March 29, 2024, 01:08:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crossover pipe?

Started by Jesse v, February 10, 2019, 12:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse v

I have a Sportster 1200 99 has weisco Dome top 10 over 10 to 1 Andrews N8 cams stage 2 thunderstorm heads Riviera Primo clutch and to my pipes I had drag pipes that came with the bike I cut them off and put Rinehart slip-ons on my question is do you think I would benefit for I'm a cross pipe and if so where would I put it in the stock location or where would the best spot be for performance wise and what size pipe would I use oh and I have a S&S Super E shorty carb

nibroc

would not worry about a crossover pipe

guppymech

The crossover pipe on rigid mount Sportsters was a emission device to help the engine breathe through stock restrictive mufflers.  If you have free flowing mufflers that you can see through I don't think you'd gain much from buying stock headpipes with the crossover.  If you look back through Sportster history you'll see they use two individual pipes.  Lots of good dyno results on Sporty exhaust systems here:
https://www.1250kits.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml
'84 FXE, '02 883R

dirty jim

On the '77-'78 XLCR's the factory dyno tested every engine, picking the high performers for these bikes. The factory also introduced the siamese exhaust system. I think by 1980 (or sooner) they were putting cross over pipes on all bikes. I don't know  the science behind it, but it must work on some level, cause we all know they don't spend money.

Barrett

I know it's a whole different world but the bad boys on the drag strips don't run 2-1's or crossovers..

hbkeith

Quote from: Barrett on February 12, 2019, 07:49:20 AM
I know it's a whole different world but the bad boys on the drag strips don't run 2-1's or crossovers..
No not drag pipes , they make you lose H.P. !!  :potstir:

hogdoctor

The crossover is not an "emissions" device.   Harley R&D found that when mating the pipes on the XLCR (was a cosmetic idea at the time) that it pulled the peak torque down 500 rpm into a more useful range for the average street rider.  If you're willing to sacrifice bottom end torque in favor of more power on the top end, then true duals are for you.   If you enjoy the torque off the line and not really concerned about the top end, then crossover or 2 into 1 is the better choice.