April 16, 2024, 01:30:20 PM

News:

The "KLUNK"

Started by Panzer, April 26, 2018, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

The famous Harley klunk is what I'm referring too when shifting into first.
I've tried waiting for a few seconds, clutch in and out a couple of times, heaver oil in chain case, for whatever reason and still I get the KLUNK.

I know Harley's are noted for it but what the heck.   I can't see hammering the gears if I can help it.
Probably asking the age old question............can the "klunk" be soften or eliminated?
Just wondering is all.  :nix:

TIA...........Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Xyzzy

I'm not convinced that the clunk hurts anything.

Maybe think of it as an "audible shift indicator"?

Breeze

I'm with Panzer, I know the Klunk is normal, but it makes me feel like that person grinding 1st gear in a standard shift car. I've tried a lot of things to soften or stop it, and the best result is when I pull the clutch, put some upward (like going to 2nd) pressure on the lever for about 2 seconds, then easing the lever into 1st.  Sometimes it just silently slips into gear, sometimes it klunks. Ah, well, it keeps me entertained at stop lights (yes, I'm a neutral at stop person).
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Pete_Vit

I feel the same way, I alway figured it was me, I did the same thing Panz, try pulling the clutch in, wait, not a difference at all. Even some newer bikes I've test rode, (2011 Ultra)  :hyst: did the same thing
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Xyzzy on April 26, 2018, 08:12:45 PM
I'm not convinced that the clunk hurts anything.

Maybe think of it as an "audible shift indicator"?
:up: there ya go, so you know your in first, you can hear it over the exhaust   :hyst:

Hossamania

My '12 will klunk into first most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't and is smoothe as butter. I just go with it and bang that thing into gear.
There are several things you can try, like adjusting the clutch, different fluid, some more expensive fixes like new clutch plates, and some others that people have done that I can't think of right now.
A search here will lead you to some more posts about dealing with it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Panzer

Thanks gents for the feed.
Sitting along side a guy on a crouch rocket at a red light and you put it in first gear and it goes KLUNK, the guy just kinda looks at ya.
I just smile.  :SM:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

Yup, just look over and say that shifted a lot quieter than normal!

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on April 27, 2018, 08:14:41 AM
Yup, just look over and say that shifted a lot quieter than normal!

:up:    :SM:     that'll give the rocket rider something to talk about for a month    :hyst: 

J.Kinkade

Panzer, like you I get the klunk, you can make it less of a thump using lighter primary GB oil. when I could get it Redline MT worked well in my sporty . but has become hard to find in Australia. so I'm using BelRay sports seems ok. too thick loads clutch up causes plates to stick more. if tuning heavier oil. when you first start when motor cold. pull clutch hold it in full while you warm motor ( hold at 1,500 rev ) the plates free up a bit less of a clunk. heavy pressure plate cause it more too.

Rockout Rocker Products

Mobil 1 syn ATF with 4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement.  :up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

hogpipes1

April 28, 2018, 06:13:18 PM #11 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:24:01 PM by hogpipes1
My 2000 xl been doing  it for 18 yrs now . Changed all oils last wk. trans nice  and clean with about 4 k on it .. So it can't be doing much of anything but pisses me off.  Something H-D should of took care of yrs ago. I get a nice normal klunk if i can get the bike to roll some , even a push with my foot just get the wheel to  roll helps & with a low idle .            A slight incline it's smooth as butter.
Other trick i use  is drop it in gear when cranking to start , rolls right in , if  bike has been warmed up i just take off.

cyclobutch

Mines real horrible first time away after starting it. I try and ease that by clearing the clutch prior to starting the motor – in gear and push forward/back with the clutch pulled until I know it has slipped a little. But it's still horrible. I worry about gradually chewing out all the splines on the transmission in there.
B
'88 XLH1200

Xyzzy

Don't be ashamed of the clunk!

This is an antiquated mechanical device, not an electric toothbrush!

:hug:

hogpipes1

Sounds like you  have a lot of clutch drag. Heavy oil does it  no good . put some H-D trans oil  in it , adj. the clutch , chain , belt  ride off. You didn't say yr/ miles on the bike.
  Might be warped plates and only R&R  will fix that issue. Or like i mentioned drop it in gear as the starter is cranking Eng. No klunk  ride off slow til it warms up a bit.

Panzer

hogpipes1, she's an 07' 1200.
I try to start it in first eliminating the klunk.
Kinda scary as it wants to leap forward about 6 inches, causing a little pucker.
I believe that this is the real case for........"they all do that".

Klunk or not, the weather is great........lets ride.

hogpipes1

Jump ahead  tells it all . Clutch is not disengaged.  Point the finger at the heavy oil (drag) to start with.

Hossamania

Quote from: hogpipes1 on May 03, 2018, 10:32:29 AM
Jump ahead  tells it all . Clutch is not disengaged.  Point the finger at the heavy oil (drag) to start with.

I'm not a big fan of starting it in gear, especially when cold, just for that reason. Now you're putting all that extra drag on the starter, the cold oil, clutch plates trying to separate, and the gears and cold oil in the transmission because of the drag. It's fine when hot, such as stalling it in traffic and have to get going, the oil is thinner and the clutch plates can release much easier. Of course, if it is still jumping quite a bit when hot, that is another sign that the clutch needs adjusting.
I always have one of the brakes set when starting, as I may have started it in gear a time or two over the years, thinking it was in neutral.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on May 03, 2018, 01:15:26 PM
Quote from: hogpipes1 on May 03, 2018, 10:32:29 AM

I'm not a big fan of starting it in gear, especially when cold, just for that reason. Now you're putting all that extra drag on the starter, the cold oil, clutch plates trying to separate, and the gears and cold oil in the transmission because of the drag. It's fine when hot, such as stalling it in traffic and have to get going, the oil is thinner and the clutch plates can release much easier. Of course, if it is still jumping quite a bit when hot, that is another sign that the clutch needs adjusting.
I always have one of the brakes set when starting, as I may have started it in gear a time or two over the years, thinking it was in neutral.
:embarrassed: ya - never done that before

Panzer

Agree with you all on starting cold, it really pulls the starter down.
No heavy oil used, using Mobil 1.

So damn if you do and damned if you don't.
Leap or klunk when cold, your call.  :nix:

"They all do that".

hogpipes1

May 04, 2018, 07:46:43 AM #20 Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:52:00 AM by hogpipes1
What's heavy oil? ? When i say  drop it in gear, it's while the eng is a 1/2 sec  from runing, not in gear cranking , for  sure it's  too much a load on it all. So far  you haven't said  you done any adj to try and fix the issue? " They all don't do  it that way" .Those are the ones that have not been looked at close enough over the yrs.. If you were buying  it new from dealer, and it jumped in gear  you would roll it back inside and tell them to fix it..  I would  pull the trans plug , refill with any 10/40 put 50 miles on it and see how it works the next day when cold.
Get some wrench time on this bike and see  how it all goes then.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Panzer on May 04, 2018, 05:43:35 AM
Agree with you all on starting cold, it really pulls the starter down.
No heavy oil used, using Mobil 1.

So damn if you do and damned if you don't.
Leap or klunk when cold, your call.
  :nix:

"They all do that".

Or you can try Mobil 1 syn ATF with 4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement.  :wink:

Panzer

Ha, Lubeguard, expensive, yes?  :emoGroan:

bensfatboy

Takes a little of practice, but if you are sitting at idle you can raise the rpm up minutely, and I mean minutely and click into gear like a rice burner.  Or you can rack the throttle up to a high rpm and when the rpm's are coming down you can shift without the clunk.  Takes practice though.

Rockout Rocker Products