April 19, 2024, 06:54:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Drive belt replacement

Started by Rob L, February 06, 2019, 09:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

I'm gonna be doing a motor swap in a few weeks and I'm looking to replace the belt since I'll have everything apart already. I'm not looking to convert to a chain but I'm looking for something better/stronger than a stock belt, if there is anything. The current belt has 60k on it and since I'm upgrading I figure I'll see what's available. Thanks

calif phil

I have had great luck with the S&S high strength Gates Carbon belts.

PoorUB

The late stock belts are tough. Many guys drag racing  with them. Much stronger than years back.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hbkeith

Ive never had a belt better than a HD belt , late or early, tried aftermarket twice

hogpipes1

H-D  bikes with side car have a  belt that  is stronger than stock.   . 1 1/2" WIDE for the older bikes . i think they started getting skinny in 04.

Hossamania

I think those sidecar belts are obsolete. The sidecar bikes after '04 used the stock belt.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tdrglide

1-1/2" sidecar belts are still out there. I just got one through Big Sky Harley online.

Hossamania

Quote from: tdrglide on February 06, 2019, 08:03:51 PM
1-1/2" sidecar belts are still out there. I just got one through Big Sky Harley online.

Good to know, thanks for that info. I've been running one for ten years or more.

fleetmechanic

The sidecar load belt fits 1997-03.  I think the P/N was 40130-03.

rhuff

Quote from: Hossamania on February 06, 2019, 07:42:45 PM
I think those sidecar belts are obsolete. The sidecar bikes after '04 used the stock belt.

Still available.  I had one put on my 2003 RKC in 2014. 

booker49

2000 road king i have the original belt with 131,000 miles- inspect it every year- looks ok.

Hossamania

They last an amazingly long time. min broke at 50,000 miles. It was not the belt's fault.   :embarrassed:

IronMike113

Improper maintenance, Or Good ole Fashion Horsewhipping on the Throttle/Clutch seems to be major factors in Belts Breaks JMHO,,,,,,,,, :hyst:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Hossamania

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 23, 2019, 06:49:16 AM
Improper maintenance, Or Good ole Fashion Horsewhipping on the Throttle/Clutch seems to be major factors in Belts Breaks JMHO,,,,,,,,, :hyst:

Little bit of both for me, mostly the second part.