April 19, 2024, 02:41:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

3/4 Axle for 2002 touring swingarm

Started by flht1550, January 28, 2019, 07:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

I want to swap out swing arms in a 1984 FXR to a 2002 and up touring model. I understand I'll need to relocate the shock mounts. My question is does anyone offer a 3/4 axle to run in this 2002 touring swing arm application ?

koko3052

An axle from a fatboy may be the right length. Softails are 3/4". Just make some bushings for where the adjusters go. :nix:

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ajayrk

Quote from: koko3052 on January 28, 2019, 07:52:12 AM
An axle from a fatboy may be the right length. Softails are 3/4". Just make some bushings for where the adjusters go. :nix:

Good suggestion.  Here is mine.  Use the stock one inch axle, turn it down to 3/4", but leave the left side one inch where it passes through the swing arm and use a bushing on the oposite side to fit over the 3/4" diameter to bring it to a one inch diameter.  A flanged bushing would keep it in place.
AJ

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on January 28, 2019, 07:23:35 AM
I want to swap out swing arms in a 1984 FXR to a 2002 and up touring model. I understand I'll need to relocate the shock mounts. My question is does anyone offer a 3/4 axle to run in this 2002 touring swing arm application ?

1. No need to relocate shock mounts. Long shocks with the correct spring pressure and valving are quite common. I have this arm on all three of my FXRs, shock mounts have not been relocated on any of them.

2. I dont know of an off the shelf source for a conversion axle. What issue do you have with running a later model wheel with sealed 1" ID bearings?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flht1550

turboprop, I don't really have a problem with a newer style wheel just starting to think the only think I'm saving from this bike is the titled frame, What wheel would you suggest if is was searching ebay listings. The axle machining was also a thought but would need to also have a cam made for the left side for chain adjustment after machining down to 3/4 and rethreading axle. I was also thinking if I didn't relocate my upper shock mounts and leaving the 02 touring swing arm lower mounts that might be enough angle correction to satisfy my eye for shock angle. what shocks be you recommend ? I prefer a little taller stance. I'd also love one of gigacycles inverted front ends but again cost more than I paid for the bike. Has anyone have a cheaper solution to an inverted fork. I can by forks and calipers no problem but is anyone else making a nice set of triple trees for this application

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on January 29, 2019, 06:35:29 AM
turboprop, I don't really have a problem with a newer style wheel just starting to think the only think I'm saving from this bike is the titled frame, What wheel would you suggest if is was searching ebay listings. The axle machining was also a thought but would need to also have a cam made for the left side for chain adjustment after machining down to 3/4 and rethreading axle. I was also thinking if I didn't relocate my upper shock mounts and leaving the 02 touring swing arm lower mounts that might be enough angle correction to satisfy my eye for shock angle. what shocks be you recommend ? I prefer a little taller stance. I'd also love one of gigacycles inverted front ends but again cost more than I paid for the bike. Has anyone have a cheaper solution to an inverted fork. I can by forks and calipers no problem but is anyone else making a nice set of triple trees for this application

Just about any harley wheel or hub that came from the factory with sealed bearings that has the standard width (flange to flange) as a '99-'06 (maybe slightly earlier or later) is in play. The bearings for the 1", ¾" and 25" axles can all be interchanged in the wheel or hub. Some hubs may need to have the hole for the spacer tube slightly enlarged to clear the tube. Not hard.

I have bikes with both hub/spoke and cast style wheels. The hub came from an early TC softail, the cast wheels came from an early '00-ish dyna. Both are interchangeable.

No free lunch on the inverted forks. Two of my FXRs have inverted forks, one has a DX fork. Just about all of the inverted forks from sport bikes are about three inches too short to work on an FXR and their trees have the wrong offset. I made my own trees (exercise in stupidity) but know their are options. I like the ones sold by Brocks Performance. They even offer some extenders (dont listen to the arm chair crowd that has done nothing) in 1" and 3". The Brocks trees, gixxer fork legs, and 3" extensions are just about perfect. With the extensions the lowe tree is flipped over to put the clamps in the correct location on the legs. The only issue is the fender.Gigacycle makes a really nice fender adapter, not sure if Tim will sell it individually. The fender options are to use the oem gixxer fender (I did), fab a bracket to adapt a harley fender, beg Tim to sell one of his adapters or go without a fender.

These FXRs are sort of trendy right now. Hopefully that will change and prices will return to normal levels. Regardless, with the exception of the CVO models, the last FXR model was made 25 years ago and lived through countless 'expert hacks' and probably have some miles on them. Anyone that takes on one of these old bikes should really be prepared to go through everything and update most of it. Frame is good, but just about everything else can be updated. Good example is my red/white FXR. I think the only OEM stuff remaining on that bike are the frame, oil tank, mid controls and the primary covers. I have everything that came off of it in the shed and my bikes are a bit 'extreme' but I think you get the picture. I recommend doing it all up front instead of piece meal. Take it right down to the frame and rebuild. Enjoy.

flht1550

Thanks Turboprop for your recommendations and support, Yes the plan is bare frame and work my way up. I got a deal a while back on a S&S 113, I've had the bagger trans with underside oil pan for some years. Would love a Gigacycles inverted front end but it cost more than I have invested in everything else. already have inner and outer primaries and splined clutch. I'd like to see pictures of your bikes with the 02 touring swing arms.

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on January 29, 2019, 10:44:39 AM
Thanks Turboprop for your recommendations and support, Yes the plan is bare frame and work my way up. I got a deal a while back on a S&S 113, I've had the bagger trans with underside oil pan for some years. Would love a Gigacycles inverted front end but it cost more than I have invested in everything else. already have inner and outer primaries and splined clutch. I'd like to see pictures of your bikes with the 02 touring swing arms.

Pics are all over this forum.

Ironheadmike

If you Pm me what you need and the dimensions , I could make them for you .