April 18, 2024, 07:39:01 AM

News:

Metal Fatique?

Started by dusty1, April 13, 2019, 07:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty1

Pulled lower end out of frame last weekend,disassembling with extreme care. Re-assembled oil pump, part of gearcase (missing cam still) , removed junk stator, heli coiled a damaged hole on motor case (inner primary fastener).   Sprocket shaft threads were damaged, a couple threads on outboard side of shaft good and 9/16 inch of good threads left on inboard side. Completely stripped off/gone in middle, greyish fine dust left behind. I think as long as it can take proper torque it will be ok. If it doesnt....lower end time  :emsad: Against my better judgement,was going to re-use motor mount fasteners. Rear mount torqued fine,one front bolt bent slightly and the nut stripped threads off bolt at less than 30 ft lbs. Im going to replace all fasteners now. This seems like metal fatique to me. Thoughts? This bike has been idle and  neglected in a barn for  45 years of frigid Colorado winters. 

76shuvlinoff

Bent and stripped fasteners? Was it in a wreck? Could be the results of a hammer mechanic in the past.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

Probably run loose and or wrong grade of fasteners.

New grade 8 Nylocks SAE thread and bolts too if needed.
Use thick hardened washers against the aluminum.

Since the inner primary bolt hole was stripped there may be more badness. The oring lip on the motor may be damaged.
Or there may be motor / trans alignment issues. I have had to shim the motor and or trans plate to get them to line up right.
Tweaked frames or custom frames that used poor jigs......

You would not believe some of the sloppy manufacturing I have found, like wide tire swing arms that are not square.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dusty1

Yes,bike was wrecked. Apparently it was owned by two brothers. After the wreck, mom made them park it. O-ring groove in excellent shape, might have to put in another helicoil in case.