April 26, 2024, 09:43:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Some updated on the hot rod

Started by Seanrocco20, July 20, 2019, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanrocco20

So, 3 years later on my 124 build it was time to do a tear down. Was getting a bit of smoke and oil consumption.
Engine had easily 150 passes on her and every bit of that many dyno pulls.
I was able to get the bike to run 10.71 @ 131 with the air cleaner and muffler on my very best day,

Crank was out .004" and cam plate had cracked around pinion shaft.

Time to order parts:
5 piece flywheel set from r&r cycle (tcA with a machined spacer on sprocket shaft side)
Carrillo pistons and rods
Red shift 725g camshafts
B1 heads (bolt circle and push rod holes moved)
S&s g-extreme (ty pwmorris !!)
Another super D  [attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]

Seanrocco20

Had to modify the manifold as it was for std heads, that was way less fun than expected, heads needed some love to fit components in the chassis, and all the other goodies, but I'm hoping close enough that I'd share come progress

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

BVHOG

Nice, I'd love to hear more about that chassis setup.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Seanrocco20

Quote from: BVHOG on July 21, 2019, 06:42:17 AM
Nice, I'd love to hear more about that chassis setup.

2001 softail chassis
Brock's 3-6" fxr swingarm
Mill tail of transmission where pivot bolt goes through for clearance
Add 4 timken bearings (2 per side) to swingarm pivots
7/8" 4140 pivot bolt (5/8" doesn't last too long, neither does 4130)
Custom works performance shocks with 5/8" (.0625) eye holes
4140 25mm rear axle (Brock's axle lasted 2 dyno pulls)
2008 dyna rear wheel

Shocks use 5/8" grade 8  bolts through the stock fender strut locations ( just had to open the holes from 3/8 to 5/8")

Front is a Kraus ohlins setup for a dyna with their trees axle and fixins
Front fended is from some sort of sport bike

The only thing that has been "cut" or possibly make anyone cringe is removing appx .125" from the tail of the trans case. If going back to stock was ever necessary  a spacer could easily be made and never noticed.

Owned and ridden several dynas and fxrs, I prefer this swingarm-trans-engine configuration by far

Weight with Harley spoked wheels and a full tank of fuel: 540lbs

If one was to hot rod a dyna or fxr similar $$ and time would be spent, however I had a softail frame with a title

My only regret is being limited to the "b" engine case, as I'm sure I will soon be dreaming of combos that are only possible with pro stock cases.

Seanrocco20

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 20, 2019, 06:29:22 PM
WOW, nice setup!!   :up: :up:

~John

Ty, it's hard to be different and efficient at the same time.
Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm pulling it off.

1workinman

Quote from: Seanrocco20 on July 20, 2019, 11:27:34 AM
So, 3 years later on my 124 build it was time to do a tear down. Was getting a bit of smoke and oil consumption.
Engine had easily 150 passes on her and every bit of that many dyno pulls.
I was able to get the bike to run 10.71 @ 131 with the air cleaner and muffler on my very best day,

Crank was out .004" and cam plate had cracked around pinion shaft.

Time to order parts:
5 piece flywheel set from r&r cycle (tcA with a machined spacer on sprocket shaft side)
Carrillo pistons and rods
Red shift 725g camshafts
B1 heads (bolt circle and push rod holes moved)
S&s g-extreme (ty pwmorris !!)
Another super D  [attach=0,msg1307654]  [attach=1,msg1307654]  [attach=2,msg1307654]  [attach=3,msg1307654]
I ordered a few things from them in the past so when I needed to order a new starter clutch for my 145 inch in the Road Glide I called up and after I got through ordering the part I mentioned my latest project and they just finished up a 145 with some interesting things including  a crank and h beam rods made there I assume . Made a mental note there . I had no idea they did that work there

Nastytls

Looks pretty badass.

What is the purpose behind the camchest vent? Can't say I've ever seen a vent in one before.

Seanrocco20

Quote from: Nastytls on August 02, 2019, 03:54:47 AM
Looks pretty badass.

What is the purpose behind the camchest vent? Can't say I've ever seen a vent in one before.

