April 18, 2024, 07:16:22 PM

News:

2012 103 clutch slippage

Started by JT Metal, July 19, 2019, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT Metal

Only in the top of first does this happen. Under hard Accel. Would an s.e. diaphragm solve this problem? 101/112 hp/tq. 25k redline shockproof
Let me know your thoughts.......

tdrglide

Depends, where did you put the shockproof?

doctorevil

25 k on 100+ motor you got your moneys worth. Now you got the excuse to install a primo or barnett and you wont be sorry.I also hope you dont have shockproof in that primary or why would you mention that?

JT Metal

Hahaha.......sorry. redline transfluid. I had shockproof on my mind.

doctorevil

And the correlation of the trans fluid-clutch slippage ?

JT Metal

Just stating. Maybe someone has had issues and would redirect me based on bad experiences

FXDBI

SE spring will make a difference I did the spring and a SE clutch pack and haven't had any problems .  Bob

boggart

Alto Carbonite +1 clutch discs resolved that issue for me.

jmorton10

Bandit Sportsman, last clutch you'll ever have to buy.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

les

Quote from: FXDBI on July 19, 2019, 11:01:41 AM
SE spring will make a difference I did the spring and a SE clutch pack and haven't had any problems .  Bob

On top of that I added the SE VPC on my 124" (148 ft/lbs of torque) and I don't slip.

JT Metal

Quote from: boggart on July 19, 2019, 11:21:29 AM
Alto Carbonite +1 clutch discs resolved that issue for me.
I see two different part #'s. Can you confirm.....

095750BC & 095750NC

doctorevil

alto clutch sets in my shop 95750NC

JT Metal

Quote from: doctorevil on July 19, 2019, 02:26:08 PM
alto clutch sets in my shop 95750NC

Thank you Doc. I am 20 miles from J&P cycles in Ormand beach, fl. Going to try and resolve this tomorrow. Not a lot of info on Alto. If there's an issue, They will sell me something else. Lol. I know.....it sounds bad.
Thank you Doc.

doctorevil

They should have them in stock,if not get the barnett.Dont let them tell you to save a few bucks and sell you v twin twin power clutch sets.

I ran the pink dot diaphragm spring on a 96" with cams 97/106. $30, easy clutch pull and never slipped.

JT Metal

:nix:
Quote from: doctorevil on July 19, 2019, 03:17:45 PM
They should have them in stock,if not get the barnett.Dont let them tell you to save a few bucks and sell you v twin twin power clutch sets.
Hahaha. That's funny you say that. I had my eyeball on it this morning. Lol....."Potty mouth".
Thanks, doc......for helping me on my journey.

BTW....Where's your business out of?

doctorevil

SO CAL ride 365 days a year no hurricanes to dodge LOL

IronButt70

Quote from: doctorevil on July 19, 2019, 03:52:10 PM
SO CAL ride 365 days a year no hurricanes to dodge LOL
Only earthquakes. :bike:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

JT Metal

Ride fast & take chances.......

That's what we all do......

JT Metal

Hey doc......I was looking for clarification on getting started with install. Not very clear. I assume the thin shim & jutter spring are removed. And start things with thin friction then jutter spring (not clearwhich way it goes) then follow by friction then steel & so forth.

doctorevil

First small friction plate .second small spring plate looks like a bowl facing you. now alternate your frictions and steels.

FSG

So that Alto 095750NC is doing away with the Damper Spring Seat ?

doctorevil

the alto kit has 9 steels and 10 friction discs 1 more each than stock. stack ht is correct.

FSG

Quote from: doctorevil on July 21, 2019, 08:39:38 PM
the alto kit has 9 steels and 10 friction discs 1 more each than stock. stack ht is correct.

I know BUT your previous post says

QuoteFirst small friction plate .second small spring plate looks like a bowl facing you. now alternate your frictions and steels.

your use of friction plate is somewhat confusing, are you refering to items 3 and 4

Hillside Motorcycle

OEM fiber plates and steels with a Barnett spring and a VPC 95LT, holds 150/150.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JT Metal

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 22, 2019, 03:48:36 AM
OEM fiber plates and steels with a Barnett spring and a VPC 95LT, holds 150/150.

I'm pretty sure I've glazed the clutches. Didn't want to just change the spring and open it back up again.
Maybe I'm wrong.

joelp34252

Top of first gear. Sounds like the back tire slipping to me. I get a little slippage in fourth or fifth rolling on hard at 2500 but just avoid that by shifting down and no problem.

Joel 2001 FLHT

doctorevil

FSG plate 37883-98 is replaced with small friction disc. concave plate 377884-98 is retained unlike SE clutch set both are discarded.  Hillside the aim 95 plate is a great set up except many guys dont have the extra bills for it. the other problem is for little guys the clutch pull is pretty high at high rpm shifts. Props to you my dyno guy says your heads flow the best he has seen and we use mackie and branch.   :up:

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 22, 2019, 03:48:36 AM

I have the stock plates, SE spring and SE VPC on a 140/140 117"... no slipping.

doctorevil

I understand stock clutches are a good choice. Alto clutch sets my cost $ 100 bucks and work great in all HP configurations. Win win

JT Metal

Update.....took clutches out. Have to say the old fiber plates looked mint. I'm suspecting the diaphragm spring just wasn't doing its job. However I stuck the new clutches in and HD spring. So...let's see how that goes. I jumped on it a couple times without any slipping.

JT Metal

Update: all went good. Well.......haha.   It is my opinion that my clutch friction was in very good shape & that my stock diaphragm spring just couldn't hold, weak or what have you. Save $130++ and try the s.e.spring first.

JT Metal

The instructions didn't say anything about pulling drain bolt back in. Easy guys......

HogMike

Quote from: JT Metal on August 10, 2019, 10:22:52 AM
The instructions didn't say anything about pulling drain bolt back in. Easy guys......

That has NEVER happened to any of us.
Right guys?
:banghead:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kouack

Quote from: HOGMIKE on August 10, 2019, 11:13:50 AM

Right guys?

Right!  :kick: lol

FXDBI

Quote from: kouack on August 10, 2019, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: HOGMIKE on August 10, 2019, 11:13:50 AM

Right guys?

Right!  :kick: lol

:embarrassed:  not that many will admit to anyhow...  Bob

JT Metal

"Potty mouth".....I was on a roll when all that went down. Didn't take one second to lookout below.......... hahaha....no worries.

FSG

Quote from: doctorevil on July 22, 2019, 08:49:36 AM
FSG plate 37883-98 is replaced with small friction disc. concave plate 377884-98 is retained unlike SE clutch set both are discarded.  Hillside the aim 95 plate is a great set up except many guys dont have the extra bills for it. the other problem is for little guys the clutch pull is pretty high at high rpm shifts. Props to you my dyno guy says your heads flow the best he has seen and we use mackie and branch.   :up:

so what is the thickness of that double sided narrow friction disc P/N 095782AC387 ?