April 26, 2024, 02:25:36 AM

News:

IPB replacement

Started by 04rkryder, February 09, 2019, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04rkryder

Have to replace a leaking shift shaft seal on 2004 RK with 117k miles. So while the primary is apart thought I'd replace IPB and all seals. Is there a better replacement bearing for the IPB than the stock (9135). Anything else I should do while in there?
THX in advance...

Heinz

Take a close look at your shifter shaft. A few years ago I had a leaky seal and got that replaced and then six months later I ended up removing the primary again to replace a worn shifter shaft that was rattling and tightening the screw didn't help.

smoserx1

IMO that IPB is pretty good.  I did replace mine back in June 2017 and it had around 190K on it.  There was nothing wrong with it.  It was a pretty tight fit in the primary if I recall.  I believe I used my 1.5 inch socket (for the compensator nut) as an arbor for removing/installing.  It was kind of tedious getting the new one in to the exact depth so both snap rings would seat.  Used my shop press to get it close and had to use some light tapping to get in in just right.  I believe the shifter shaft seal I have been using is an SKF 4260.  Cometic makes a good one and I believe even the H-D one is better than it used to be.  Are you planning to replace the 5th gear/mainshaft seal?  If so that IPB race has to come off the mainshaft.  I would advise replacing it with an S&S tapered stop race. If you replace the other 2 seals in the tranny the belt pulley has to come off.  The nut can be very tight (remember it has reverse threads).  I could not get the pulley nut off last time with my breaker bar (even though I was the one who had put it one before), but my 120 volt electric impact wrench did fine.   If you replace the jackshsft seal the new one might be different (has 2 lips).  It can go in backwards and will work but only 1 lip will contact the shaft.  Check the splines of your clutch hub while you have it apart.  Good luck

road-dawgs1

Jims makes a bearing upgrade kit, as does Baker. If you don't have a high torque engine then the stock one should be fine for you.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Justpassingas

besides the shifter arm maybe inspect front pully for wear too???
For Duty and Humanity

Tarkus60

I went with a Baker so I could delete the race. It has about 10k on it. No issues what so ever.
Stock motor with andrews 37g cams.