April 24, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

News:

Vulcan Comp Eliminator

Started by NHBagger, July 11, 2019, 09:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHBagger

Thinking of putting a Vulcan Comp Eliminator on my 2014 Tri Glide.  Looking for feedback from anyone that has used one on a 2 wheeler to determine if it's a viable option for the trike.  Pros and cons would help.

IronButt70

If you search the site there are several threads that will answer all you questions.

IE https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108921.msg1297498#msg1297498
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

NHBagger

Yes, i have read a lot of them.  I was hoping to maybe get some feedback from those running them as to whether they thought running them on a trike with the added weight and gearing was feasible.

Nastytls

How would someone that does not ride a trike know how a trike would react to something? :nix: :scratch: I run one in a Dyna, but have zero idea how your trike would respond.

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on July 11, 2019, 02:13:00 PM
How would someone that does not ride a trike know how a trike would react to something? :nix: :scratch: I run one in a Dyna, but have zero idea how your trike would respond.
Let's just say we used a trike to test all of the compensaver items for oiling and Peek thrust washer. It really gives the comp a workout compared to a light bike both in launching and steady cruising. Way faster results in testing then my softail was showing. I couldn't imagine the drive train shock of taking off with a trike, pulling a trailer on a slight grade using a solid sprocket. Not to mention the heavy pulsing in strong headwinds or long hills .
Ron

kd

There you go. Real life testing results.
KD

rbabos

Quote from: kd on July 12, 2019, 07:18:38 AM
There you go. Real life testing results.
Only pointing out the more the pulse load at the engine, the cushion effect in the drive is noticeable. That being the compensator in this case. Takes more power to get and keep a trike moving, compared to say a light weight Dyna where the effects of removing the comp would be less dramatic especially if the rpms are kept up.
Ron

mike jesse

A shameless plug for the Compensaver here.

I installed one along with a new SE Compensator about 4 yrs. ago on my RG.

Engine is a 124.

Yesterday I took the primary cover off for inspection and  the comp. ramps look brand new. Not a wear mark on them.

Using Spectro primary oil.

NHBagger

No Compensaver, but I have the SE Comp with the tray.  Rattles like a can of ball bearings even at speed.  Before that ran a Baker Comp and it galled.  running out of options.

Hossamania

Quote from: NHBAGGER on July 15, 2019, 06:24:38 AM
No Compensaver, but I have the SE Comp with the tray.  Rattles like a can of ball bearings even at speed.  Before that ran a Baker Comp and it galled.  running out of options.

Might want to try the Compensaver.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on July 15, 2019, 10:26:32 AM

I think Steve said he was no longer marketing them.

NHBagger

Pretty sure that's true.  I think the Harley tray idea was basically "borrowed from Steve.
Comps got about 5K on it, wondering if maybe having it re-shimmed might help?

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on July 15, 2019, 10:36:31 AM

Thanks for that info.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Coyote on July 15, 2019, 10:36:31 AM

Correct.
Ron

Durwood

I have a customer with a 2012, 120" Tri Glide that's running a 34T (stock tooth count) solid comp sprocket without any issues.

He rides 2 up and pulls a trailer 99% of the time.

He got tired of putting comps in it.

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on July 16, 2019, 04:31:01 AM
I have a customer with a 2012, 120" Tri Glide that's running a 34T (stock tooth count) solid comp sprocket without any issues.

I'm surprised he's not having other issues down stream, like the clutch hub and gear box with all the extra shock it sees. Some are just plain lucky, I guess.
Ron

Durwood

Quote from: rbabos on July 16, 2019, 04:51:44 AM
Quote from: Durwood on July 16, 2019, 04:31:01 AM

I'm surprised he's not having other issues down stream, like the clutch hub and gear box with all the extra shock it sees. Some are just plain lucky, I guess.
Ron
It is what it is. He rides that trike all over the country.

turboprop

Thats the thing. Way too much speculation here (and most other threads) and not enough responses from riders with first hand experience. Lets not forget the all too common reply; 'Well you asked about A, and I really dont know, but I have B and that's what you should get. It's the best'.

