April 24, 2024, 12:29:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

scary noises

Started by greenshovel0014, July 14, 2019, 04:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenshovel0014

while idling my new to me 2017 dyna low 1900 mi is making clunking noises from the primary every 8 seconds or so. Its unnerving.....my friend who has a 2014 dyna low and a 2018 road glide said he heard the same thing. he said he put a m-8 primary chin tensioner in both and it cured it. he brought his bike(s) to a dealer and they said it was fine. I appreciate his help but he is a head case... any thoughts ? I changed the chain case oil to mobil 1 20/50 today .. still does it. btw they said his bike was fine stock chain case.

kd

July 14, 2019, 04:51:23 PM #1 Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:08:10 PM by kd
Sounds like compensator knock.  What's your idle like.  Slow or a lope will cause even a good comp to knock like that.
KD

doctorevil

In thirty minutes you can pull the shifter drain the primary pull the cover and check chain and comp . chain tensioners fail. rotating chain can produce harmonics that slap the chain against the primary cover at different intervals. no noise when chain is under load. IT is the place to start.

koko3052

Also don't be using engine oil in the primary, the clutch doesn't like it.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: koko3052 on July 15, 2019, 08:09:14 AM

That is way too general of a statement...there are thousands of HD`s running motor oil in the primary without any issues.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

doctorevil

I use delo or rotella 15-40 diesel oil for HD clutch packs.Barnett, primo, alto clutch packs usually use belray or spectro primary fluid.

Moparnut72

Quote from: koko3052 on July 15, 2019, 08:09:14 AM

I don't do it but Harley recommends Syn3 in all three holes. Doesn't make any sense to me. Three different applications and needs.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

greenshovel0014

Quote from: doctorevil on July 15, 2019, 09:40:34 AM
I use delo or rotella 15-40 diesel oil for HD clutch packs.Barnett, primo, alto clutch packs usually use belray or spectro primary fluid.
I will switch to bel -ray I have used it for 30 years on my birt bikes, excellent  oils. I put the mobil 1 in just because it was handy and wanted to dump the unknown primary oil out.

BVHOG

Quote from: greenshovel0014 on July 17, 2019, 07:16:14 AM
Quote from: doctorevil on July 15, 2019, 09:40:34 AM
I will switch to bel -ray I have used it for 30 years on my birt bikes, excellent  oils. I put the mobil 1 in just because it was handy and wanted to dump the unknown primary oil out.
I use the Belray as the go to oil in my shop and buy it in 5 gal buckets, however I use Motul on bikes with Barnett clutch packs as the Barnett doesn't seem very smooth with the Belray
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Hossamania

Automatic transmission oil for Pro Clutches.
Unfortunately, modern comps don't care for it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

doctorevil

Thanks for the tip. 2 dynas getting barnetts soon .i will try the motul

greenshovel0014

in a hold pattern now pulled my stock exhaust and went to install my super trapp 2-1 aaand they did not put the muffler support bracket in the box ....a 730$ box ...pretty much not happy.

greenshovel0014

i got a pint of bel- ray chain case oil btw. and bel- ray 20/50 mineral oil in regards to my valve noise post.