March 29, 2024, 07:24:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator Confusion

Started by Nooter99, May 30, 2019, 10:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Quote from: 14Frisco on June 20, 2019, 09:12:49 AM
Quote from: Leed on June 20, 2019, 06:53:11 AM
According to the installation instructions the rotor and stator are "additional parts" and not included.

Read it again.

"Included in 40100061."

What he said!

The instructions in the above link cover three part numbers. It clearly states the rotor is included in 40100061. none of them include the stator.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

HD never had compensator troubles until they changed the primary ratio with the six speed. There was some mi or issues before that, but not worth mentioning.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mike jesse

I've got my old 2010 RG here at the house with the dreaded comp. knock.

I upgraded the complete compensator about 4 years ago with the SE kit #40100061 and glued the included tray in place.

My question is Harley also sells a kit without the rotor which is kit #42200064a.

Looks to me liked it's the same kit without the upgraded rotor.

What says the forum?

kd

Quote from: mike jesse on July 01, 2019, 09:20:01 PM

I upgraded the complete compensator about 4 years ago with the SE kit #40100061 and glued the included tray in place.

My question is Harley also sells a kit without the rotor which is kit #42200064a.

What says the forum?

Measure the stack height first.  You may be able to cure it with the shims for that version comp. 

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659
KD

FSG

Quote from: mike jesse on July 01, 2019, 09:20:01 PM

What says the forum?

:up:  nailed it

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217573

89 fxrs

just wondering if the oil diverter is needed if the newer primary cover is used? I was told that the 2016 primary cover comes with a diverter made inside from the factory - would that take the place of the glue in one?

according to the H-D site it says that 4010061 fits '07-'10 Touring and '07-'09 CVO what would be the part number for a 2013 Road Glide?

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 02, 2019, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: 89 fxrs on June 02, 2019, 10:29:36 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on May 31, 2019, 04:58:01 AM
I've had the least issues with the latest SE comp with the glue in oil diverter. 
If you get the kit from HD (40100061) it comes with a new rotor & all the comp pieces you need except for gaskets and glue.  The 2008 and later (-06B) adjuster hasn't really been an issue for most. Stock primary chain should last for decades as long as the lube is adequate.

just wondering if the oil diverter is needed if the newer primary cover is used? I was told that the 2016 primary cover comes with a diverter made inside from the factory - would that take the place of the glue in one?

Yes

would the part number for the late model primary cover with the diverter made inside be 25700385?
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

mike jesse

Update on the Comp. knock.

The Comp. is perfect, looks as new. The Compensaver is doing it's job.

Spectro primary oil.

The stock auto chain adjuster not so much.

No Cents

Mike...that is a good set up your running in your primary.  :up:  I haven't had the need to pull my primary cover off for a couple of years now.
  I've been running the original CompensaVer with the Spectro 85W lubing the Bandit clutch and the comp. I did weld my factory chain tensioner wedge in place with 5/8" cold chain deflection set. I'm running a 32 tooth Game Changer too. I'm tickled pink with my primary. 
  As it stands right now I do plan on pulling the primary cover off at the end of the riding season and inspecting everything real good. I better knock on wood after saying that...but I haven't had to do anything to my bike except for doing the routine oil changes. 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

mike jesse

Quote from: No Cents on July 13, 2019, 09:14:19 AM
  Mike...that is a good set up your running in your primary.  :up:  I haven't had the need to pull my primary cover off for a couple of years now.
  I've been running the original CompensaVer with the Spectro 85W lubing the Bandit clutch and the comp. I did weld my factory chain tensioner wedge in place with 5/8" cold chain deflection set. I'm running a 32 tooth Game Changer too. I'm tickled pink with my primary. 
  As it stands right now I do plan on pulling the primary cover off at the end of the riding season and inspecting everything real good. I better knock on wood after saying that...but I haven't had to do anything to my bike except for doing the routine oil changes.

This one has the first Gen. SE comp., Bandit Sportsman, and a stock tensioner.
I bumped the tensioner up 1 notch by hand, it was a tad loose.
Spectro as well. Seems to work well at 24 oz.
Not much of anything on the Compensaver magnet.

Be prepared to dig deep for that new outer primary gasket if you spring for the Harley piece. It is a MLS type now, a good thing.

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on July 13, 2019, 09:14:19 AM
Ray I got my apart waiting on the parts to arrive now . How may fluid oz do you recommend after your removed the primary for inspection my tensioner was pretty snug so I think the welding is a good idea thanks

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Harley-Davidson offers two different Kits.

Whether the Rotor is included depends on if your Model has the Original Spring Pack attached to the Original Rotor. In which case, you will get a new Rotor with no Spring Pack Attacked The Concave Disks serve as the Spring Pack.

The easy way to tell is, if it cost $409 you need the Rotor - The less expensive does not have nor require the Rotor.

For instance; Kit 40100061 (Does not have a Rotor Included - primarilly 11 and earlier - but not ALL) Fits '06-'11 Dyna®, '07-'11 Softail® (except FXCW and FXCWC), '07-'10 Touring and '07-'09 CVO™ (except '09 FXSTSSE) models. Does not fit Trike. Requires separate purchase of Installation Adhesive Kit P/N 11100088. Kit includes Rotor Assembly P/N 30041-08. Installation on '06 Dyna® models require separate purchase of '07-style stator.

Tom