I have over 20k combined using a solid front sprocket on TC engines. Admittedly, my bikes are very lightweight, and are pushing greater than 150h. No issues. Last time I checked runout on the red bike it had less than 4 tenths at the pinion shaft.

My speculation would be a trike that is ridden like a normal person (vs the maniac that beats on my FXRs) will not have any issues with a solid engine sprocket. But what do I know. So far, the only relevant post in this entire thread indicates that a solid sprocket is working just fine in a trike that is ridden all over the country.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1workinman

Quote from: turboprop on July 16, 2019, 10:59:36 AM
Thats the thing. Way too much speculation here (and most other threads) and not enough responses from riders with first hand experience. Lets not forget the all too common reply; 'Well you asked about A, and I really dont know, but I have B and that's what you should get. It's the best'.

I have over 20k combined using a solid front sprocket on TC engines. Admittedly, my bikes are very lightweight, and are pushing greater than 150h. No issues. Last time I checked runout on the red bike it had less than 4 tenths at the pinion shaft.

My speculation would be a trike that is ridden like a normal person (vs the maniac that beats on my FXRs) will not have any issues with a solid engine sprocket. But what do I know. So far, the only relevant post in this entire thread indicates that a solid sprocket is working just fine in a trike that is ridden all over the country.
Well I also tired of buying them , might have to give them a try some time

turboprop

To be clear, I am not advocating for or against the fixed sprocket for the OP. Just really down on all the advise given by people that have no experience with the this type of sprocket. In my application, it works well. But a heavy ass bagger or trike is totally different.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1workinman

Well I not a kid and I try things and if it works great and if it does not ok . No body to blame just learn and move on. If it seems to work on a trike pulling a trailer then the probability of working on a heavy bagger seems positive to me .  I don't lug a bike or short shift either . Both of my motors are pretty fresh so I probably want do any thing yet just some thing to remember if I need some back up plan . I always try to have a couple just incase

BVHOG

Had two customers in with solid front sprockets, one with a broken clutch basket, the other with his second broken clutch basket. That said it all for me.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

1workinman

Quote from: BVHOG on July 19, 2019, 06:36:28 AM
Had two customers in with solid front sprockets, one with a broken clutch basket, the other with his second broken clutch basket. That said it all for me.
thats not good , the basket is a stock harley unit ..  well i going to see how my compensator last as mine are both pretty new units and dead quiet,  ..both bikes will have billet baskets

jmorton10

All that says is the stock basket is a POS..

I have the Vulcan Eliminator in my 124" RK that I beat the crap out of & have had zero problems.  I also installed a trask forged basket & Baker armored Attitude adjuster when I installed the sprocket.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

1workinman

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 19, 2019, 11:36:17 AM

All that says is the stock basket is a POS.. 
~John
Yea and I got a new basket installed in my Road Glide and a new one sitting in a box . Both billet baskets . I beginning to think there Is a few things that I recommend for bikes that have a 124 or larger motor, or at least I think so  , Billet basket , chain drive , and replacing the snail adjusters . Better sprag for the starter , Bandit or a good lock up clutch .  Yea just things to spend money on lol

Barrett

I never had a problem with my stock 08 comp. (yet) I'm almost expecting it to explode when my 117" fires up.
When/if it fails I'll probably go solid. I do have a new Bandit clutch and Barnett basket already.

1workinman

Watched a u tube video that talked about crank run out and the compensator I think and for me a crank with minimum run out is the best solution .

Barrett

My crank is S&S so I'm good there. I don't lug and my bike is a Dyna with lower gearing.
For now I'll roll with the stock comp. and just see what happens first..
I can't see replacing it with another if it can't handle the task at hand.