April 19, 2024, 02:24:57 PM

News:

New wheel bearings won't spin

Started by Heinz, January 31, 2019, 08:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

I've put in many wheel bearings over the years and I have run into an issue that I haven't seen before. Bike is 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. I  Removed old wheel bearings, rear wheel, and they came out easy enough. I first installed the right wheel bearing, the ABS one, and put it in until it bottomed out. Then I put the sleeve in made sure it was straight and installed the left bearing until it bumped into the sleeve. Easy enough so far. The sleeve was set really straight but I put the axle in all the way through just to perfect the sleeve alignment. After install neither of the bearings spin or move with my fingers. Never had that happen before.  I'm currently installing a new engine and transmission and the swingarm is off (waiting for parts) so I can't do a test by installing the wheel and spinning it. Thoughts?

tommy g

I have a nice installer tool I purchased from Georges Garage. After several installations my experience has been the same as yours and to date no issues.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Scotty

Think about it you are trying to spin the inside of the bearing that when mounted does not move!
The center is held still and the outside turns.
Just mount the wheel without the brake and belt and it will spin like normal.

Heinz

Quote from: Scotty on January 31, 2019, 09:30:57 PM
Think about it you are trying to spin the inside of the bearing that when mounted does not move!
The center is held still and the outside turns.
Just mount the wheel without the brake and belt and it will spin like normal.

I see what you are saying and it makes sense but the service manual says to replace the bearings "... if there is drag, rough rotation, abnormal noise or anything unusual." How can you determine those factors if you can't spin the bearing?

Heinz

I should also point out that I bought this OEM wheel 2 years ago and this is the first time I've replaced bearings on this particular wheel. Furthermore, admittedly these bearings were a lot harder to get out than others that I have removed from other wheels. It took a lot of strength and manpower to get the wrench to move and at the time I was blaming it on my old age. But putting the new ones in with a little anti-seize coating they went in like a hot knife through butter.

borno

The rubber seals on the bearings will cause some drag especially when new. Probably what is going on.

les

So, your gut tells you "something ain't right"?  Then it probably isn't with the experience you have with installing wheel bearings.  It could be that you accidentally pressed the inner race too hard against the tube.

Ohio HD

Were the bearings put in by a proper wheel bearing press, or tapped in?   

Heinz

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 01, 2019, 06:19:58 AM
Were the bearings put in by a proper wheel bearing press, or tapped in?

Jims Tools wheel bearing remover/installer.

Heinz

Quote from: les on February 01, 2019, 06:18:30 AM
So, your gut tells you "something ain't right"?  Then it probably isn't with the experience you have with installing wheel bearings.  It could be that you accidentally pressed the inner race too hard against the tube.

Les, you motivated me to act. I removed the left bearing. The right bearing spun freely. I replaced the left bearing with a new one and was very sensitive to stop once I felt any resistance at all with the spacer. Now both bearings spin. I must have put just a tad too much force against the spacer in the initial installation. Just one less thing to worry about even though the redo may not have been necessary.

Coyote

I'd bet you wasted a perfectly good bearing.  :wink:

rbabos

Quote from: Heinz on February 01, 2019, 10:23:35 AM

Les, you motivated me to act. I removed the left bearing. The right bearing spun freely. I replaced the left bearing with a new one and was very sensitive to stop once I felt any resistance at all with the spacer. Now both bearings spin. I must have put just a tad too much force against the spacer in the initial installation. Just one less thing to worry about even though the redo may not have been necessary.
No more then torquing the axle nut would do.
Ron

Coyote

Scotty

Les you are not correct in this......When you torque the wheel the center will now be pressed in away from the outside of the bearing put more stress on it the necessary.
I have discussed this with a lot of people and pulled the bearings out of wheels and put them in and did a lot of checks and the bearings that last the longest are the ones where the installer is torqued up to the wheel axle specifications.
I don't care what other people do but after a raft of bearing failures on late model HD's after following advice on this forum about putting in the bearing so it just touches the inner spacer I found that information to be wrong or  :turd:

rbabos

Quote from: Scotty on February 01, 2019, 02:11:10 PM

Les you are not correct in this......When you torque the wheel the center will now be pressed in away from the outside of the bearing put more stress on it the necessary.
I have discussed this with a lot of people and pulled the bearings out of wheels and put them in and did a lot of checks and the bearings that last the longest are the ones where the installer is torqued up to the wheel axle specifications.
I don't care what other people do but after a raft of bearing failures on late model HD's after following advice on this forum about putting in the bearing so it just touches the inner spacer I found that information to be wrong or  :turd:
While on the topic, I don't remember exactly but think it was Jims tool that was incorrectly machined to correctly press or apply the correct pressure points on the bearing as to not separately load the outer race against the inner. Nothing like paying top dollar for a fk up tool and expecting correct results. I'm sure it's not just me that noticed this tool error.
Ron

Heinz

Quote from: Coyote on February 01, 2019, 01:33:49 PM
I'd bet you wasted a perfectly good bearing.  :wink:

Trust me, it's not the first time I've pissed my money away on harley parts.

PoorUB

The bearing installer I have has a recess on the one washer. No clue why, I feel that a flat surface driving the inner and outer race at the same time is necessary for the second bearing. I flip the washer over and use the flat side to drive the bearing. maybe the OP has a similar screwy tool. I have also seen where the sleeve gets slightly off and the bearing does not get driven in far enough. I have considered getting a piece of tubing slightly smaller than the ID of the bearing to help guide the sleeve and bearings.

