March 28, 2024, 01:53:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter of the Month

Started by hollywood63, July 13, 2019, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywood63

I'm sure this has been hashed over a gazillion times  :horse: but I haven't been on the site for a while.  So anyway I'm running the gatorman 1023 lifter and have been hearing horror story about them having roller failures.  So I was thinking of pulling it down to check them and possibly replace well I'm there.  So whats the latest reliable lifter currently out?

Thanks

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

mike jesse

Chippitt68

Whatever lifter you decide on, inspect it very carefully before it goes in.

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

klammer76

prodrag1320

digga25

genzer

Chippitt68

Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 13, 2019, 03:04:10 PM
Whatever lifter you decide on, inspect it very carefully before it goes in.

Chippitt68

pwmorris

hattitude

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 13, 2019, 10:21:04 AM
I run the Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFOLarry  :up:

http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

I've used S&S premium lifters and then switched to the Johnson Hy-lifts from WFOLarry...

The Johnson Hy-Lifts, in my opinion, are as good as the S&S Premiums for less money....

1workinman

I been running SS lifters and not had any problems not even lifter peck , tap or what ever. Dead quiet .  I not sure if the oil matters but I use the 10-60 moly . I would not have any problems with the lifters that Larry sells either,  to be honest I don't have any problem paying a few dollars for good parts or labor either . If there is a benefit to buying premium lifters I ok with that . Setting them off the bottom may be a way to help hot starts , that and the low bleed off lifters 

turboprop

Whatever you have, that's the best. Might as well be an oil thread. No real tech, just more hyperbole. Be careful of going with the heard. At one time the Gatermans were the lifter. The entire Cheers crowd jumped on. 'Best Ever!' was proclaimed by all.

I have run all of the top branded lifters (Jims Bushing type, S&S Prem, Woods Directional, Several types from Larry, etc) aside from price differences, I cannot tell any differences in performance or longevity. My TC124s all have cams with >.650" lift, spend a lot of time above 5,500 rpm and see >6,500 regular. I pulled a set of the bushing type from Jims out at 25k miles as per an agreement with Jim. They looked almost new and ran silent. Those lifters were replaced by a set from Larry, the latest ones he sells, with the limiters. No change in perceived noise or measured performance. Much lower cost. If that dude in Florida that is putting his name on cams was rebranding lifters, those would no doubt be the lifter of the month.

FYI - Currently planning the yet to be named, 'Engine-After-Tomorrow'.  Going to have 4-⅜" bore with a short stroke, maybe 4", possibly four cams and most likely a full complement of Jessel valve train, to include solid lifters. Will be going into an OEM frame with a raised backbone. 

OP - Everything currently available from Larry will be a bazillion times more reliable than what you have now. Save the S&S markup for something you need/want.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

who is the dude in Florida putting his name on cams?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

PoorUB

I have not bought lifters from Larry, but over the years they continue to get good reviews, $&$ also continues to get good reviews. I would not buy lifters from some joker selling the latest and greatest. Buy some brand that is common and been around for a while.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1workinman

Quote from: turboprop on July 14, 2019, 01:54:19 PM
Whatever you have, that's the best. Might as well be an oil thread. No real tech, just more hyperbole. Be careful of going with the heard. At one time the Gatermans were the lifter. The entire Cheers crowd jumped on. 'Best Ever!' was proclaimed by all.

I have run all of the top branded lifters (Jims Bushing type, S&S Prem, Woods Directional, Several types from Larry, etc) aside from price differences, I cannot tell any differences in performance or longevity. My TC124s all have cams with >.650" lift, spend a lot of time above 5,500 rpm and see >6,500 regular. I pulled a set of the bushing type from Jims out at 25k miles as per an agreement with Jim. They looked almost new and ran silent. Those lifters were replaced by a set from Larry, the latest ones he sells, with the limiters. No change in perceived noise or measured performance. Much lower cost. If that dude in Florida that is putting his name on cams was rebranding lifters, those would no doubt be the lifter of the month.

FYI - Currently planning the yet to be named, 'Engine-After-Tomorrow'.  Going to have 4-⅜" bore with a short stroke, maybe 4", possibly four cams and most likely a full complement of Jessel valve train, to include solid lifters. Will be going into an OEM frame with a raised backbone. 

OP - Everything currently available from Larry will be a bazillion times more reliable than what you have now. Save the S&S markup for something you need/want.
I appreciate the advice as I also believe Larry products are top shelf and I don't think he would sell it if it was not . It be nice to see the kind of build you described . Look forward to it

turboprop

Quote from: 1workinman on July 14, 2019, 04:21:34 PM

I appreciate the advice as I also believe Larry products are top shelf and I don't think he would sell it if it was not . It be nice to see the kind of build you described . Look forward to it

Going to be a few years. Always thinking towards the future.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1workinman

Well I the last person to give advice on saving money but lifters to me are just a maintenance item I just don't know where that time is yet . I was chatting with a sale guy that I know at the Harley dealer and he had a lifter to come apart in his bike and they replaced the cam lifters and flushed out the motor ect ect . I did not tell him how that would not work for me sometimes I just keep those things to my self . I don't have a dog in the fight here . Cheap lifters or not so cheap Harley lifters are not on my shopping cart.  Running till failure is not a great way either .  At work management was extending maintenance on a FD fan and it finally came apart and it was not pretty .  The mechanic that came out to help , said well its easier to carry the blades now there a lot smaller  . Run till failure lol . I going to try to not go that route lol

98fxstc

:up:

BVHOG

This entire lifter thing is mind boggling. I was using the black lifters out of Canada and they were great, that is till I got a batch of them that the bottoms were belled on. I have dozens of Comp cams V-thunder lifters out with zero issues.  Never had an issue with the S&S either. Used over 50 sets of the Johnson hylift and then had a couple that would collapse. Was it the lifter? Maybe, maybe contamination. I run them in my personal bike without issues. Forget the Woods stuff, unless you want to pay an extra 150 for the woods logo you can get the same thing from Larry. 
Now for the Gaterman lifter. @%&!%#&%#@ junk!!!!  Seen several roller failures and I would get those out of my bike and run a stock harley before I would ride across the street on a set of those.
The bottom line is there are many viable options but like I said earlier, never a failure with the S&S standards or premiums and I would guess I have around 70 sets out there right now.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Scotty

If you are doing the work yourself to change out the lifters and associated maintenance then go with whatever lifter takes your fancy.
However I tell people with labor rates now getting up to and around $120 and hour at some places and they want 2 hours labor for the job best of buying something like the S&S premium as you won't want to be paying our for lifter changes to often.
Now I know it's not a hard job and a lot of guys on here know it's not a hard job, but to some people changing out mirrors on the bike is hard  :hyst:

wfolarry

Buy a set of lifters Made in the USA & you'll be better off no matter what brand you decide on.

rhuff

I had a gatorman 1023 go south in my build at 1yr/12,000 miles in 2014.  The builder and I had a difference of opinion as to why, but the bottom line was that 1023 was chit. 

Hillside Motorcycle

We LOCKED onto S&S valve-train products years ago.
Not going to fix, what isn't broke.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

98fxstc

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 16, 2019, 02:39:44 AM
We LOCKED onto S&S valve-train products years ago.
Not going to fix, what isn't broke.

this one broke

[attach=0]

lickidysplit

Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 14, 2019, 11:03:26 AM
Or This
Daaaaumn , Which foreign country did those float in from? Them there lifters is just plum ugly!!!