April 24, 2024, 11:33:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Worn drive side ring/sprocket gears?

Started by Heinz, February 01, 2019, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

February 01, 2019, 04:30:34 PM Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:22:11 PM by Heinz
I'm installing new billet aluminum anodized clutch baskets onto my stock primary/starter ring/sprocket gear for my 2011 Street Glide and 2010 Ultra Classic. The SG is putting out 125/125 and the UC is getting a new 124 S&S motor next week so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. The SG has only 11k miles on it and the UC has 90K miles. I pressed the clutch hubs out of both gears, drilled and punched out the rivets, removed the stock baskets and drilled the bigger holes in the gear plates and I'm ready to install the new Barnett baskets. I had the two ring/sprocket gears sitting side by side and I noticed the teeth on the 90K sprocket gears were worn at the tips much more so than the 11k mileage teeth. I looked in the SM and didn't see anything about teeth wear service limits and what the spec is. I don't want to buy a new big twin basket with new ring/sprocket gears if I don't have to but I don't want problems either. I've already purchased the two new baskets. Does any company sell just the ring/sprocket gears? I have attached pictures here to show the two units. I'd appreciate feedback.
[attach=0,msg1280381]  [attach=1,msg1280381]
[attach=2,msg1280381]  [attach=3,msg1280381]

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

smoserx1

The gears you are showing are not ring gears.  The ring gear is what the starter pinion engages.  If you can't find the sprocket, ebay has a ton of clutch baskets with decent sprockets cheap.  I'm guessing your primary chain was run too tight.

kd

IIRC you can probably get their 49 tooth sprocket if you want a lower ratio.
KD

road-dawgs1

Quote from: kd on February 01, 2019, 06:02:15 PM
IIRC you can probably get their 49 tooth sprocket if you want a lower ratio.

I run their 49 tooth conversion in my 08.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Heinz

Quote from: smoserx1 on February 01, 2019, 05:53:05 PM
The gears you are showing are not ring gears.  The ring gear is what the starter pinion engages.  If you can't find the sprocket, ebay has a ton of clutch baskets with decent sprockets cheap.  I'm guessing your primary chain was run too tight.

I edited my initial post to clear up the proper name. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I ran the OEM automatic chain tensioner for 60k miles before switching to the Baker Attitude Adjuster. Should have done it much sooner.

Norton Commando

Interesting hypothesis. I usually see worn tips on sprockets owing to a chain that is too loose, rather than too tight.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Norton Commando on February 02, 2019, 06:38:01 AM

Interesting hypothesis. I usually see worn tips on sprockets owing to a chain that is too loose, rather than too tight.

Jason

:up:

Admiral Akbar

There is nothing wrong with either sprocket. The ends of the teeth were simply cut differently. The pointy one allows for slightly greater misalignment of the sprockets.

cheech

Exactly^^^^^ You can still see the scale on the teeth from the heat treat. No wear there

Norton Commando

Quote from: cheech on February 02, 2019, 03:44:18 PM
Exactly^^^^^ You can still see the scale on the teeth from the heat treat. No wear there

I guess I'm lost as to which sprocket reportedly has wear. Picture #3 clearly shows displaced/rolled metal.

Jason

kd

February 03, 2019, 05:55:40 AM #11 Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:44:11 AM by kd
 :agree:  The drive / work side of that sprocket does show metal fatigue and displacement 1/2 way up the tooth to the tip.
KD

smoserx1

Last summer I replaced everything in my primary with components from a MM-EFI bike to get the 3.37 ratio.  The stuff that came out of mine had over 200K on it.  The 3.37 stuff I bought used and on line claimed to have about 75K on it.  I was very careful when I did this to look at the images of the sprockets before I bought something.  I could tell no visual difference in the sprockets that came out of my bike vs what went in vs any other image I could find anywhere, even new stuff.  That certainly does not mean mine had no wear...I know better than that.  Every where I looked the clutch basket sprockets have flat points on the teeth and ironically all of the compensating sprockets have pointy teeth.  Even the drawings in my parts manual show this effect.  I still have the old stuff in a box and just looked at it again now.

The reason I guessed earlier the OP's chain might be too tight is with the manual adjuster I have never been able to get mine in the 5/8 - 7/8 inch range cold the SM recommends.  Seems like I can only get it from about an inch or just over to about a half inch, and if I set it to the tighter step it will get hot and whine.  When I pop the inspection cover off there is no slack at all hot, and I am not running my chain that tight.  So I always ran mine a little loose and have gotten good life out of the components.  Anyway unless someone changed clutch basket vendors or the method of sprocket manufacturing, that clutch sprocket in the OP does not look normal to me.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: kd on February 03, 2019, 05:55:40 AM
:agree:  The drive / work side of that sprocket does show metal fatigue and displacement 1/2 wat up the tooth to the tip.

Don't see it.

rbabos

I also see no reason to be concerned. Sprocket wear is also a product of the chain stretch and changing pitch some. This will wear the tips more but those pic show a lot of miles left to go. It's when you can see a curl in the tips and can shave with them is when they are pooched. As mentioned a chain too loose will wear them more also.
Ron

kd

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on February 03, 2019, 08:21:07 AM
:agree:  The drive / work side of that sprocket does show metal fatigue and displacement 1/2 wat up the tooth to the tip.

Don't see it.

Max, with the 3rd pic enlarged you can see (at least I do) the edge on the work side is slightly rolled out of where the roller runs when driving.  The decel side still looks crisp.  We're not talking hooked teeth yet but it does appear to me to have early wear signs.
KD

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: kd on February 03, 2019, 08:50:02 AM

Don't see it.

Max, with the 3rd pic enlarged you can see (at least I do) the edge on the work side is slightly rolled out of where the roller runs when driving.  The decel side still looks crisp.  We're not talking hooked teeth yet but it does appear to me to have early wear signs.

Machining process burr.. One tooth to the right shows it was deburred.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on February 03, 2019, 10:03:35 AM
Quote from: kd on February 03, 2019, 08:50:02 AM

Don't see it.

Machining process burr.. One tooth to the right shows it was deburred.

Sorry, I vehemently disagree!

Jason