March 29, 2024, 12:47:54 AM

News:

Rocker arms hitting rocker arm support....

Started by hattitude, July 26, 2019, 04:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I've been chasing a valve noise (ticking sound) since I upgraded the cam plate in my '03 Heritage w/95ci kit.

I went with the '07+ cam plate, Andrews 26N cams, Johnson Hylift lifters, and new inner cam bearings (Koyo-Torrigton). I also added rockouts, even though I didn't have any valve noise before the upgrade, just to be safe. I originally used the OEM pushrods, but when I checked my work last time, I decided to use S&S adjustable pushrods, and put the lifters at .141" preload.

Other than the ticking, it runs very well......

Everyone says the Andrews 26 cams should not be noisier than the SE203s I had in there before the cam plate upgrade. I have been back into the cam chest 2X to check my work, and this is the 3X I've pulled the rocker arms... Prior to this rocker arm inspection, I've not found anything wrong..

I remember reading on this forum a thread where the rocker arms were hitting the support, and leaving marks on it. That's why I decided to check it again. I found those contact marks on each of the rocker arms, at their base.

Here are pics of the marks I found. They look like the contact marks I saw in the thread on this. I believe they have been made by the rocker arm contacting the base.... I suspect this is my ticking noise ...

I just searched, but can't find that thread again.... I don't remember what everyone said was the cause and the fix....?????

Chippitt68

Concensus was the marks happen while the supports are off the heads. I thought the same thing about my arms/ supports but I didn't think it thru. Look how far the arm would have to come down to hit the support. Mine ended up being a bad bushing in the arm itself. Take em apart and measure them. Make sure they have no play up and down. Mine was way out of spec.

hattitude

Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 26, 2019, 04:51:28 PM
Concensus was the marks happen while the supports are off the heads. I thought the same thing about my arms/ supports but I didn't think it thru. Look how far the arm would have to come down to hit the support. Mine ended up being a bad bushing in the arm itself. Take em apart and measure them. Make sure they have no play up and down. Mine was way out of spec.

:up:

rbabos

Don't think they will be that low when hooked up to the pushrods. Like caused from bench activity.
Ron

hattitude

Quote from: rbabos on July 28, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
Don't think they will be that low when hooked up to the pushrods. Like caused from bench activity.
Ron

I put the engine back together tonight, and it doesn't look like it would be possible for them to touch with pushrods in place. Most certainly done when they were out or the rocker boxes....

I just had a vague memory about a thread that talked about marks similar to these and didn't remember the facts....

chaos901

Maybe just rattle around during shipping.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

klammer76

Quote from: hattitude on July 28, 2019, 09:45:09 PM
Quote from: rbabos on July 28, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
Ron

I put the engine back together tonight, and it doesn't look like it would be possible for them to touch with pushrods in place. Most certainly done when they were out or the rocker boxes....

I just had a vague memory about a thread that talked about marks similar to these and didn't remember the facts....
I noticed the same thing last winter on my 2002. I put it together mocked up and as you noted, no way they could hit while assembled.