March 28, 2024, 04:47:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Upgrades and PM

Started by IronButt70, February 18, 2019, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokyOwl

Quote from: PoorUB on March 04, 2019, 05:26:58 PM
You want dependability? IMO, the more you alter from factory the less dependable it becomes. Leave the heads on, it isn't worth it.

:agree:

I modded a car once.  I thought "OK this will be my fast car, it's going to be cool!"  Pretty simple bolt-on parts, nothing crazy.  $6k later a valve failed and destroyed the engine.  Never again.   :oops:  Live and learn.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

Shadowbennie

Quote from: PoorUB on March 04, 2019, 01:59:41 PM
This is the reason I swear I will not pull the heads any more. Way too many "may as well being it is apart".
Pull the heads, check the valves, send them out for guides, valves and seals. May as well clean up the ports and mill a few thousandths off. Oops,  the pistons are .008" down the hole, pull the cylinders to get the pistons at zero deck. Next think you know you have a 150 HP/150 FTLBS 124" with $10k invested! :doh:

Yep, this has happened recently - to me personally, but without the pulling of the cylinders part......and the 150/150 ft lbs part, so far  :dgust:

sprinkman

Might want to check all the oils primary, tranny.
sprinkman

Boe Cole

What tuner are you going to use?  Presume the TTS but it was not noted.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

IronButt70

Quote from: Boe Cole on March 22, 2019, 09:31:42 AM
What tuner are you going to use?  Presume the TTS but it was not noted.
Dyno-Jet PV. Already have the base map from fuel-moto for the cam and exhaust. Will use auto tune to tweak it. Autotune worked well when I went to stage 1 so I'm expecting the same with the new cam. If I can't get it to where I like it there are good tuners not too far away.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

IronButt70

Getting ready to start this project on Monday. Is any kind of sealant needed on the gaskets I replace?

calif phil

Quote from: IronButt70 on April 11, 2019, 09:15:54 AM
Getting ready to start this project on Monday. Is any kind of sealant needed on the gaskets I replace?

No sealant needed. 

IronButt70

Quote from: calif phil on April 11, 2019, 12:07:57 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on April 11, 2019, 09:15:54 AM

No sealant needed.
Thanks.

IronButt70

Project nearly complete. Fired it up last night on the lift. No strange sounds and it idled like it should. Will finish buttoning everything up today and take a test ride. Looking for the torque this cam is noted for. Butt dyno standing by.  :smiled:

calif phil

Those are great cams, you will like them.   

IronButt70

Quote from: calif phil on April 17, 2019, 11:49:57 AM
Those are great cams, you will like them.
What a difference. Especially down low. Don't know what happened with the base map Fuel Moto sent me for this cam and stage one exhaust but it was a no go. Bike wouldn't even idle. Run rough for 10-15 seconds then shut down. Flashed back to previous map. Going to call them about that. Took a 30 mile ride this afternoon. The exhaust definitely sounds different. Really noticeable when rolling hard on the throttle. I thought there might be slightly more valve train noise but I'm not sure. I always ride with music playing in my helmet so it is probably nothing.
Just a few takes from what I found. OEM inner cam bearings looked OK but I think the S&S ones will last longer without the cages. 3 of the 4 lifters looked good. The rollers were bright and shiny with no visible wear. The one from the rear exhaust had no shine left on the roller. No pittin or galling so I don't know if that means anything. The outer chain tensioner had grooves in it and was maybe 20% worn down. The inner tensioner had practically no wear marks at all.
It's been ages since I did any serious wrenching and it was fun getting my hands all oily and my shirt all sweaty. Looking forward to riding the trails near Laconia in June. Most of it will probably be 2 up with my oldest grand daughter so the extra torque will get a good workout. Thanks to all who chimed in with advise.  :chop:

IronButt70

Turns out it was Dynojet that provided me with the base map and not Fuel Moto. FM told me they have no experience with the TTS100 cams and couldn't offer any help.  :idunno:
Waiting to hear back from DJ.
On another note, are the OEM cams worth anything?

rigidthumper

Did they send you 16S1103023501 as a base map? I think that would be a close starter map.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 20, 2019, 05:31:46 AM
Did they send you 16S1103023501 as a base map? I think that would be a close starter map.
The map they sent was labeled 16S103 TTS100 2-1.pvt
Do you have a copy of the map you listed?

rigidthumper

You can also download it (and many more) here.

IronButt70

April 21, 2019, 05:24:37 AM #40 Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:30:55 AM by IronButt70
Quote from: rigidthumper on April 21, 2019, 05:21:45 AM
Thanks. I thought I'd been all over that site and yet somehow I missed that part.  :doh:

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 21, 2019, 05:21:45 AM
Since I have D&D Fatcat 2/1 do you think some of the other tunes with 2/1 exhaust might be better than the one you suggested?

rigidthumper

Yep- Look at 24503- I think it would be a better starter.

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 22, 2019, 08:51:03 AM
Yep- Look at 24503- I think it would be a better starter.
That would have been my first choice too. May try 24501 too. Thanks.

Here's a non related something I noticed today. Went for a 175 mile ride. All  back roads up and mostly superslab home. For some reason I seem to have about 3 more PSI of oil pressure than I had before the cam, lifter and bearing swaps even after the oil gets up to operating temp. Any explanation for that?  :idunno:

IronButt70

Loaded and ran the 24503 map yesterday afternoon. Still idles rough until the engine warms up but doesn't shut down like the first map they sent. A lot of popping during deceleration and between shifts. A revised map arrived today via email so I will test it this afternoon.

rigidthumper

Try running any basic auto tune sessions? These are "base/starter" maps, not "ride around for 500 miles before I go to the tuner" maps.

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 23, 2019, 07:27:00 AM
Try running any basic auto tune sessions? These are "base/starter" maps, not "ride around for 500 miles before I go to the tuner" maps.
Latest map from DJ is much better. Idles rough when cold but smooths out after engine heats up. Auto tune next up.

IronButt70

Quote from: IronButt70 on April 23, 2019, 07:15:03 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on April 23, 2019, 07:27:00 AM
Latest map from DJ is much better. Idles rough when cold but smooths out after engine heats up. Auto tune next up.
Did the first auto tune run. Start up idle is much better and the low end pull is just what I was looking for with this cam.  For those familiar with the PV tuner would more auto tune runs bring any noticeable improvements? TIA

rigidthumper

I'd do at least three to 5 narrow band ( basic) sessions, using the compare function to see the difference between each session.

lucasg

Ironbutt:  glad you're on way to getting the bike to rocknroll...3 months is a long time to wait.  Sorry to hear about the issues you had with the dealer, completely unacceptable as you said.  Sad to say but many dealers are all about $$ and numbers .  Send them out the door as fast as we can take there cash...unfortunate but true in many cases.