March 28, 2024, 01:13:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sportster

Started by david lee, July 24, 2018, 07:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

just watched counting cars and danny pulled over a guy on a 1976 sportster and refered to it as a shovelhead.1st ive heard that

hogpipes1

Quote from: david lee on July 24, 2018, 07:53:29 PM
just watched counting cars and danny pulled over a guy on a 1976 sportster and refered to it as a shovelhead.1st ive heard that

Close but no go .Thats why he is a car guy.

david lee

J.Kinkade

76 XL has cast iron head. shovel has cast alloy head.
but in old days I did see a few Shov-sters, they normally had a big bore & shovel heads, I don't think shove head in itself was a better performing head, I think the Ironheads probably worked better, but was mostly weight saving. I think new to HD or car people look at IronHead rocker box & think Shovel, but ironed has a notch in middle and straight valve train.

Pete_Vit

That's why the called them Iron-Heads  :smilep: and the rocker boxes look similar to a Shovel, so I"m thinking He just didn't know what he was looking at  :idunno:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Panzer

I have an 07' sporty shovel.....pan.........dang, I gotta ask Danny what I have.  :embarrassed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

david lee

Quote from: Panzer on July 26, 2018, 07:17:32 PM
I have an 07' sporty shovel.....pan.........dang, I gotta ask Danny what I have.  :embarrassed:
a bit of all 3?

Panzer

Forget Danny.......thx Lee.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.