April 26, 2024, 10:36:09 AM

News:

Side/Jam Door Bearings

Started by rodneyjeanes, July 26, 2019, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneyjeanes

Loud Rattling Noise from Transmission
My 2010 Ultra Classic with 96 c.i. engine has a loud internal rattle noise that seems to be coming from right side near the transmission side cover. The noise is most severe in neutral with the bike on the side stand. When the bike is straight up the noise always goes away. The noise is also present in 1st & 2nd gears while accelerating but not present if constant speed is maintained. I have changed the transmission fluid and found significant metal particles. I pulled the transmission side cover and found more metal flake. I have pulled the primary drive assembly and rotor to inspect and found nothing unusually around the compensator or behind the rotor around the stator. Took it to the dealer and they said it has bad transmission side door bearings. Estimated cost for repair is $885. Does this diagnosis sound right? Since the noise is present in neutral and goes away when on the side stand, I am not sure they got it right. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Rodney

les

Sorry that I can't say if the dealer got the problem pin-point right.  But my approach would be to put the gear set on my bench and examine the trap door bearings, the gear set needle bearings and spacers, the large main drive gear bearing (that's been known to be weak on the six-speed), the two needle bearings inside the main drive gear, and finally the countershaft bearing.  In other words, not try to be too surgical with the repair.

However, since labor for me is free 'cause I do the work, the parts I've mentioned above don't add up to a whole lot if it makes the tranny go another 70K miles trouble free.

rodneyjeanes

Thank you for your reply. I have been working on cars for 30 plus years but only wrenching on motorcycles for about 4 years. I don't have some of the specialty tools needed to pull the transmission from the housing. Do you have any suggestions of where I can locate the tools needed economically?

FXDBI

Quote from: rodneyjeanes on July 26, 2019, 01:44:34 PM
Thank you for your reply. I have been working on cars for 30 plus years but only wrenching on motorcycles for about 4 years. I don't have some of the specialty tools needed to pull the transmission from the housing. Do you have any suggestions of where I can locate the tools needed economically?

Don't need anything but a puller to pull the inner primary race to pull the cluster out. Shop manual is a must, parts manual is really handy for exploded views.  Bob

rigidthumper

I'd replace the main drive gear bearing while in there, as it is typically the source of the particles/metal flake found in the side cover/on the drain plug magnet. The new design from HD (8967A) is better than the original (8967), the Timken style setup from Baker is better.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Trap Door Bearings have been an issue with Cruise Drives. As well as the Final Drive Gear as stated. Most times, the Door Bearings can be identified by engaging and dis-engaging the clutch in Neutral. If the noise lessens or disappears all together the Bearing are the culprit. With that being said, a badly worn Compensator can also sound much like the same transferring sound. But, if there is no noise on the Primary side, it's probably the Door Bearings.

The Final Drive Gear Bearings and Seal usually present with Transmission Fluid behind the Primary. And, can sometimes be confused with the Sifter-Shaft-Seal. It's easier to purchase the Final Drive Gear Kit (assembled) for $109 rather than change all the bearings and such on the shaft which is about $50

You will need

Primary Locking Bar
Primary Drive Pulley Socket
Trap Door Bearing Puller and Installer
Final Drive Gear Remover / Installer
Final Drive Gear Bearing and Race Remover and Installer

These tools will cost as much as the Labor the Repair facility wants. Some suppliers are: George's Garage, Jimm's, Heartland, Snap-On (which is Jimm's. just re-branded)
Tom