April 24, 2024, 07:16:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top end noise again

Started by Thomsen, July 19, 2019, 04:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomsen

Been running redline oil in all holes on my 2014 dyna street bob from new and was happy about it, but recently the top end noise has just gone up, and its a kind of ticking noise,  most mecs i have talked to says its normal for twincam motors to talk a bit more when runnig full synth oil, but i compaired to my buddys 2015 model and its way way more quit mileage is about the same 24000km and he is running redline as well, what could be my issue here, fells like motor is kind of periodically braking wery little when i go constant low speed, and my top speed has dropped from 225 to max 180 kmh ???
If you don´t like bacon, we have a problem...

Hossamania

The lifters could be suspect.
Rocker Lockers will probably help some of the ticking.
Check for sumping.
Do a compression and leakdown test to help determine the health of the motor.
Air cleaner is fresh?
What has been done to the motor, air cleaner, exhaust, tuner?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Thomsen

The motor has a stage one done with high flow airfilter racetuner se pro and s&s slipons it was dynotuned at the harley dealership, aircleaner was cleaned 2000 km ago, and for sumping, i dont know what that means??

Rockout Rocker Products

Sounds like classic rocker shaft tapping. Click on the blue link below & have a look around my website..... thousands cured worldwide  :beer: :beer:

Also, try dumping the Redline & go to Spectro 25-60 NON SYN oil... you will be surprised  :up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

Quote from: Thomsen on July 19, 2019, 05:44:29 AM
The motor has a stage one done with high flow airfilter racetuner se pro and s&s slipons it was dynotuned at the harley dealership, aircleaner was cleaned 2000 km ago, and for sumping, i dont know what that means??

Do a search on this site for sumping, it is a condition where the oil is not scavenged properly from the motor, it builds up in the crankcase, robs power and builds heat.

doctorevil

Ticking and power loss sounds like a collapsed lifter to me.

Thomsen

And what can be done if its a lifter, can it be repaird or do it have to be changed??

chaos901

The Rockouts could go a long way to solve the noise issue, they are easy and not expensive.  But first I would determine if a lifter is collapsed.  One way to try to determine if a lifter is collapsed is to get the piston to TDC on the compression stroke and then check if you have slack in one of the pushrods.  Should be able to spin the pushrod but it should not go up and down.  If you do the lifters will need to be changed.  Better way is to take apart and measure.  A collapsed lifter will allow the pushrod to rattle around and could be the source of your noise.   

Sumping could certainly be causing the power lose, but this would be separate from the noise you are describing.  IMO
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

doctorevil

If you are going to pull the rockers to install the rockouts you are halfway there to change the lifters.good piece of mind.

Hossamania

Quote from: Thomsen on July 19, 2019, 06:30:19 AM
And what can be done if its a lifter, can it be repaird or do it have to be changed??

Stock lifters are considered a maintenance item by many here, and suggest changing them at about 25k miles. Many good choice out there, a search here will turn up dozens of threads on them.
In general they cannot be repaired, but must be replaced.

FXDBI

Quote from: doctorevil on July 19, 2019, 08:12:01 AM
If you are going to pull the rockers to install the rockouts you are halfway there to change the lifters.good piece of mind.

Just the pushrod tubes and lifter blocks to get to the lifters from there.  Bob

smoserx1

225 KMH is about 140 mph.  180 kmh is about 112 mph.  The second figure on a Harley is believable to me, the first, I don't know, but anyway that would represent a HUGE power reduction indicating a serious problem.  Anyway I am on my 4th set of lifters, and these are the older Harley "b" lifters which are supposedly better that the current versions.  Every single set I have had gets noisy(er) with mileage accumulation, and this is especially evident in the first few miles of operation before the engine gets good and hot.  So, I would suggest you replace them, it is not a very big job especially if you have adjustable pushrods.

Thomsen

The 225 kmh was messured with gps when bike was new.... at the time it had 2-1 exhaust and stage 1 it was dyno tuned to max power....

04rkryder

"Stock lifters are considered a maintenance item by many here, and suggest changing them at about 25k miles"
Must be some crappy lifters they are installing. My 04 RK with 117k on the clock still has the original lifters. They may be a little louder then when they were new but it's an air cooler, push rods driven v-twin, it's suppose to make some noise. Now I may well be pushing my luck, but some people over maintain there scooters.

PoorUB

Quote from: 04rkryder on July 21, 2019, 06:58:41 AM
"Stock lifters are considered a maintenance item by many here, and suggest changing them at about 25k miles"
Must be some crappy lifters they are installing. My 04 RK with 117k on the clock still has the original lifters. They may be a little louder then when they were new but it's an air cooler, push rods driven v-twin, it's suppose to make some noise. Now I may well be pushing my luck, but some people over maintain there scooters.

Back in the day when HD had good lifters!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04rkryder

"Back in the day when HD had good lifters!"

I have a set of B lifters dated 02/10 I'll use when I decide to change them. Hope these are as good as the current ones.

Ericson38

I have the rocker lockers and SE cam plate and SE 255, oil pump, new cam bearings and adj pushrods on a 45K mile 103 road king police (2011). New SE lifters installed at the same time (42K miles).

Plan to go to

http://www.parts4powertoys.com/en/products/details/8--34

These are the Johnson HyLift models.

Instructions at

https://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/79-amsmoto/81-ams-lifter-install

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Ericson38 on July 23, 2019, 03:25:33 PM
I have the rocker lockers and SE cam plate and SE 255, oil pump, new cam bearings and adj pushrods on a 45K mile 103 road king police (2011). New SE lifters installed at the same time (42K miles).

Plan to go to

http://www.parts4powertoys.com/en/products/details/8--34

These are the Johnson HyLift models.

Instructions at

https://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/79-amsmoto/81-ams-lifter-install
WFOLarry is a member here & Hy-Lift dealer.... he'll take good care of you! http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on July 19, 2019, 09:30:50 AM
Quote from: Thomsen on July 19, 2019, 06:30:19 AM

Stock lifters are considered a maintenance item by many here, and suggest changing them at aout 25k miles. Many good choice out there, a search here will turn up dozens of threads on them.
In general they cannot be repaired, but must be replaced.
I was thinking that was a good number also . A full set of lifters is pretty cheap compared to a  lifter wheel  comes apart and sends that crap though the motor