March 28, 2024, 07:47:06 AM

News:

Interesting Hot Rod Heads on eBay

Started by JW113, February 18, 2018, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Was surfing ebay for cheap entertainment, ran across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Ironhead-Sportster-900-S-S-Dragbike-Ness-Digger-Chopper-Heads/142691652957?hash=item213915d55d:g:GUYAAOSwEW9ahia5&vxp=mtr

What the hell? Ever seen/heard of heads like this before? Maybe set up for a twin throat Weber?

-John
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

They look really cool, be just neat as conversation pieces. Probably dual carbs I would suspect.

JW113

Thanks Gary!

One thing that got my attention is those heads are described as "chrome plated", which can be seen on the edges of the fins. The thermal emissivity of chrome is horrible. And on an iron head, which holds heat much more than aluminum, seems like a recipe for serious detonation. Maybe a fast blast down the 1/4 mile is what they were made for?

-JW

Ohio HD

As long as those heads have been around, hard telling how many bikes they've been on. Along the path they could have been on a show chopper of some type, maybe a completely chromed motor.

JW113

Completely chromed motor, yeah I've seen a few of those over the years. There's some serious form over function for ya!

Hillside Motorcycle

Show bike stuff, and an A for the effort.
An Iron XL head, even with porting/brazing, does not warrant the need for 2 carbs.....lol.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Brrrap

Quote from: Scott P on March 16, 2018, 04:04:06 AM
An Iron XL head, even with porting/brazing, does not warrant the need for 2 carbs.....lol.
Man cave wall art!  :up:
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Burnout

Over carburetion is a long standing tradition, couple that with some flatulent drag pipes, a kick starter, magneto, hand shifter, suicide clutch, and no front brake, you have the perfect recipe for a wet dream.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on March 16, 2018, 09:40:43 AM

Over carburetion is a long standing tradition, couple that with some flatulent drag pipes, a kick starter, magneto, hand shifter, suicide clutch, and no front brake, you have the perfect recipe for a wet dream.

One mean machine, not meant for sissies!!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Speaking of wall art...

It's spring cleaning time. Found this at a MMA swap meet years ago. Why I bought it, I have no idea. Oh wait, now I remember. It was CHEAP.

[attach=0]

This is a gen-u-wine Solex (Weber knock off) side draft twin throat carb, mounted on a Shovelhead/Ironhead style manifold.

[attach=1]

Interesting, it merges two carb carb tubes in to one, then back into two. Like an "X-Pipe" only on the intake side. Hey!

It came with a "spare" Solex carb. My guess they came off some 60's Mercedes or something. So what to do? Toss it, keep it, sell it.... decisions, decisions....

-JW

Ohio HD

I'd clean that up and make some type of man cave display. That's pretty neat.

JW113

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, clean it up real nice, mount in on my Ironhead with a couple velocity stacks, take a bunch of pics. Then pull it and hang it on the wall with the pics and a homemade fake plaque of 1st place at Fremont Raceway from "back in the day". Oh the wicked lies I could tell...
:hyst:

-JW

FSG

QuoteOh the wicked lies I could tell...

never ever let the truth interfere with a good story   :SM:   

JW113

Carl 1969

My dad's got one of those Dellorto 40mm dual throat carbs, that's been in a box in his garage for goin' on 40 years. No idea which model, but he said that for some reason it would've been a royal PITA to make it work on his 86" Shovelhead & went with dual 29mm Mikunis.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Burnout on March 16, 2018, 09:40:43 AM

............or a recipe for a sore right leg........ :smilep:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"