March 29, 2024, 12:25:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Frame Vin Sticker

Started by build it, February 07, 2019, 08:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

build it

February 07, 2019, 08:24:07 AM Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:50:00 PM by build it
I'm sending a frame to be powder coated but  the shop told me they couldn't promise me the sticker would be there when they were done. Is there any means to get a new one?
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

hogpipes1

I would use a hair drier  on low heat  and see if it will come off  . Also take a good pic of it  before  just for back up that  it was on the bike.   Good masking tape won't do it any good?

build it

I'm not sure if the tape would do it, this is my first rodeo with a frame up.

Just found the hubs are now obsolete so considering other options.

It'll be fun no matter what so we'll see.

hbkeith

powder coaters have tape to put over it , but he prob means heat from oven will make it loose , every frame up ive done I got rid of those stickers , why you want it ?

build it

Quote from: hbkeith on February 07, 2019, 10:47:44 AM
powder coaters have tape to put over it , but he prob means heat from oven will make it loose , every frame up ive done I got rid of those stickers , why you want it ?

I'm prone to obnoxious and irresponsible behavior and figure I should cover my ass when it comes to the boys in blue.

calif phil

I think most all VIN decals are made to not come off without ruining them.   

Nastytls

When I stripped/painted my frame I just took it off. The VIN is stamped in to the steel.

build it

Quote from: Nastytls on February 07, 2019, 02:44:56 PM
When I stripped/painted my frame I just took it off. The VIN is stamped in to the steel.

How did it turn out? Who did the work?

Deye76

Quote from: build it on February 07, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
I'm sending a frame to be powder coated but  the shop told me they couldn't promise me the sticker would be there when they were done. Is there any means to get a new one?

FXR?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

build it

Deye, no FXR at this point. Just getting my ducks in a row so my FXDX can be finished. No more excuses.

Nastytls

Quote from: build it on February 07, 2019, 03:50:36 PM

I did it myself. It's not powercoat, it's regular paint/clear. I degreased & pressure washed then stripped it down and painted just like you would paint tins. You need to use a smaller gun so there isn't a lot of waisted overspray. It turned out mint and the VIN is still very much legible.

build it

Quote from: Nastytls on February 08, 2019, 06:22:15 AM
Quote from: build it on February 07, 2019, 03:50:36 PM

I did it myself. It's not powercoat, it's regular paint/clear. I degreased & pressure washed then stripped it down and painted just like you would paint tins. You need to use a smaller gun so there isn't a lot of waisted overspray. It turned out mint and the VIN is still very much legible.

I got a powder quote down here in Texas (just moved), 212 bucks and 70 for the swing arm of my choice. He s a nice guy and it's a clean shop, just kind of sticker shocked on the low cost. Bike will be Plum Crazy with a black frame and a small decal on the fender.

The painter is from CT, heavy on pretty ghost flames. I'm not one for flames anymore but I knew someday I'd have some tins painted by him.

Nastytls

$212 does seem awful cheap to PC a frame, not sure how you keep the lights on with prices like that. But if he does good work, that's all that matters.

build it

Quote from: Nastytls on February 08, 2019, 03:12:20 PM
$212 does seem awful cheap to PC a frame, not sure how you keep the lights on with prices like that. But if he does good work, that's all that matters.

My thoughts exactly but he does live in his shop.

Deye76

Quote from: build it on February 07, 2019, 05:36:33 PM
Deye, no FXR at this point. Just getting my ducks in a row so my FXDX can be finished. No more excuses.

:up:
I know the VIN stickers can't be reproduced but the others on the FXR frame have been done.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

build it

motolocopat

What area of Texas, may throw a little business his way
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

DanThe Man

If I may make a suggestion. Before he coats the frame have him tape off the stamped vin. Use a razor blade to cut the tape just slightly larger than the vin so you will end up with a long rectangle shape v.  Then when you get the frame back just paint the vin. Powder tends to fill in the numbers and make it hard to read, sometime obliterating some of the digits. Until I started doing this I taped it myself, after coating, stripped it and then painted it. Just my experience.
I thought I was wrong once but i was mistaken.

build it

Quote from: motolocopat on April 01, 2019, 11:02:13 PM
What area of Texas, may throw a little business his way

The Coating Source in HTown