In this case it sounds like the second bearing was pressed in too far. If it were my bike I might have taken the chance and tried to pull it out a RCH.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on February 01, 2019, 04:28:46 PM
The bearing installer I have has a recess on the one washer. No clue why, I feel that a flat surface driving the inner and outer race at the same time is necessary for the second bearing. I flip the washer over and use the flat side to drive the bearing. maybe the OP has a similar screwy tool. I have also seen where the sleeve gets slightly off and the bearing does not get driven in far enough. I have considered getting a piece of tubing slightly smaller than the ID of the bearing to help guide the sleeve and bearings.

In this case it sounds like the second bearing was pressed in too far. If it were my bike I might have taken the chance and tried to pull it out a RCH.

Exactly what I do.

[attach=0]

rbabos

There in lies the problem with the tool and not paying attention can cause problems. Pressing the first bearing in there is no issue with the tool design but pressing the second bearing in, the first bearing should be either supported on either both inner and outer or just the inner. Never ever the outer part of the bearing.  Sleeve goes in and second bearing is pressed in pressing on both inner and outer at the same time. Beware of the tool at this stage. I think you can flip it over to flat surface. This way there is no pressure difference between inner and outer races on either side so all you are doing is making contact on the inner spacer. Once contact is made and the spacer is square to the faces of the bearings inner races, you can press your balls off, or at least what clamping the axle nut would give. There will be no unwanted loading at the bearing balls this way. That's usually what kills them as in short life span. Anyway, that's my 2c
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Coyote on February 01, 2019, 04:47:53 PM

Exactly what I do.

[attach=0,msg1280385]
That's a good idea.
Ron

Hilly13

Quote from: rbabos on February 01, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
Quote from: Coyote on February 01, 2019, 04:47:53 PM

Exactly what I do.

[attach=0,msg1280385]
That's a good idea.
Ron
It is and I can't believe it never occurred to me  :doh:
Just because its said don't make it so

PoorUB

I looked quick, Schedule 40 PVC is 1.040" OD. Cut a piece just short of the distance between the outer sides of the bearings, then split it with a fairly wide kerf. It should just fit snug into 1" or a bit more kerf and it will fit in 25MM bearings.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Heinz

Quote from: rbabos on February 01, 2019, 04:49:49 PM
There in lies the problem with the tool and not paying attention can cause problems. Pressing the first bearing in there is no issue with the tool design but pressing the second bearing in, the first bearing should be either supported on either both inner and outer or just the inner. Never ever the outer part of the bearing.  Sleeve goes in and second bearing is pressed in pressing on both inner and outer at the same time. Beware of the tool at this stage. I think you can flip it over to flat surface. This way there is no pressure difference between inner and outer races on either side so all you are doing is making contact on the inner spacer. Once contact is made and the spacer is square to the faces of the bearings inner races, you can press your balls off, or at least what clamping the axle nut would give. There will be no unwanted loading at the bearing balls this way. That's usually what kills them as in short life span. Anyway, that's my 2c
Ron

Ron, your explanation makes a lot of sense and I'm sure it has made a lot of readers think about how they install wheel bearings. I attached a picture here of a component of my kit and you can see the installer tool favors pressure on the outside because it is countersunk slightly on the inside portion. I wonder what the thinking was with the engineers who designed this? You are right, the tool should be flat when pressing the 2nd bearing in so contact with the spacer is made by pressing the inside portion of the bearing into it not from pressing the outside part of the bearing into the spacer like my tool does. By flipping the tool around you get a flat installer but you lose the pilot to line up the spacer and the bearing. I'm thinking that putting a lathe to it and making it flat along the entire surface will solve the problem. I assume that can be done.

And for lining up the spacer with the bearing on the other end that was just pressed in, I like PoorUB's idea of kerfing a a piece of schedule 40 3/4 inch pvc. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece. It was about 25.5 mm before the kerf on the table saw. Once I made the cut it fit inside my 25 mm bearing and spacer really nice with room for the bolt to pass through. Thanks for the insight and tips. I hope I understood everything correctly.
[attach=0]

rbabos

Quote from: Heinz on February 02, 2019, 01:54:59 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 01, 2019, 04:49:49 PM
Ron

Ron, your explanation makes a lot of sense and I'm sure it has made a lot of readers think about how they install wheel bearings. I attached a picture here of a component of my kit and you can see the installer tool favors pressure on the outside because it is countersunk slightly on the inside portion. I wonder what the thinking was with the engineers who designed this? You are right, the tool should be flat when pressing the 2nd bearing in so contact with the spacer is made by pressing the inside portion of the bearing into it not from pressing the outside part of the bearing into the spacer like my tool does. By flipping the tool around you get a flat installer but you lose the pilot to line up the spacer and the bearing. I'm thinking that putting a lathe to it and making it flat along the entire surface will solve the problem. I assume that can be done.

And for lining up the spacer with the bearing on the other end that was just pressed in, I like PoorUB's idea of kerfing a a piece of schedule 40 3/4 inch pvc. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece. It was about 25.5 mm before the kerf on the table saw. Once I made the cut it fit inside my 25 mm bearing and spacer really nice with room for the bolt to pass through. Thanks for the insight and tips. I hope I understood everything correctly.
[attach=0,msg1280532]
Had this conversation with an Indy a few years ago. He pulled out his bearing toosl and showed me he already machined it flat, finding it could cause problems as is or already ran into a problem with it. Mind you, he has a lathe and milling machine in his shop being an X machinist it was a piece of cake. Thing is, he saw the issue with the tool, as he does a lot of bearings with it long before I came along.
Ron