107" kit with cams and 10.25 or add cams & heads to my 103"?

Started by Ketch, January 28, 2019, 04:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I agree, if pulling the heads, talk with the your porter to determine a good plan of action, what you want out of it, and let him suggest the cam to match his work. If doing headwork, you may want to step up to the CR575 instead of the 570, to take advantage of the work.
Otherwise, skip the headwork, and use the 570-2 and a good tune, as PoorUB says.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Barrett

As mentioned already. Cams for the R's you want and a good tune.
I pulled my heads just for the .030HG to get my compression right for the 37's I had.
After I saw what they looked like there was no way they were going back on looking like they did.
Later on I decided to go a little bigger. After checking the crank runout that turned into a whole new engine.
How big of a can of worms do you want to open?

Winston Wolf

I already have the 570-2 and it's been tuned competently.  It is fine when solo, and it does walk my friends identical set up with stock cams; but 2 up and loaded with gear, it could use more grunt.  This is my touring/cross country machine, so I don't run the piss out of it (RPM wise).  I had that CR575 cam in a "perfect street" 95" build that Wes supplied me with (his heads, pistons, etc), and I was never really that impressed with it.  It always kicked back when hot (burned up 3 starters), and didn't put out any stellar numbers (around 100/100).  I like to roll on the throttle in 5th and 6th, so I was hoping doing the heads and bumping the compression a little would do the trick without changing pistons; bike only has 25k on it.  The money isn't the issue, I can afford really anything I want to do, but I don't want to do more work than I need to or waste time for not much of a gain.

boooby1744

Quote from: Winston Wolf on July 25, 2019, 04:13:50 PM
I already have the 570-2 and it's been tuned competently.  It is fine when solo, and it does walk my friends identical set up with stock cams; but 2 up and loaded with gear, it could use more grunt.  This is my touring/cross country machine, so I don't run the piss out of it (RPM wise).  I had that CR575 cam in a "perfect street" 95" build that Wes supplied me with (his heads, pistons, etc), and I was never really that impressed with it.  It always kicked back when hot (burned up 3 starters), and didn't put out any stellar numbers (around 100/100).  I like to roll on the throttle in 5th and 6th, so I was hoping doing the heads and bumping the compression a little would do the trick without changing pistons; bike only has 25k on it.  The money isn't the issue, I can afford really anything I want to do, but I don't want to do more work than I need to or waste time for not much of a gain.
Baker DD7 or a 31 tooth pulley

sfmichael

Quote from: Winston Wolf on July 25, 2019, 04:13:50 PM

110" drop on kit with more cam and better heads
Colorado Springs, CO.

genzer

Mine is a 16 RGS 103 cr 575 cams headwork by wof Larry runs real strong but still have to shift in the hills w/ 2 up, next up is larger throttle body, 2 into 1 and larger displacement. It never ends.

Tail Ridr

110" drop on kit with more cam and better heads
[/quote]

This is an avenue I was considering, but my INDY still sees them as JUNK and won't do them. I know I can go elsewhere, but I like to stay local when I can...its just giving me 2nd thoughts
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

guesscrazy

I just got mine back from the dyno. 97hp and 117 tq. cr570-2 cams , power duals and se air cleaner. Hits 100 pounds of torque at 2300 rpm. This is without opening  the top end. Simple and works for 2 up touring.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

r0de_runr

Quote from: Ketch on January 28, 2019, 04:58:40 AM
I currently have a 2016 RGS with stage 1 (Rinehart Slimline, PM air intake and FP3). I want to go up a bit more in the torque. I typically ride in the 2,500 to 4,500 rpm area. I'm trying to get the most for my limited budget. Thanks.

I'll throw cold water on you....lol.  Is this your first Harley?  They are so easy and respond so well to modifications it is hard to resist.

Starting in 2007 with my first Ultra I threw $$$ at every HD I've owned in search of satisfaction when I twist the grip.  Every increase in HP or TQ comes with a problem somewhere else.  More noise, or a weak part that needs to be upgraded, or much faster tire wear (lol).

Want more? Make that 110 into a 113...
Make the 103 into a 107.
Heads
CAMS
Tuners and Tunes and more tuners and more tunes.
Pipes and headers and intakes and injectors and TB's and . . .

In a way it is fun to do all this.  But like most drugs, the high doesn't last, and there is always a desire for more, and there are drawbacks, disadvantages and worries.

So I'm happy with my stock 103 with Stage 1 F&H Propipe, a generic hi flow A/C with K&N element, and a FP3 that I autotuned.

I have no pushrod or lifter noise, so slipping clutch, no oil drain out of my a/c, plenty of power and a great sound.  Engine is very smooth and I don't worry about something coming loose (except the stock lifters of course - I have the ESP).

That $2500 will but a lot of gas, and will not add any value when it comes time to sell or trade, and may in fact reduce your value.

I know I'm a sourpuss, but after all I've thrown at the HD habbit, my quest for power was solved with an old BMW.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

JT Metal

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on January 28, 2019, 06:45:09 AM
Staying at a 103" configuration, combined with the proper cylinder head work/cam combo, can yield very good power indeed. :up:
What is "very good power?" Just wanted that term clarified.

Hossamania

Quote from: genzer on July 27, 2019, 04:19:29 AM
Mine is a 16 RGS 103 cr 575 cams headwork by wof Larry runs real strong but still have to shift in the hills w/ 2 up, next up is larger throttle body, 2 into 1 and larger displacement. It never ends.

You should shift when two up going uphill unless your running 80 mph or more. Even then, it may be necessary.
Your car with an automatic transmission does.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

Quote from: Hossamania on July 27, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: genzer on July 27, 2019, 04:19:29 AM

You should shift when two up going uphill unless your running 80 mph or more. Even then, it may be necessary.
Your car with an automatic transmission does.

thank you  :idea:

all would do well to heed this   :smiled:
Colorado Springs, CO.