April 26, 2024, 02:03:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

All Balls starter clutch

Started by Flhfxd, August 08, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flhfxd

August 08, 2019, 01:49:15 PM Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:12:02 PM by Flhfxd
Just replaced the starter clutch on my buddy's 2010 FLHX with (supposedly) the right All Balls replacement part #792104. Upon starting the bike could hear obvious gear whine so shut it down and investigated. Ended up reinstalling the old original which cured the whining sound. Compared both parts and they're close but different. AB part has more geared surface area. Did they send my buddy the wrong part?
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Prostock

Per Tucker Rockies book, that is the correct part number.

smoserx1

Probably would get quieter with some use.

1workinman

Quote from: Flhfxd on August 08, 2019, 01:49:15 PM
Just replaced the starter clutch on my buddy's 2010 FLHX with (supposedly) the right All Balls replacement part #792104. Upon starting the bike could hear obvious gear whine so shut it down and investigated. Ended up reinstalling the old original which cured the whining sound. Compared both parts and they're close but different. AB part has more geared surface area. Did they send my buddy the wrong part?
I just or a couple weeks ago replaced my starter clutch as the 145 was a tad hard on it . Made a terrible noise and I knew for sure it scrapped out the ring gear . But not just the I assume the one way sprag was getting a work out .lol I ordered a new one from RR . It did not make any whining noises after installing . I will say that changing out the damn thing was a chore . I made a mandrel to help me next time if I have to .   

86fxwg

The all ballz drive comes with the ball bearing already installed. Sounds like u may have added the ball bearing from ur original drive on top of the already installed bearing. If this is done the drive gear wont return deep enuff into the starter housing causing  all kinds of noise.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Flhfxd

Quote from: 86fxwg on August 09, 2019, 03:25:52 AM
The all ballz drive comes with the ball bearing already installed. Sounds like u may have added the ball bearing from ur original drive on top of the already installed bearing. If this is done the drive gear wont return deep enuff into the starter housing causing  all kinds of noise.

There was a specific refernce to this inside the box. It said to be sure to transfer the original ball bearing to the new drive clutch....I will have to confirm this....sounds like the problem though. Thx.

rredneckn2

86 x2 on that.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Flhfxd on August 08, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

Im curious as to why changing to the All Balls in the first place if the stock one is working? If you are having problems with the stock one then I would seriously consider taking a look at the compensator if it is stock. Stock compensators have a tendency to go bad and take out starter clutches and would hate to see you have to replace another starter clutch again in the near future...Jimmy

Flhfxd

Yeah but not my bike. My buddy is throwing parts at a problem and I know he just wants to do it his way. I told him about the compensator but he's not even going to think about it unless this doesn't work.

PoorUB

What problem is he trying to "repair"?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Flhfxd

Quote from: PoorUB on August 09, 2019, 05:10:13 PM
What problem is he trying to "repair"?

Harsh knock and shitty sounding starter when he fires up the bike. I think it's just the starter but I have been wrong before.

PoorUB

The 2010 compensators were crap. I went through the original, two OEM replacements and two SE comps. The first three lasted about 15,000 each, for me that was one a year. The last SE comp had all the new good stuff and is probably still in the motorcycle.

If he has anything over 10,000 miles on it and never replaced the compensater I would ASAP. They go bad and bang on start up and also cause the starter to stall while cranking.

I seriously doubt he has a bad starter.

jamminhd2000

Quote from: PoorUB on August 10, 2019, 06:27:57 AM
The 2010 compensators were crap. I went through the original, two OEM replacements and two SE comps. The first three lasted about 15,000 each, for me that was one a year. The last SE comp had all the new good stuff and is probably still in the motorcycle.

If he has anything over 10,000 miles on it and never replaced the compensater I would ASAP. They go bad and bang on start up and also cause the starter to stall while cranking.

I seriously doubt he has a bad starter.
:agree:
I had the same problem with the bang on startup and grinding starter clutch on my 09 streetglide....installed se comp and checked belleville spring stack per thread on htt....no more problems

Flhfxd

Ok. Any other symptoms with bad compensator after the engine is started? Can you hear it knocking around....? Does it make metal / contaminate the oil in the primary?

Flhfxd

👍. This. Didn't know the AB already had the ball bearing inside.

PoorUB

Quote from: Flhfxd on August 10, 2019, 01:14:07 PM
Ok. Any other symptoms with bad compensator after the engine is started? Can you hear it knocking around....? Does it make metal / contaminate the oil in the primary?

It will knock while lugging the engine. If you put it in first gear, roll on down the road, apply the bakes lightly and give it some throttle the comp will probably clatter. Taking off from a stop will make then clatter too. Seriously, if it is the original compensator, just replace it, don't even bother! If you take off the primary cover and the comp has a torx bolt holding it on and a plastic tray glued into the primary cover it has the latest and greatest compensator, if not, replace it!

Any idea of the miles on the motorcycle? Has he owned it since new?

Flhfxd

Quote from: PoorUB on August 10, 2019, 04:08:59 PM
Quote from: Flhfxd on August 10, 2019, 01:14:07 PM

It will knock while lugging the engine. If you put it in first gear, roll on down the road, apply the bakes lightly and give it some throttle the comp will probably clatter. Taking off from a stop will make then clatter too. Seriously, if it is the original compensator, just replace it, don't even bother! If you take off the primary cover and the comp has a torx bolt holding it on and a plastic tray glued into the primary cover it has the latest and greatest compensator, if not, replace it!

Any idea of the miles on the motorcycle? Has he owned it since new?

17000 miles. He bought it used couple years ago. It had 10000 on it. Never rode it much. Busy. Sounds good now. I told him about the comp. Will keep an eye on it for noise. Thx for all the suggs.