What is the best way to convert a 2002 Delphi EFI softail to carb?

Started by codyshop, May 01, 2019, 06:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

I'm guessing all that's required (outside of the mechanical stuff, that is) is a carbed softail  wiring harness and an OEM-type ignition module.  Thoughts?  Thanks

Scotty

Get a DTT FI-TO-CARBURETOR CONVERSION KIT
https://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=527541
Requires the separate purchase of a Pingel fuel injection-to-carb tank fitting kit PART #0705-0031 and a USB Interface kit 2101-0075

OR

Like you said get the carb wiring and ignition module and change the bikes wiring and you still need the Pingel adapter obviously.

If you have the time and patience and you are not going back to EFI ever then I have modified the existing harness and is easy enough.

Now you are going to have guys tell you to keep the EFI and get it tuned properly as that is the even easier option  :scoot:

prodrag1320

MM I can understand,but why would anyone take off a Delphi EFI to go to a carb?

klammer76

I just went the other way last falle, converted my 2002 FLH from carb to Delphi efi. As you mentioned, ignition harness, TB & sensors, coil, fuel tank & pump in my case. For you I would think Ignition harness, carb, coil(?), pingle adaptor for your tank. I ould get a parts book and compare the components between the efi & carbed softails for 2002. That is what I did with my FLH. Easy job.

04 SE Deuce

codyshop

Quote from: prodrag1320 on May 02, 2019, 03:53:38 AM

Customer's kid tried to jump start the bike from a running truck and made two small mistakes.  One, the cables were reversed and two, it was an older 24 volt rig.   What wasn't fried...was baked.   I'm trying to see if a carb conversion would be cheaper than replacing every single EFI component. 

Armin

Applying 24 volts with reversed polarity possibly destroyed the complete electrical system so consequently all components have to be examined for proper function and a total replacement might be necessary.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

BVHOG

Quote from: codyshop on May 02, 2019, 07:02:13 PM

Customer's kid tried to jump start the bike from a running truck and made two small mistakes.  One, the cables were reversed and two, it was an older 24 volt rig.   What wasn't fried...was baked.   I'm trying to see if a carb conversion would be cheaper than replacing every single EFI component.
The sensors are not that expensive and even if you have to pick up a used ecm it is still a better way to go than swapping to carb, I doubt the fuel pump is hurt either and if it is there is the option of  a new one at fuelpumpfactory.com
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

PC_Hater

Quote from: BVHOG on May 03, 2019, 05:37:02 AM
Quote from: codyshop on May 02, 2019, 07:02:13 PM

The sensors are not that expensive and even if you have to pick up a used ecm it is still a better way to go than swapping to carb, I doubt the fuel pump is hurt either and if it is there is the option of  a new one at fuelpumpfactory.com
The bike is 17 years old. I would convert to carb so it is easy to fix as the bike gets even older.
Finding faults and repairing them on old EFI systems is dashed difficult if you don't have the expensive software and tools.
I know the EFI is now trashed, I wouldn't want used parts. Nice new parts done properly by a nice man at Codyshop who knows what he is doing - yes!
Not cheap though... Go carb.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

machinist

"it was a black bike officer"