Trying to evacuate as much pressure as possible. There are no breathers I. These heads, as there is no real room with the manifold.
Also going to vent the valve covers if anybody has a suggestion for the cleanest way to go about that

Seanrocco20

It's together. Needs lots of little things before we even think of tuning but I'm happy to see it off the lift for a change.  [attach=0]

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Those exhaust pipes are going to kill the low end torque! :hyst:

Looks like a fun ride!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Seanrocco20 on August 06, 2019, 06:37:55 PM
It's together. Needs lots of little things before we even think of tuning but I'm happy to see it off the lift for a change.  [attach=0,msg1310127]

Like how you moved the pipe to clear your leg.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hillside Motorcycle

You already know this, but a set of RC or PM aluminum wheels will help your program, both ET and mph.
Our PM front wheel on our old AHDRA bike weighed 6.6 lbs w/o bearings.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Seanrocco20

Thanks to all, have been working on this one for a while

And Scott, thank you for everything! I have a Kosman 3 spoke for the rear, having a hard time finding one for the front. Was really happy to loose a pretty good chunk of weight switching to the sportster tank tho.

If anyone doesn't already know, Scott is a stand up guy and has a lot of experience and knowledge

I hope to get things sorted soon and put a tune up in her and get to the track. Will keep everyone posted

pwmorris

Looks great! :up:
Nice to see the manifold re-purposed and lookin' sharp.

Call Dave at Trac (661-295-1956), he can set you up for your application and get you an RC teardrop front rim for your bike.

Seanrocco20

Thanks Paul! 

Am I really going to have to go to the 2 stage lockup (mtc style) when I call John over at bandit?

pwmorris

Quote from: Seanrocco20 on August 07, 2019, 04:22:53 PM
Thanks Paul! 

Am I really going to have to go to the 2 stage lockup (mtc style) when I call John over at bandit?
Lol....
If you want to go faster!
Yeah, open up that checkbook and go Bandit/MTC....all day. Strength, modern lock up tech, and easy to change springs (super EZ).
Bandit with their old school single stage (I had one, and sold it as it was a wheelie machine once the lock up engaged), only works consistently well on a bar/slick bike. Just very limited on launching at high rpm a no bar bike.
You could even go more modern with full MTC Gen 2 (Bandit or MPS might get it for you-Bandit is great at setting up a clutch  pre shipping based on your bike, HP, and goals), that works off engine rpm like a slipper.....
About 2 grand..

https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MTC/GenIIClutch.asp

CndUltra88

Looks much better in the driveway than on the lift.
Congrats !
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Seanrocco20

Bike is running, have a few oil changes through it and I'm really impressed. Obviously won't know till we tune. Have it close enough to kinda ride it
88m
36I
68AB
36*
C12

I'll report what it ends up being

Called John McGee today, MTC unit is on its way.  No idea what to expect, but John says it will "open a new chapter with my motorcycle".

Probably going to make some more comfortable foot controls as well

More pics soon.

pwmorris

Quote from: Seanrocco20 on August 15, 2019, 12:27:22 PM
Bike is running, have a few oil changes through it and I'm really impressed. Obviously won't know till we tune. Have it close enough to kinda ride it
88m
36I
68AB
36*
C12

Called John McGee today, MTC unit is on its way.  No idea what to expect, but John says it will "open a new chapter with my motorcycle".

More pics soon.
:up:
Nice-
As far as fuel delivery, I found thru testing that the front carb liked more fuel than the rear (also on my street bike same thing), but I ran Novi stacks and not the air horns you have, so your set up may be different.
Keep up posted!

Ohio HD

That is one awesome bike Sean.      :up:

Boe Cole

Love the bike.  Really doubt many people want to go against you on the street.  Just listening to the pipes would scare most contenders away!!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Seanrocco20

Quote from: pwmorris on August 15, 2019, 03:10:09 PM
Quote from: Seanrocco20 on August 15, 2019, 12:27:22 PM
88m
36I
68AB
36*
C12

More pics soon.
:up:
Nice-
As far as fuel delivery, I found thru testing that the front carb liked more fuel than the rear (also on my street bike same thing), but I ran Novi stacks and not the air horns you have, so your set up may be different.
Keep up posted!

Been trying to find a set of those things since before I bought that manifold!!!
No idea how many of them were made, but the ones that are out there are well guarded lol.

Also dropped the rear carb to 84m today, and did see a difference. You're definitely on to something there.

Seanrocco20

Started working on the foot control project today as well.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Seanrocco20

Seanrocco20

Made some air cleaners fit on there yesterday. Really makes a difference trying to ride it on the street, no more angry turbulence problem