fbn ent, January 26, 2019, 06:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Anyone shortened the left bolts (valve side) on the rear rocker arm support? That sucker is a be-atch to get out! Only need 3/32" or so... I forget about it every time.  :doh:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Can you remove the front motor mount and drop the motor down?

IronMike113

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 26, 2019, 06:51:23 PM

YUP my 131 is sitting in that Position as we speak,,,,,,,,,, :hyst: that botch is a shade taller
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

klammer76

Quote from: fbn ent on January 26, 2019, 06:31:53 PM
Anyone shortened the left bolts (valve side) on the rear rocker arm support? That sucker is a be-atch to get out! Only need 3/32" or so... I forget about it every time.  :doh:
Just remove the two bolts that hold the breather assembly then maneuver the rocker arm plate out. You can also move it enough to remove the two right side bolts and it will maneuver out easy with a little finesse. Never had a big problem doing my 2002.

fbn ent

Probably Ohio but you know how it goes, Murphy raises his head at the most inopportune times...

Was just wondering if it was a BAD idea? Lots of threads there.

Klammer, after doing all that, I had to take all the bolts out of the lower cover to get enough room. I've had trouble before with this but Holy S**t! Either I'm getting old (I Am) or I don't finesse like I used to (probably don't)  :banghead:

klammer76

Quote from: fbn ent on January 26, 2019, 07:07:35 PM

Probably Ohio but you know how it goes, Murphy raises his head at the most inopportune times...

Was just wondering if it was a BAD idea? Lots of threads there.

Klammer, after doing all that, I had to take all the bolts out of the lower cover to get enough room. I've had trouble before with this but Holy S**t! Either I'm getting old (I Am) or I don't finesse like I used to (probably don't)  :banghead:
I know what ya mean about losing the finesse. Sounds like it is a bear. I have always done mine like I described (currently actually). Sorry yours is giving you problems.

PoorUB

I never have any trouble, a bit of wiggle and jiggle to get them out, but nothing I lose sleep over. screwing it a part and back together is worse then wiggling the rocker assemblies out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fbn ent

SO I'm guessing that shortening the bolts a tad might not be a good plan.....that's why I asked. Pulled threads on THAT assembly would be a bummer!

Ohio HD

I knew you'd see it that way.     :smile:

rbabos

Quote from: fbn ent on January 27, 2019, 10:04:26 AM
SO I'm guessing that shortening the bolts a tad might not be a good plan.....that's why I asked. Pulled threads on THAT assembly would be a bummer!
They can strip out. Had one pull at half the torque value once. That blows. Keep all the thread you can.
Ron

No Cents

here is a little tip that might help...totally loosen all four rocker support bolts and the two breather bolts. Then tilt the rocker arm support plate up on the cam side of the engine. While you have it tilted up...take a screwdriver and push that back bolt up and slide the rocker arm support to the right a little bit and then toward you. You can then move the support around with the back bolt not wanting to fall directly back into the bolt hole.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

fbn ent

Yeah, I've had them off many times but this time just kicked my ass... :nix:

No Cents

...if you have a telescoping magnet...it will work even better than a screwdriver to hold that back bolt up.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae