April 19, 2024, 07:32:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

107" kit with cams and 10.25 or add cams & heads to my 103"?

Started by Ketch, January 28, 2019, 04:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketch

I currently have a 2016 RGS with stage 1 (Rinehart Slimline, PM air intake and FP3). I want to go up a bit more in the torque. I typically ride in the 2,500 to 4,500 rpm area. I'm trying to get the most for my limited budget. Thanks.

dsvracer

it is the heads that make the power and it is the cam that dictates where in the rpm range the power will be.  heads and cams should be first in making more power.   jmo

Hillside Motorcycle

Staying at a 103" configuration, combined with the proper cylinder head work/cam combo, can yield very good power indeed. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PoorUB

What is your budget?

Toss in a set of cams wil give you a nice gain. Head work more yet. Once you pull the heads the budget often gets tossed out the window...might as well........
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

koko3052

Unless you have a  :turd: load of miles on it, just cams....if the budget is good then cams & headwork. :up:

harpwrench

Just getting a dyno tune by someone competent and ditching the FP3 would probably help

FXDBI

Ketch

I'd really like to stay at or under $2,500 for the cams, headwork and the complete tune. Is it possible?

BVHOG

Quote from: Ketch on January 29, 2019, 04:49:29 AM
I'd really like to stay at or under $2,500 for the cams, headwork and the complete tune. Is it possible?

Rough estimate at 103
550.00 should get  you PV license and tune
Lets say 650.00 for a set of heads from one of the fine vendors here on the forum
75.00 for gaskets
125.00 S&S standard lifters
30 bucks feuling tensioner refill if necessary
20 bucks inner cam bearings
Cam? 300.00
S&S clutch spring 30 bucks
stock pushrods  0.00
That's 1780.00 and I am sure I forgot a couple things
At say 70 dollars per hour that leaves over ten hours for labor.  I don't see the problem but I would mention that an additional 5 bills for a set of 107 cylinders/pistons will only be that 5 bills and all other things remain the same.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

krwson

Rough estimate at 103
550.00 should get  you PV license and tune
Lets say 650.00 for a set of heads from one of the fine vendors here on the forum
75.00 for gaskets
125.00 S&S standard lifters
30 bucks feuling tensioner refill if necessary
20 bucks inner cam bearings
Cam? 300.00
S&S clutch spring 30 bucks
stock pushrods  0.00
That's 1780.00 and I am sure I forgot a couple things
At say 70 dollars per hour that leaves over ten hours for labor.  I don't see the problem but I would mention that an additional 5 bills for a set of 107 cylinders/pistons will only be that 5 bills and all other things remain the same.
[/quote]

That is solid info right there.

prodrag1320

if you do the work yourself,you can easily do a nice 107 build for 2500.00

Hossamania

Quote from: HD Street Performance on February 03, 2019, 07:38:46 AM
Or a bolt-on 110.

That was my first thought. If going to the trouble of 107, might as well bolt on a 110, it's just as easy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HD/Wrench

110 and done . best bang for the buck no head work needed to make 110/120

sfmichael

I have a 2013 Street Glide 103 with cams, heads, and a tune and it runs very strong - quite a bit better than a 2016 (which actually has a decent cam from the factory)

The 2016's respond quite favorably to just a dyno tune with a good exhaust system. Good dyno operator is essential.

That being said I will be bumping mine to 110" in the near future, I can't leave well enough alone  :doh:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Herko

Quote from: Ketch on January 28, 2019, 04:58:40 AM
...I typically ride in the 2,500 to 4,500 rpm area. I'm trying to get the most for my limited budget...
That would be a Stage II...Cams and a thorough and competent tune.

Cams: Use CR-570-2 or very similar configuration.
Tune: Powervision flashed by a well vetted and part-throttle experienced tuner guy.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Quote from: Herko on February 04, 2019, 01:36:00 PM
Quote from: Ketch on January 28, 2019, 04:58:40 AM
...I typically ride in the 2,500 to 4,500 rpm area. I'm trying to get the most for my limited budget...
That would be a Stage II...Cams and a thorough and competent tune.

Cams: Use CR-570-2 or very similar configuration.
Tune: Powervision flashed by a well vetted and part-throttle experienced tuner guy.

That'd be doable at 103" or at 110" on the OPs stated budget. He could probably even afford a little head work too.

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Ketch

Can I use my stock heads if I go with a 110" and cams? I'll have it tuned.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Ketch on February 10, 2019, 04:47:14 AM
Can I use my stock heads if I go with a 110" and cams? I'll have it tuned.
Yes- lots of budget builds out there with that combo. Make sure you have correct clearance & springs for the cams chosen- if the cam card says "bolt in", you should be golden.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BVHOG

I couldn't imagine pulling the heads and not at the very least doing a valve job and new seals. I'll take a 107 with ported heads any day over a 110 with stock untouched heads.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Tommy D

:up: Bob did a 107 w/heads for me, couldn't be more pleased with overall drive-ability & performance  :up: 

Quote from: BVHOG on February 12, 2019, 06:07:57 AM
I couldn't imagine pulling the heads and not at the very least doing a valve job and new seals. I'll take a 107 with ported heads any day over a 110 with stock untouched heads.
Acts 4:12

Winston Wolf

If a guy stuck with the cr570-2 mentioned, and left it at 103" but ported the heads and bumped the compression to 10.2 ish, I would assume it would be very strong in the low end?  I'm thinking of trying it to squeeze out some more low rpm roll on punch. Not really worried about the peak HP number, but wanting to maximize the 2500-3500 range.

PoorUB

I hate pulling heads just for the clean up and port. If I pull heads I tend to go deeper!

I bet you will be pleasantly surprised with tossing in a set of 570-2 cams, leave the heads on, and a tune. I did it to my 2016 Limited and it is a totally  different  motorcycle.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!